CG Sushi Question

heatherandnick

DIS Veteran
My only experience with sushi was last year at the Cali Grill. Our server knew I was a sushi virgin and gave me half shrimp tempura and half cali roll. I liked the shrimp tempura, but didn't really like the cali roll.

We are going back in a few weeks and I want to get sushi again. I have read so many good things about the spicy kazan roll. Is this too daring for a non-sushi person? I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but the whole "raw fish" thing kinda freaks me out. I'm not even sure what the spicy kazan is. Please give me your opinions!

Thanks!

Well I have become a bit more daring with sushi, no eel or octupus but I can do tuna, salmon, scallops, crab and tempura shrimp.

Now the kazan is quite spicy but very very good. I believe it does have some scallops on the top of it as well. Here is the description:

Spicy Kazan Roll - crab, shrimp, bay scallops, tuna and fireball sauce $22

I adore sushi and its one of my faves.. One of the reasons we go to CG!

Well I have become a bit more daring with sushi, no eel or octupus but I can do tuna, salmon, scallops, crab and tempura shrimp.

Now the kazan is quite spicy but very very good. I believe it does have some scallops on the top of it as well. Here is the description:

Spicy Kazan Roll - crab, shrimp, bay scallops, tuna and fireball sauce $22

I adore sushi and its one of my faves.. One of the reasons we go to CG!

Thanks for the info! I love spicy things!
Here's a silly question...Is the seafood in this cooked or raw? I know nothing about sushi, so please forgive my ignorance. :)

The spicey kazan roll is one of the best rolls I have ever had!! I can't remember if it was cooked or not.

I think the spicy kazan is a pretty good option for a "non sushi person". The only raw ingredient is the tuna and that is one element among many and fairly subtle. The crab, scallops, and shrimp are all cooked and the tempura crunch adds a nice texture. The sauce is quite spicy, definitely lives up to the name, which works very well with the sweeter seafood.

What didn't you like about the roll? That would help.

For years, I thought that I didn't like sushi - I finally worked out that I don't like seaweed; so, I don't like rolls, but enjoy sushi or sashimi.

For years, I thought that I didn't like sushi - I finally worked out that I don't like seaweed; so, I don't like rolls, but enjoy sushi or sashimi.

I am the same. I enjoy sushi and sashimi but do not care for all of the added ingredients that come with a roll.

I don't think i particularly like the seaweed either. i really liked the sweet sauce for the shrimp tempura.
It's not that I hated the Cali roll...i just liked the shrimp tempura much better.

I wonder if the will omit the tuna for me? I love the other items but not tuna

Finally tried sushi last month at our local place, all rolls were just $5 (love the summer in a dead seasonal town, great specials!) We tried the Mexican Roll (fried shrimp, avocado and spicy sauce), Lobster Roll and California Roll.

The one thing we didnt like about it at all was the seaweed...once we got rid of that we were hooked!

I dont think I can stomach the raw seafood but I would love to try other rolls....is that possible if you dont eat it raw? Kona has a nice looking sushi menu but everyone says Cali Grill is the place to get it

Maybe you liked the shrimp tempura one because it is made with soy paper instead of seaweed. I plan on asking for a Spicy Kazan made with that kind of paper since I do not like the traditional nori.

I wonder if the will omit the tuna for me? I love the other items but not tuna

Finally tried sushi last month at our local place, all rolls were just $5 (love the summer in a dead seasonal town, great specials!) We tried the Mexican Roll (fried shrimp, avocado and spicy sauce), Lobster Roll and California Roll.

The one thing we didnt like about it at all was the seaweed...once we got rid of that we were hooked!

I dont think I can stomach the raw seafood but I would love to try other rolls....is that possible if you dont eat it raw? Kona has a nice looking sushi menu but everyone says Cali Grill is the place to get it

We've customized sushi at CG plenty of times with no issues.

FWIW, the seaweed should never really have much of a taste or smell to it. If it does, it is not fresh enough. If you still don't care for it Nigiri is just fish on rice. That might be a better option for you or, as mentioned, try a shrimp tempura roll since they use the soy paper (it's white).

I was very anti-raw for the longest time but now enjoy salmon & tuna (haven't really been able to get into the white fishes). If you like lox on your bagel you can easily handle the salmon. I actually prefer spicy tuna since it is generally chopped a bit & tossed in a nice spicy sauce before going into the roll.

Honestly, with the Kazan, there are so many flavors that totally blend I don't think you will taste one over the other.

The sushi bar at Kona is very good. Options are not extensive & a little more straight forward than CG but what they do is nice (and about half the price) and they accept TiW. I especially enjoy their Volcano roll.

Maybe you liked the shrimp tempura one because it is made with soy paper instead of seaweed. I plan on asking for a Spicy Kazan made with that kind of paper since I do not like the traditional nori.

What a great idea!! I will get the spicy kazan roll with soy paper and no tuna. You guys are brilliant!

I am NOT a sushi fan (though I want to be and want to be) and for what its worth I tried the Spicy Kazan when my husband ordered it on our honeymoon and I could not tell that anything was raw at all. Aside from the nori taste it was very good.

Just remember sushi isn't always raw in fact a lot of sushi is completely cooked the word sushi has to do with the rice preparation.

I've been dying to try this!!! If your not on a dining plan would still consider this an appetizer or a meal??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter