CG Brunch or GF Cafe Breakfast

The13thLetter

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone, maybe this isn't a very good comparison question but we had planned all along to go to CG Brunch on our next trip but the more I read about the GF Cafe breakfast, I seem to be leaning that way a bit more (mostly because we are going to go to a park afterwards and I know for CG you need to be a bit more dressed up). Am I being crazy here?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Brunch at CG cost a heck of a lot more than at GF Cafe. CG cost $80 I think? FYI i've never had brunch at CG but GF cafe is quite good. Personally, $80 pp is a lot of money to spend on brunch. Not sure I would want to spend that kind of money on food to be honest. So for me, its a no brainer....GF cafe all the way. But that's just me.

Oh btw about the dressing up part... I wouldn't stress about that. CG is one of the more casual signature restaurants. I've seen a lot of folks in regular park clothing for dinner. So i can imagine it'll be even more casual for brunch.

Are you referring to 1900 Park Fare or Grand Floridian Cafe. I don't think you can compare. I believe brunch at CG is more casual dressed than dinner as many are going to the park before and or after.

Are you referring to 1900 Park Fare or Grand Floridian Cafe. I don't think you can compare. I believe brunch at CG is more casual dressed than dinner as many are going to the park before and or after.

Cafe, updated title, thanks!

We did the CG brunch this past Sunday. This was our second time doing the brunch and is still, in our opinion, hands down the BEST dining experience we've ever had at WDW! As far as how dressed up people are, we saw the full gamut... from dresses and sport coats to shorts and sneakers, so if that's what is preventing you from doing the brunch, don't worry about that at all! You do want to take your time with the CG brunch as it is a full experience. The GF Cafe will definitely be much shorter (about an hour still) than the brunch (you set the pace, so it all depends, but we took more than an hour- about 2) and definitely be less expensive (literally by hundreds of dollars).

Some additional items to consider: if you're driving, CG brunch includes valet parking. Now, obviously its intended to only be for the brunch, but we actually hopped on the monorail to look at the Christmas decorations at the other resorts and picked up our car after doing the full-circle trip with no issues. I suspect people also use the perk to park for a day at the park, but you didn't hear that from me ;)

Also, with your CG brunch receipt, you are able to return at night to watch HEA fireworks from the CG observation deck, which is a nice perk! Some people prefer to watch HEA in the park because of the castle projections though, so that's something to keep in mind.

...FYI- the CG brunch is now $90 a person. We were on the DDP, which uses 2 TS meals and includes a cocktail in addition to the unlimited mimosas. Not sure if you would want to indulge that much before going to a park, but it may make your park experience "more magical!" lol

Last edited:
First there really is no comparison food and experience wise. California Grill brunch is a truly one of a kind Disney experience serving some of the best breakfast food on property. It is pricey, but IMO it is very much worth the cost. As you said it is time consuming, but as a foodie for us its well worth it. When we did it and then went to a park afterwards and just brought some clothes to change into.

GFC has some decent breakfast items and we do enjoy it, but service tends to be pretty bad. But if you are looking for something more casual and quicker it fits the bill.

These two are really different experiences. I absolutely love the California Grill Brunch, but it is really expensive. I've done a 10am reservation before and made it to Animal Kingdom before 12pm so you don't have to linger really long if you don't want to. If the dress code is the only worry, don't worry. I've gone in park clothes every time I've dined there since we do the earliest time to be able to head to the parks right after. I haven't tried GF Cafe for breakfast so can't really comment there.

I think my biggest worries with CG are the dress code and getting to the park at a decent hour. I also thing if we do CG it will just be DW and myself and then we'd meet the rest of our party at MK, but at GFC we could all go. I heard the food at GFC breakfast was really good and its a monorail ride to MK (which is the park we are planning for that day) but I know it is not near the food at CG brunch despite obvious cost difference. Does anyone know the earliest they start brunch? and it is only Sundays right?

I think my biggest worries with CG are the dress code and getting to the park at a decent hour. I also thing if we do CG it will just be DW and myself and then we'd meet the rest of our party at MK, but at GFC we could all go. I heard the food at GFC breakfast was really good and its a monorail ride to MK (which is the park we are planning for that day) but I know it is not near the food at CG brunch despite obvious cost difference. Does anyone know the earliest they start brunch? and it is only Sundays right?
The earliest is 10am and yes it's only on Sundays. Dress code is not strictly enforced and you could easily go in your park clothes. You can walk to Magic Kingdom from there. I've never been to GFC for breakfast so I can't give an opinion on their food, although the lunch I had there was good. How would you be getting to the hotels? California Brunch you can valet for free and leave your car there to go to the park. You can only park at the Grand Floridian for three hours if you drive.

Hey everyone, maybe this isn't a very good comparison question but we had planned all along to go to CG Brunch on our next trip but the more I read about the GF Cafe breakfast, I seem to be leaning that way a bit more (mostly because we are going to go to a park afterwards and I know for CG you need to be a bit more dressed up). Am I being crazy here?

Cheers!
We stay at Contemporary and always eat at CA Grill.

We find the dinner to be hit-or-miss given the cost, on the other hand, we consistently enjoy the brunch. Yes, it's pricey, but you can certainly get your money's worth if your enjoy sushi and/or Champagne.

However, if you plan on going straight to the Parks from brunch, then one of the things I recommend to get your money's worth is bringing the petit fours (or more) back to your resort in a doggie-bag. Going directly to the Parks from brunch makes that somewhat less likely and, therefore, might adjust your calculus (mine too).

And FWIW, GF Cafe breakfast is not that special. I'm not sure that I find the quality justifying the prices. But we certainly enjoy the Grand Floridian and have used this notion, nonetheless, to go to GF Cafe for a meal.

The earliest is 10am and yes it's only on Sundays. Dress code is not strictly enforced and you could easily go in your park clothes. You can walk to Magic Kingdom from there. I've never been to GFC for breakfast so I can't give an opinion on their food, although the lunch I had there was good. How would you be getting to the hotels? California Brunch you can valet for free and leave your car there to go to the park. You can only park at the Grand Floridian for three hours if you drive.

We are staying at Beach Club so we will either cut through Epcot to get on the monorail or take a Lyft to either place. The earliest being 10 might put a damper on it because then I assume we wouldn't get to MK until like noon and that might be too late for us. I will most likely still try to get a reservation for CG as I go back and forth about this the next 8 months, but there are other options (Cape May at BC or Plaza in MK) on my list to consider. Again I know those are all different experiences than CG Brunch, but its possible that it may have to wait until our 2020 trip.

We are staying at Beach Club so we will either cut through Epcot to get on the monorail or take a Lyft to either place. The earliest being 10 might put a damper on it because then I assume we wouldn't get to MK until like noon and that might be too late for us. I will most likely still try to get a reservation for CG as I go back and forth about this the next 8 months, but there are other options (Cape May at BC or Plaza in MK) on my list to consider. Again I know those are all different experiences than CG Brunch, but its possible that it may have to wait until our 2020 trip.

Another option is to use the brunch as a break in your MK day- our brunch reservation was at 12:30pm, so if you went to MK at 9am, you could walk or monorail over to CG for brunch on a midday break. I know some people don't like to leave parks in the middle of the day, but for us we always need a break! :)

Another option is to use the brunch as a break in your MK day- our brunch reservation was at 12:30pm, so if you went to MK at 9am, you could walk or monorail over to CG for brunch on a midday break. I know some people don't like to leave parks in the middle of the day, but for us we always need a break! :)

That's not a bad idea. Although I might feel bad leaving the little one with the grandparents at MK while mommy and daddy indulge themselves a bit haha.

Oh btw about the dressing up part... I wouldn't stress about that. CG is one of the more casual signature restaurants. I've seen a lot of folks in regular park clothing for dinner. So i can imagine it'll be even more casual for brunch.
Agreed. We wore "park clothes" and walked to MK after brunch. Shorts, tennis shoes, and a polo shirt.

That's not a bad idea. Although I might feel bad leaving the little one with the grandparents at MK while mommy and daddy indulge themselves a bit haha.

Could you schedule them a fun lunch while y'all go to a late brunch? Like Crystal Palace? That way, at least they're sitting down and eating while the kiddo gets some character love?

We left my teens to babysit my niece in the room while the adults went to CG brunch lol. Theoretically they had a sleep in day.

I took my DS13 and his cousin to CG brunch, and the rest of the family went to Chef Mickeys with the little ones. It was a treat for my son's birthday, and worked out great for everyone.

Might have to look into having them a scheduled meal somewhere else at the same time (either in MK or on the monorail line). Good idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter