Changing # of people in PS - anyone have this problem?

vthokie

Earning My Ears
This will be our first trip to Disney in 8 years (and the first for 3 of my kids). We're really looking forward to it! Anyway, there are 8 of us in my group. Some friends (a family of 3) will be there at the same time and wanted to join us for dinner on our first Saturday night at Chef Mickey's. I called 90 days out and made a PS for 11, but now the other family of 3 has had to change their itinerary and won't be able to join us.

I didn't think I really needed to call and change the number in my PS, but decided to be nice and tell them it would now be 8 and not 11. Well, the CM explained to me that I would basically lose that PS to another larger group when I showed up and told them we were 8. We might have to wait a lot longer for a seat. I don't really understand how they could accomodate 11 in a timely manner, but not 8. I just kept the PS and will keep my fingers crossed, as the other times available for 8 were much later (after 9:00 PM and we have young kids).

Has anyone ever had a problem showing up with a smaller group and losing a PS because of it?

Thanks for your input.

They have certain tables that fit certain party numbers. And they want to fill to capacity. So if they seat your 8 at a table for 11, they're out 3 people's cost, and 3 people are having to wait for a table.

They have to take you out of the system as 11, and look for tables of 8 instead. They always want to fill every seat, esp at high demand character meals.

Makes sense to me, but I'm not sure if I explained it well =)

Good luck! Hope it works out for you ;)

Thanks, Aimeedyan, what you're saying makes sense...it's just frustrating! I can see us all getting there and suddenly not having a table when we thought we did. Maybe I should try for another time or night with 8. It's just one more reason for my husband to say,"See, I told you we shouldn't go to Disney!" I can't see a regular restuarant giving us a hard time for having a couple fewer people.

We did this at Sci fi with no problem. I had a PS for 14-on that day 2 got sick and stayed in the condo and the other family of 6 decided it was to expensive. I went up to the desk and told her and we were told no problem and got our table when we should have.

I understand the reasoning, but have found it to be a non-issue. Whenever we have booked a reservation and had people not show up we have always been accomodated as hockey mom stated. When you arrive just tell them the 3 in your party were tired and decided not to come. They will accomodate you... We have 40 (for a birthday party) going to Ohana's this weekend, I am sure that we will lose 5 or 6, at least, when it comes down to it. Don't worry about it :)

It is generally not an issue. Chef Mickey's usues the tables (usually...not the booths) for larger parties. So if some of your party does not show up they can just reconfigure the tables and have the extra for someone else. It is not like they have a table for 11 anyway (they are tables pushed together to accomodate). I too would not worry about it, after all people get tired and don't go to dinner all the time, you won't be the first ones ever showing up to a Disney restaurant short a few people for a PS.

I don't think it will be a problem. Just tell the person at the podium that you'll be 3 people short when you check-in for you PS.

I wouldn't cancel or try for another night unless you really just wanted to. I don't think it'll be a big issue when you get there. Remember that the dining folks are not even at Disneyworld, and are just trying to do what their computer is telling them to do. And their computer won't let them change out numbers on an existing PS, but make them put it back into the bank and resubmit a new request. So they can't tell you it won't be a problem, because they don't know... but since others have said they did it with no problem, I'd just show up and tell them at check in.

Not like you reserved a party of 50 and 46 of them dropped =)

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to hear it should work out fine. I just panicked yesterday after my phone call that all my careful planning was starting to unravel! I can certainly see where it happens a lot (Grandma and Grandpa are too tired for dinner, etc.) and it shouldn't spoil everyone's plans.

We're taking our ILs in Dec. and I made ressies for 8 but I think there will be many times when we will only be 6. I'm not going to cancel any of our PSs for the exact reason that I will lose my PS time.

Lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter