• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cell Phone Question

whithouston

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! We set sail on Dec. 19 and want to take/use my cell phone. We don't want to use it for voice or texts (way too much!!) But we do want to use it for data, sending pictures, email, facebook, etc. With Verizon it is an extra $2.17 a day for this, but I will get a $1.00 credit per day based on my original data plan, so it would only be $4.68 for the entire cruise. Has anyone ever used their phone onboard for data services and not voice/text? I plan on not answering any calls and having my text messaging blocked. I just want to make sure there aren't any hidden charges or anything I'm not thinking of! It doesn't seem like there is, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

Thanks!

Scott

You will still be charged the service fee from DCL shipboard cell service. Last I heard it was $2.49 PER MINUTE and that's for voice. I don't know what the data charge would be, probably higher.

The Wireless Maritime Service website says that we will only be billed from our wireless provider. This is why I am afraid to do it...no telling what hidden costs there are!

This is straight from the cellularatsea site:

Data Service

If your home carrier supports GPRS data service, you can use WMS with compatible GPRS data capable devices to check email, surf the web, and share photos while traveling just as you would at home. Charges will be conveniently billed to you by your home carrier.

That most likely means that any charges billed by CAS will appear on your cell phone provider bill.

You might want to email CAS for clarification to avoid issues. There have been several stories in the news of people using their phones to watch sporting events/shows and getting bills in the $1000's.

Verizon is a partner . This from their website.

Cruise Ship Rates
Voice Roaming Rate:
$2.49 per minute
Global Email Monthly Rate:
$69.99/mo or $64.99/mo(w/ Voice Plan) for Unlimited email
GlobalAccess Pay Per Use Rate:
$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)
Text Messaging Rates:
$0.50/address sent
$0.05/message received
Global Email Pay Per Use Rate:
$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)

Yeah, I knew that about the Verizon pricing...so you think the Cellular at Sea company tacks on other rates or I will just pay what Verizon has? I have called and left a message with the Cellular at Sea company asking this question.

Thanks!

FYI, The Cellular at Sea Service is SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWW. It is less than 19.2kbps. The Wifi/VSAT service works best when you are at port (when people are not on the ship) and at night (when folks are asleep). I am taking my sat phone next week.

I'm curious to this question as well. I also have Verizon... I called and no one mentioned the Cellular at Sea thing...
I run a business, and I expected to be able to contact them via Facebook. Now I'm worried.

The data service at sea is expensive (even the Verizon charges are 2.49 per minute, not per day!) and really slow. I'd recommend that you get international data plans from your providers and use them in port (you can do it standing on the ship in port, just need to not be at sea) and just be out of contact when you're at sea.

If you can't do that due to work or business reasons, then I'd recommend getting the DCL data package, it'll turn out cheaper to use their computers rather than a cell phone.

Yes, you will pay the Cellular at Sea rates on top of any charges your provider has. There are no cell towers at sea, on the ship you will be using Cellular at Seas system no matter who your provider is.
I think what confuses folks is that Cellular at Sea has an agreement with almost all the providers to have your charges put on your next cell phone bill, not your ship's account. That's what they mean by you will only be billed by your provider.

Called Cellular at Sea today and was told that they or Disney Cruise Line will charge me anything. All my charges will come only from Verizon. I do not plan on using my phone for calls (can't justify paying $2.49 on the ship and $1.99 at Port.) I plan on upgrading my data plan to the Global Email Data Plan for a prorated rate of $1.17 a day!! I want to access to e-mail, facebook, etc. Could also handle getting texts for $0.05...not too bad...

Comments?

Called Cellular at Sea today and was told that they or Disney Cruise Line will charge me anything. All my charges will come only from Verizon. I do not plan on using my phone for calls (can't justify paying $2.49 on the ship and $1.99 at Port.) I plan on upgrading my data plan to the Global Email Data Plan for a prorated rate of $1.17 a day!! I want to access to e-mail, facebook, etc. Could also handle getting texts for $0.05...not too bad...

Hi ~ we have Verizon as well, and I've been trying to figure out a way to try and stay in touch with my parents when we sail. My Mom is having some issues, and would like to try and contact them every other day or so. We sail in Feb (7 night) .....I'm wondering if after your trip, if it would be possible to report back on how this worked for you? I'd be curious, how much this ends up costing.

Work never really quits anymore :confused3 if you plan on "dialing in" for conference calls be advised that you may need to do some planning...

Because of the slow speed and the delay it is impossible to punch in a conference call code (successfully) and get connected to a conference call.
The solution is that you will need to have one of the particpants call you directly and conference you in. :thumbsup2

It takes a bit of practice to learn to anticipate the 2-3 second delay for your spoken words to be heard by everyone else (you end up talking over folks)... so better off to listen and then make all of your comments at the end.

And finally (as if the above is not enough warning) Let everyone know you will be on a ship. The "tinny" sound and the echo will be tolerated much better by everyone... I would not suggest calling in sick from the ship :rotfl2:

Comments?

I would really really double check that data number. That is not what I found. I think it is way way more than that. I just returned from cruise and had to be able to check into office.

Global access is 65/month (voice)
Global access connect (data) is 65/month (5GB (5,120MB) allowance ($0.05/MB after allowance)* and you must have a voice plan (up to $130 now and a $20 plus charge for over 1MB)

I tried and tried to get this to work and finally decided that the ship rate was better (even considered buying a no-plan phone to use in the Caribbean.....until I discovered that the US phones can call the caribbean but not call FROM the caribbean).

if they are offering you the dollar a day thing, make them put in writing.

Verizon is a partner . This from their website.

Cruise Ship Rates
Voice Roaming Rate:
$2.49 per minute
Global Email Monthly Rate:
$69.99/mo or $64.99/mo(w/ Voice Plan) for Unlimited email
GlobalAccess Pay Per Use Rate:
$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)
Text Messaging Rates:
$0.50/address sent
$0.05/message received
Global Email Pay Per Use Rate:
$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)

We sailed in January with Verizon and these were the exact rates we were charged. $2.49 a minute voice (Nothing else was added -- this was the Cellular at Sea rate, charged to us by Verizon). In addition our messages were 50 cents to send and 5 cents receive (again, no additional charges added to these).

I would really really double check that data number. That is not what I found. I think it is way way more than that. I just returned from cruise and had to be able to check into office.

Global access is 65/month (voice)
Global access connect (data) is 65/month (5GB (5,120MB) allowance ($0.05/MB after allowance)* and you must have a voice plan (up to $130 now and a $20 plus charge for over 1MB)

I tried and tried to get this to work and finally decided that the ship rate was better (even considered buying a no-plan phone to use in the Caribbean.....until I discovered that the US phones can call the caribbean but not call FROM the caribbean).

if they are offering you the dollar a day thing, make them put in writing.

Here is the breakdown:

It is $64.99 for the Global Email Data Plan. I am only getting charged for 4 days of it (at $2.17 a day.) I will be credited back a dollar a day for the current Data Plan I have, thus the $1.17 a day. I am not going to use Voice at all, just Data. I have had 3 different Verizon Customer Service agents tell me all the same thing.

I can tell you that on St. Thomas, ATT coverage is included in your normal monthly fees if you are on a national plan. We kept our phones off other than a quick call home on St. Thomas thinking we would be charged, only to learn it was included when we got back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter