Chances of Aug 2021 EU sailing?

disgreat

Earning My Ears
We are booked on the Aug 10, 2021 Northern EU cruise from Copenhagen. This is a re-book from the same cruise that was scheduled in Aug 2020.

Given the state of the pandemic and all of the viral variants, I have doubts that this cruise will sail in August. What does everyone think?

I am trying to decide whether to cancel my reservation now and book a 2022 cruise or wait until Disney cancels the cruise to see if I can get a better deal.

Last year, I chickened out early and changed my reservation before DCL offered their incentives. Should I wait or change my reservation now?

What do you think?

I would say... Don't book hotels and plane tickets (wait and see). I know Carnival cancelled all European cruises until the end of October. Doesn't mean DCL will do the same but IMO, it makes it a bit more likely.

I would probably wait until DCL cancels?

We are scheduled for July 6th out of Rome 11 night cruise and ending in Barcelona.
These cruises are not under the CDC because they are sailing out of Europe.
I am watching what happens, there are some cruises sailing from Rome soon, so we are waiting to see what happens with these.
The fact that DCL left the Magic in Europe gives me reason to think they may sail this Summer if it's possible.
We have refundable hotels booked and our airfare moved from last years failed cruise.
If the ship doesn't go and we are able we will use the airfare and go over for a week in Italy.

Its all a waiting game.

We are on the cruise right after yours and just waiting for Disney to release summer 2022 datesso we can move the cruise. I don't think this one will sail and if it does there will be a ton of restrictions. Plus we are coming from Canada so I doubt very much we will be able to leave the country without coming home to a strict quarantine.

I doubt this will sail or if it does it will be with a very different itinerary.

We’re also booked on this one. We won’t be going regardless unfortunately but I think the chances of it sailing at all are getting slimmer and slimmer.

We are on the same cruise as you. I think if it does sail it will be a modified itinerary. We are in the U.K. and have booked flights because they were £35 each so not much if it’s lost. We have a refundable rate on a hotel booked too. Our vaccine program is doing well and 1 in 5 people have now had their first jab but to be honest I’m still not sure that our borders will be open in August.

I had a Med booked last year and really want to go this year. I've got a FCC, but I just can't bring myself to book something. I really want to do Med/Europe, but realistically it isn't looking good. I'm completely happy to wear a mask as long as we get to go to Europe. That said, I don't want to go and still have things shut down. We intended to add a week in Paris, but if DLP, the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc. are all still not open, that would really decrease the likelihood of going.

Starting to think alternatives again for this year.

I had a Med booked last year and really want to go this year. I've got a FCC, but I just can't bring myself to book something. I really want to do Med/Europe, but realistically it isn't looking good. I'm completely happy to wear a mask as long as we get to go to Europe. That said, I don't want to go and still have things shut down. We intended to add a week in Paris, but if DLP, the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc. are all still not open, that would really decrease the likelihood of going.

Starting to think alternatives again for this year.

I don't mind wearing the mask on the cruise either, but if stops are skipped, then we will move it to 2022.
We are going to put a deposit down on Europe 2022 just in case.

I know we have a couple of europe people here. I always like it when you give your take on how things are faring. What are you hearing?

Of course, there is the component of actually getting there for us on this side.

I keep looking at rooms and there seem to be a decent amount of availability of most cruises (not the long Greek one or the one with Iceland...bucket list!), but the Meds seem to have a good amount of rooms still.

We're on the July 6th Magic as well. The very microsecond DCL extends the FCC (assuming they do), we're canceling and rebooking for 2022. I'm not going to waste the huge chunk of change I originally dropped on our 2020 cruise on a cruise with masks, restrictions on port travel and reduced entertainment. I don't see European ports opening wide up by July under any scenario (or Disney lifting the mask requirements) - so the cruise will be impacted, regardless....and thats enough for me to walk away with prejudice.

...and If DCL doesn't extend the FCC, I'm going to very quickly seek a refund and maybe we'll cruise Europe when all of this is a distant memory.

I would say highly unlikely that it will sail. We were also booked on the Aug 2020 version of this cruise but didn't rebook.

I'm on the September Norwegian Fjords. I'm a first time cruiser so I have nothing to compare with and everything will be a new experience. I have no issues with masks, or any restrictions Disney implement. I'm looking forward to the reduced capacity and very low numbers of children on board. My country Ireland has some of the strictest restrictions, currently all non essential business closed, mask mandates and a 5km limit from home for non essential reasons including exercise. For me, just to be able to be on the ship, and to be able to experience the Disney atmosphere , and to just escape from this reality will be worth it. I have no problem not doing port excursions, just the thought of being able to have a drink in my hand and watch the sunset as the ship sails up to Norway is getting me through each day.

I'm looking forward to the reduced capacity and very low numbers of children on board.

Why do you think there would be “very low numbers of children” on board? There is surely pent up demand for Disney family cruise vacations, especially if they start up shortly before that. I wouldn’t count on a low number of kids even with limited capacity and school starting around then. We can’t predict anything like that right now.

Why do you think there would be “very low numbers of children” on board? There is surely pent up demand for Disney family cruise vacations, especially if they start up shortly before that. I wouldn’t count on a low number of kids even with limited capacity and school starting around then. We can’t predict anything like that right now.

From all the research I have done, the Northern Europe itineraries have a lower number of children onboard compared to Mediterranean and Caribbean / Bahama itineraries This is due both to the ports and the time of year. The Northern Europe cruises are port intensive, and there not as much family and kid friendly ports and excursions compared to Mediterranean and Caribbean / Bahama itineraries. The cost of the cruise I am booked on is also alot higher than the Med cruises. My cruise is September and before Covid I specifically picked a September cruise for these reasons. Add in all thats been going on with Covid, I expect that it will be mainly adults, couples, groups of friends and solo travelers like me, rather than families who will be on cruises when they first start back. Look at the changing demographic of those currently going to Walt Disney World, I expect the same when cruises resume. Yes there is pent up demand, but it will be adults with disposable income, who are more flexible to change and adaptable to restrictions who will be on the Northern Europe cruises when they restart.

From all the research I have done, the Northern Europe itineraries have a lower number of children onboard compared to Mediterranean and Caribbean / Bahama itineraries This is due both to the ports and the time of year. The Northern Europe cruises are port intensive, and there not as much family and kid friendly ports and excursions compared to Mediterranean and Caribbean / Bahama itineraries. The cost of the cruise I am booked on is also alot higher than the Med cruises. My cruise is September and before Covid I specifically picked a September cruise for these reasons. Add in all thats been going on with Covid, I expect that it will be mainly adults, couples, groups of friends and solo travelers like me, rather than families who will be on cruises when they first start back. Look at the changing demographic of those currently going to Walt Disney World, I expect the same when cruises resume. Yes there is pent up demand, but it will be adults with disposable income, who are more flexible to change and adaptable to restrictions who will be on the Northern Europe cruises when they restart.
We haven't seen any fewer kids on Disney's Northern European cruises relative to those in the Med. What you will see though is a more diverse or international mix because of the short season. Most of these are unique itineraries and high on the to-do list of Disney families. Your point is very valid for the late-August and early-September cruises when most schools are either closed - or are about to.

To the OP: We are also on the 11-night Iceland and 10-night Baltic on Magic in August - separated by about a week of land travel in Germany - but see a very low chance of any of this happening. Still more likely that we will see cruising in Europe in the summer than in North America...

I could see it sailing with guests from EU countries only which would mean DCL needs to increase advertising in Europe to make it feasible.

I think you nailed it! If ships sail at all in Europe this summer (and I don't think they will) - they will be limited to those passengers residing in the EU.

I'm on the September Norwegian Fjords. I'm a first time cruiser so I have nothing to compare with and everything will be a new experience. I have no issues with masks, or any restrictions Disney implement. I'm looking forward to the reduced capacity and very low numbers of children on board. My country Ireland has some of the strictest restrictions, currently all non essential business closed, mask mandates and a 5km limit from home for non essential reasons including exercise. For me, just to be able to be on the ship, and to be able to experience the Disney atmosphere , and to just escape from this reality will be worth it. I have no problem not doing port excursions, just the thought of being able to have a drink in my hand and watch the sunset as the ship sails up to Norway is getting me through each day.

I think you’re sort of the exception though. Most people dropping $5-$20k on vacation are going to expect more than a room and a drink.
Disney is either going to have to contend with repeat cruisers disappointed in the changes, OR in the case of first time cruisers be left with customers who end the cruise thinking “this is it?, where we’re the shows? characters? ports?” and don’t become repeat cruisers or have negative feedback for friends/family/review sites. This is especially true if they are targeting EU passengers since they have hadan incredibly hard time breaking into that market and at those price points.

Its something all businesses have had to grapple with during CoVid- when does our ability to offer a quality product match our price point and customer expectations? The more expensive your service offering the more important that becomes.

I don't think there will be any cruises in Europe this year, borders will probably remain closed until the vaccine roll out is complete. I would cancel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter