• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cell Phone - short term

warrenite

Mouseketeer
Good Morning,

Unfortunately we are not able to travel with our normal phones.

Looking for advice for a short term, likely pay as you go, Cell phone plan to use while travelling to the states from Canada. We will be bringing our own phone, and ideally it will have service in Canada too for use just prior to our trip.

Any recommendations?

Has anyone signed up for mint mobile from Canada then activated once they're in range of a USA tower?

Thasks,
John

If you will need to be making calls back to Canada I recommend Jethro Mobile. I've used them my last 3 trips to the US. I pop their sim into my phone and I have calling (Canada and US) Data and Text (US only). They have a number of different options so you can choose what suits you best. This service doesn't work until you are in the US.

If you will need to be making calls back to Canada I recommend Jethro Mobile. I've used them my last 3 trips to the US. I pop their sim into my phone and I have calling (Canada and US) Data and Text (US only). They have a number of different options so you can choose what suits you best. This service doesn't work until you are in the US.
I just ordered this for my trip starting January 13, I hope it arrives on time. My phone doesn't support esim so I needed a physical sim card. I used to use Roam Mobility but they went away during the pandemic. Thanks for the info.

I just ordered this for my trip starting January 13, I hope it arrives on time. My phone doesn't support esim so I needed a physical sim card. I used to use Roam Mobility but they went away during the pandemic. Thanks for the info.
I used Jethro for our trip in November based on @ottawamom 's recommendation and was very happy with the service and price. I ordered it from Amazon for future reference and it was here in less than 24 hours. Worked seamlessly, in fact, better than hubby's Bell service when he needed to call home urgently. His calls kept dropping before family members could answer their phones but mine went thru fine.
I used it to call and text people both in the USA and Canada with zero issues.

I used Jethro for our trip in November based on @ottawamom 's recommendation and was very happy with the service and price. I ordered it from Amazon for future reference and it was here in less than 24 hours. Worked seamlessly, in fact, better than hubby's Bell service when he needed to call home urgently. His calls kept dropping before family members could answer their phones but mine went thru fine.
I used it to call and text people both in the USA and Canada with zero issues.
Jethro mobile sim card arrived today. That surprised me. So glad I found this post.

last few trips to wdw and dlp I bought a sim off amazon.ca - easy, peasy, just popped it in my phone after taking off in Toronto and turn on my phone upon landing at MCO. I know most canadian carriers do a roam like home but for me it was way cheaper and easier to go the amazon route. I bought the SIM2ROAM one.

For Jethro Mobile, does it require any pre-registration / online form filling? Also, does anyone know if their service would work in Hawaii? Thanks.

I'm using jethro right now.

Ahead of time you creat an account online, enter the sim card number, enter your personal information **along with any random US address** (I usually use the horel address) and u can set the start date.

Switch cards and it starts working as soon as you enter the US. U may need to restart the phone.

Just got off my cruise and used Airalo for the US and other ports (different plans). Worked like a charm and I was able to receive text messages and calls no problem, but use the eSIM data plan I selected.

I do think that the eSIM might be a bit difficult for anyone who is tech challenged (like my parents), but once you get how to do it, it's much more convenient than doing the old SIM card swap.

Thanks all. I ended up using Sim2Roam. They offer both old school SIM and eSIM options along with various country call/text and data plans. Including unlimited.

Have not activated yet, we're still counting down the days till our trip. I'll post opinions following our time in the sun!

just wanted to add another data-point for Jethro plans. I had a sim card in my amazon wish list for our upcoming trip since it's been more than the 60 days that the number is supposed to be "active" but decided to take a look at the Jethro site. I was able to renew the plan for significantly less money that buying the same plan and kept the same (very hard to remember!) phone number. I paid $25 for 5G , unlimited text and calls for 30 days - if i had gone for the 15 day plan they have it would have been $50, so be sure to check out the monthly options even if you won't be needing the number that long. Also check to see if you can renew your plan since that saved the cost of the sim card.

probably a stupid question but since I don't know the answer, here goes... When using Jethro mobile will you still receive text/imessages sent to your regular Canadian phone number? For example,messages from people who might not know that you're travelling or older family members who won't understand that you've temporarily using a different phone number

probably a stupid question but since I don't know the answer, here goes... When using Jethro mobile will you still receive text/imessages sent to your regular Canadian phone number? For example,messages from people who might not know that you're travelling or older family members who won't understand that you've temporarily using a different phone number
Simple answer, no if the Sim card isn't in a phone it can't receive calls or texts. Complicated and expensive answer is to use call forwarding- cost is obvious but the Complication is due to the many different carriers and how they do or don't allow you to do this at all! Also, I know with fido only calls can be forwarded but not texts.

Simple answer, no if the Sim card isn't in a phone it can't receive calls or texts. Complicated and expensive answer is to use call forwarding- cost is obvious but the Complication is due to the many different carriers and how they do or don't allow you to do this at all! Also, I know with fido only calls can be forwarded but not texts.
Thank you! I kinda suspected that this was the answer. I'm going to be in Florida for 3 weeks and I don't really want to alert everyone that we're away from home.

I’m a big proponent of Airalo having used it a ton over the last few years. But wondering if anyone here has used an eSIM option that has a US phone number attached? Not interested in any physical SIM cards as i don’t want to switch in and out.

In the past we have purchased a Tmobile unlimited sim card at Tmobile store which worked well for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter