Changes to Palo and Remy

The price increase was to be expected... somehow. If prix fixe is to ensure that a 4 course meal is a 4 course meal - with the same menu items as before (Palo), I can live with that. I have dined at Palo on a few occasions where people treated the menu as an all you can eat buffet. This does not only increase cost to DCL, but service time - so they can turn that table much less quickly. In the end, this may make Brunch much more appealing... and harder to get

So have I and that's why we can't have nice things. It's another case of people abusing the system.

We were in Disney last week, we paid $42 a person for breakfast at Chef Mickey, yes we had to pay for the character experience at this restaurant, but the food does not come close to what you get at Palo for brunch.
So when I think of Palo brunch and all you get for $45 it almost seems like a deal compared to Chef Mickey.

Be our Guest is $67 a person (lunch and dinner) and the food reviews are mediocre at best, again the characters (which is just Beast right now) and the atmosphere is part of the cost. But I love the view at Palo and a 4 course dinner for $45 and the food is amazing. The service at Palo is wonderful.

Just my thoughts when I compare other options and cost.
Another thing to consider is that you have already "paid" to eat so when you add the cost of specialty dining you would have to add that to the cost you have already paid. So to compare a $42 Chef Mickey to the $45 palo brunch its not apples to apples.

Another thing to consider is that you have already "paid" to eat so when you add the cost of specialty dining you would have to add that to the cost you have already paid. So to compare a $42 Chef Mickey to the $45 palo brunch its not apples to apples.

Yes, its a personal choice.
I was saying that the food at Palo is a million times better than Chef Mickey.
The breakfast you get on the cruise is Chef Mickey caliber, IMO

So have I and that's why we can't have nice things. It's another case of people abusing the system.
I don't think our experiences at PALO were unusual in that the servers would encourage you to try more and different offerings.
I don't think it's really "abusing" a system that operates that way.
Even at the breakfast buffet, where we would be EXPLICIT in wanting an omelet made with a SINGLE egg, the chef would insist on cracking at least two into his bowl.
It is something inherent in wanting to deliver more to the guests as part of a top-notch experience.
My humble opinion is that it's less a reaction to Guest behavior, than the overall trend from Disney Parks / Experiences to be charging more while offering less. That's a discussion for a different thread.

I don't think our experiences at PALO were unusual in that the servers would encourage you to try more and different offerings.
I don't think it's really "abusing" a system that operates that way.
Even at the breakfast buffet, where we would be EXPLICIT in wanting an omelet made with a SINGLE egg, the chef would insist on cracking at least two into his bowl.
It is something inherent in wanting to deliver more to the guests as part of a top-notch experience.
My humble opinion is that it's less a reaction to Guest behavior, than the overall trend from Disney Parks / Experiences to be charging more while offering less. That's a discussion for a different thread.

Very true. That's the Disney Way lately.

I’m platinum so I get free Palo. I giggled when I read this because my first thought was “as long as they don’t take the chicken parm off the menu at brunch, I don’t care what they do!” Ive never had the courage to go to Remy and pay that kind of money for a meal. Maybe when we go back.

I’m platinum so I get free Palo. I giggled when I read this because my first thought was “as long as they don’t take the chicken parm off the menu at brunch, I don’t care what they do!” Ive never had the courage to go to Remy and pay that kind of money for a meal. Maybe when we go back.
OMG, that chicken Parm is my favorite meal of all time!!!!! And being free (Platinum) makes it so much better.

We have always felt that Remy was worth the cost. The price increase doesn't phase me. We have never done Palo. Remy is a million times better than any specialty dining we have done on Celebrity, even better than the suite dining room. We have only done 1 Celebrity Cruise though, and it wasn't one of the newest ships. Remy is really on par with Victoria & Albert, which costs more than you pay for Remy.

That chicken parm is one of the best I’ve had for sure.

TBH the Remy upcharge is nothing compared to what this would cost me where I live (nyc/NJ) and I will happily pay it for the exquisite food. This is basically a $300+ meal at a huge discount for me and I really enjoy it. I'm sure the changes are due to the current global issue and supply issues caused by it. We just need to endure a bit.

Palo brunch was $5 on my first Disney cruise, 2001. Was not too impressed - perhaps because a server spilled orange juice on my plate and lap. Did not try Palo again until after we became platinum and we were impressed at the improvement. The increase is justified by supply and demand - to get a reservation we need to get online at midnight at 120 days. They could raise the price even more and still would fill every seat.

I would easily pay much more than $45 for an equivalent meal as Palo on land. No issues with that.

Palo brunch was $5 on my first Disney cruise, 2001. Was not too impressed - perhaps because a server spilled orange juice on my plate and lap. Did not try Palo again until after we became platinum and we were impressed at the improvement. The increase is justified by supply and demand - to get a reservation we need to get online at midnight at 120 days. They could raise the price even more and still would fill every seat.

My husband and I were talking about that price the other night, it's so crazy to think about now. Our first family cruise in 2002 was $1,400 for 7 nights for 2A 2K in a balcony room on The Magic.

We did the Remy "brunch" at it wasn't really a brunch at all--all the food was lunch/dinner type food, of exceptional quality. We were floored by how good it was, especially since it was quite a bit cheaper than dinner. Warning though: the champagne pairings are dangerously generous (and very very good)!

Also platinum and agree on the chicken, but I do miss that almond stollen they used to have. Dh and I did go to Remy on the Dream. It was nice, we liked it, but a bit beyond our experience. If we sail this September on Fantasy (fingers crossed) oldest son (now grown with a job) wants to treat me to Remy, so I'm looking forward to it.

Re: Palo, I know I'm in the minority, but their Lasagna is amazing. If you've not had it. Wow.

Re: Remy, I'd pay nearly double the current cost for that level of a meal in that environment. In DC that meal would run $400 minimum. Booze would put it over $550

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter