Changes to Pin Trading

Glad to see this change because it was getting worse. Hopefully it will be enforced. Last time we were there we saw traders spreading their books onto benches beyond the Westward Ho area.

This has been the rule for a long time. They may have changed the wording slightly, but it is not substantially different. They get around the ‘only 1 pin bag’ rule by claiming the bags belong to multiple family members or friends.

The reality is that for whatever reason Security has determined that it’s not worth the fight to enforce these rules so long as the traders are not being belligerent or disruptive… taking up multiple benches does not constitute disruptive behavior. I was told this specifically by a lead security CM when I stopped to comment on the issue at DCA’s GS. So it’s straight from the horses err, Mouse’s mouth. The Security CM I spoke to implied that it would be more disruptive to the overall guest experience to kick the traders out of the park, or make them move somewhere else.

Here’s what I don’t understand: if I wanted to bring, say, all my Disney tshirts (we have *A LOT* of them between DH and I dating all the way back to Grad Night 1987 :earseek:) to display and “trade”… you think they’d let me do that on property? Nope. Not a chance!

So, I hope it’s really true, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•
ETA: I remember when the traders had to set up outside the park near the picnic area to the far left of DL’s gates. This was way before DCA existed… the picnic area was basically where the lockers are now. It wasn’t a very big space, really... of course, I hardly ever remember many picnicker there.
The traders set up what looked to be their own card tables in front of the hedges outside the actual picnic space (which was tucked in behind the hedges)

Local traders were trying to get the trading in the current picnic area going again, but so far only on Sundays and there's not always people there any given Sunday.

I knew the benches were toast the last night of my Halloween trip when I saw the lights that some of the traders there had... that was so overkill.

I am a pin trader myself and yeah, overall this had to happen. I just hate it that a lot of people who don't like the use of the area are now going "yay the sharks are gone." Yes, that area had pin sharks. Lots of them. But there was always a decent amount of nice people. I met one of my best friends from Japan when we were both hanging out there. The rotten apples ruined it for everyone I guess.

It's gonna be really interesting to see how strict they are handling the "No trading other than from lanyards in other areas." I can't wear a lanyard anymore due to medical issues. those pins can be heavy...

Local traders were trying to get the trading in the current picnic area going again, but so far only on Sundays and there's not always people there any given Sunday.

I knew the benches were toast the last night of my Halloween trip when I saw the lights that some of the traders there had... that was so overkill.

I am a pin trader myself and yeah, overall this had to happen. I just hate it that a lot of people who don't like the use of the area are now going "yay the sharks are gone." Yes, that area had pin sharks. Lots of them. But there was always a decent amount of nice people. I met one of my best friends from Japan when we were both hanging out there. The rotten apples ruined it for everyone I guess.

It's gonna be really interesting to see how strict they are handling the "No trading other than from lanyards in other areas." I can't wear a lanyard anymore due to medical issues. those pins can be heavy...
Im wondering if they’ll make exception for official Disney books as long as they’re on Disney benches. For obvious reasons. Or if those will go away.

(Or maybe they already did and I don’t know because my memory can be shotty at times and I haven’t looked to buy one of those in ages. Or maybe Disney corp forgot they sell those. )

Hope the picnic area takes off. While I got some cool pins a few years back from the trading. It definitely was getting to be a bit much.

Torn. We like pin trading. It’s wrong to take one of the few benches in the parks to do this. However, let’s provide seating for people Disney, instead of treating it like The Hunger Games. I get that too many pins and other paraphernalia is ridiculous. Will the new bag size accommodate the Disney pin trading bags they sell/used to sell?

Torn. We like pin trading. It’s wrong to take one of the few benches in the parks to do this. However, let’s provide seating for people Disney, instead of treating it like The Hunger Games. I get that too many pins and other paraphernalia is ridiculous. Will the new bag size accommodate the Disney pin trading bags they sell/used to sell?
Yes. The old large cloth bags are fine. The large unlicensed ones are likely over, but I'll double check when I get home.

I remember the standard large bags they used to sell had pages a bit bigger than a standard 8.5 x 11 sheet so it's approximately the right size and I doubt security would fuss over an inch or so for an official bag. There are some bags that would legitimately exceed the thickness when full but again, I doubt security will actually measure.

It looks to me like they want to stop people from having multiple panels of displays spread out everywhere and trading in the dark. I think the rules are reasonable.

I guess I'm a bit confused by this part:

As part of the new guidelines, trading (outside use of the lanyard) will only be permitted near Westward Ho Trading Company in Disneyland Park from park open to 3pm daily (subject to change). There's also new limits on items you bring for trading.

So unless you are using a lanyard, you can't trade around the rest of the park even if you are using one of those smaller bags that Disney used to sell? I'm talking about these little 6" x 4" x 2" bags.

7511055880059.jpeg

As part of the new guidelines, trading (outside use of the lanyard) will only be permitted near Westward Ho Trading Company in Disneyland Park from park open to 3pm daily (subject to change). There's also new limits on items you bring for trading.

So unless you are using a lanyard, you can't trade around the rest of the park even if you are using one of those smaller bags that Disney used to sell? I'm talking about these little 6" x 4" x 2" bags.

View attachment 811530

Disney is talking about trading with other guests, not with cast members.

View attachment 811530
I don't think anyone will stop you if you bump into a guest in Tomorrowland and decide to trade a pin between you. I assume the rules are about camping out for trading. Like just sitting there for hours on end for that specific reason.

I was there yesterday and the new rules are definitely enforced. Pin traders are restricted to one book of pins (at a time) on a single table. A few people commented that they liked the table because it’s slightly above waist-level and they no longer have to lean over to look at pins. I was talking to one trader and she liked the changes too. As we spoke, a CM stopped by and asked how things were going. Apparently pin trading must stop at 3:00 to prevent congestion during the parade. The CM suggested that she’d look into a post-3:00 area.

Incidentally, traders can have more than one book with them but can only display one at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter