Change in park opening times

lauris87

Mouseketeer
On June 8, it says MK will open at 9am. However, last year during the first week of June, they ended up opening early at 8am almost every day.
My question is, if Disney decides to open the park at 8am, how much advance notice do they normally give? 1 week? 24 hours? 48 hours?
I'm just concerned because if the park opens early, I will need to cancel my breakfast reservations....and I want to do that in time so I don't get charged.

On June 8, it says MK will open at 9am. However, last year during the first week of June, they ended up opening early at 8am almost every day.
My question is, if Disney decides to open the park at 8am, how much advance notice do they normally give? 1 week? 24 hours? 48 hours?
I'm just concerned because if the park opens early, I will need to cancel my breakfast reservations....and I want to do that in time so I don't get charged.
All of the above. Honestly. They decide anywhere from 1 day and out

MK moves their hours up all the time

first week of pandora open? they want the bad press to say it's so crowded people are waiting to get in :) I don't see it moving that specific week unless it's really miserable at mk.

All of the above. Honestly. They decide anywhere from 1 day and out

While we were in Disney back at the end of 2014, The Mouse decided to smack some evening EMH to New Year's Eve onto The Magic Kingdom. That EMH was put on, like you said, the day before.

The EMH was also from 1-3 AM!

I've been stalking the same day, for the same reason! I agree that last year they opened earlier that week, but if you look back at April and May, they seemed to have fewer early openings in general this year - there are several weeks that had lots of 8am opens last year that were 9am opens this year - maybe they like having everyone hanging out on Main Street and spending money for that first hour.:tongue:

I've clearly spend way too much time thinking about it... I'm operating under the assumption that the park will open at 9 and my plans will work (but will continue to check hours obsessively)

If Disney decides to open a park early, what happens with your pre-booked FPs? Do they remain at the same times?

I am so confused trying to figure this out...is there a chance they would open the park at 8AM if the posted opening is 9AM? I guess that is my biggest concern with my trip next week. Has anyone seen them do that? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge...I'm a local Disneylander, so I'm not as certain of myself with WDW.

huh...I have a BOG ADR that morning, changing hours never occurred to me. Will add checking park hours to the to do list starting next Monday.

I am so confused trying to figure this out...is there a chance they would open the park at 8AM if the posted opening is 9AM? I guess that is my biggest concern with my trip next week. Has anyone seen them do that? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge...I'm a local Disneylander, so I'm not as certain of myself with WDW.
Yes, they change hours all the time, with no notice.

There were previous reports on losing the purpose of PPO ADRs when park opened at 8 am instead of 9 am last minute. It can happen!

Ooof - hoping we don't get last minute park hour changes. Its ok, though. We are PPOing BOG because we want to see it and that time works best in our plans - the 7DMT advantage is just gravy. If they change the hours between now and then, even if we lose 30 or 45mins of that golden first hour of park time, it should still be not totally insane when we get done with breakfast. Worth it 'cause my kids think the idea of eating in the Beast's Castle is pretty cool.

(But it would be even cooler if all of my carefully constructed timelines work and we get to bang out a couple of headliners in the first half hour!)

Ooof - hoping we don't get last minute park hour changes. Its ok, though. We are PPOing BOG because we want to see it and that time works best in our plans - the 7DMT advantage is just gravy. If they change the hours between now and then, even if we lose 30 or 45mins of that golden first hour of park time, it should still be not totally insane when we get done with breakfast. Worth it 'cause my kids think the idea of eating in the Beast's Castle is pretty cool.

(But it would be even cooler if all of my carefully constructed timelines work and we get to bang out a couple of headliners in the first half hour!)

Be prepared to pitch your carefully constructed timelines by day 2. Disney and timelines don't mesh well. ;)

But you've got the right attitude - if the hours change all you can do is go with the flow. And the Beasts castle is most definitely cool!

Yes
If Disney decides to open a park early, what happens with your pre-booked FPs? Do they remain at the same times?
Your FP remains at the time you made your FP.
This will open up additional FP for the additional hour

Last edited:
Yes

Your ADR remains at the time you made your ADR. So while they offer an ADR 1 hour before a 9:00 AM opening if they move the opening to 8:00 AM they will not offer a 7:00 AM ADR
I think the PP was asking about FPs.

These changes happen every time. I just make my plans and let the chips fall where they may. It's one of the reasons I don't do PPO breakfasts too stressful to try to micromanage a situation where you don't have control. We can plan our best and it is useful because you have knowledge to be able to be spontaneous because we all will need to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter