Changing resorts when you arrive

whiplash_66

Earning My Ears
I'm second guessing the resort that I booked. I have a trip planned for May 26 to 31 and I booked All Star Sports through Costco travel (it's the only value they had available to book). They don't have a great cancellation policy (only 65% refund at this point). So, I feel stuck with what I booked.

My question is, is it possible for us to change resorts when we get there (paying for a change to Pop or an upgrade to a Moderate)? Or will they not let us do that since we booked through Costco?

They might allow it, if there is a room available. You are likely to pay rack rate. If there are tickets or dining associated, your odds reduce a lot.

Booking through a TA really complicates it. I'm not sure how much they can change your reservation. We had one stay that went quite wrong that was booked through a 3rd party (and quite frankly was the last I have booked that way because of the issues on that trip) and we had very little recourse with Disney because of it

I agree with the other posts, it depends on availability and more than likely rack rate.

If you change resorts through Costco, would they still charge you a cancellation fee? You wouldn't be cancelling, just modifying.

Costco only offers a few resorts. You probably booked a package with tickets. Part, possibly all, of the cancellation fee is probably for the tickets. You'll forfeit 35% but should keep your tickets. That's the way it worked for me when I had to cancel a Dolphin package a few years ago
You'll lose the COSTCO discount and may wind up paying rack rate.
Edited to add Did you get a good price?
My memory is Costco is only booking sports as a value.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the responses. Costco didn't have much to offer for resorts (it was either sports, pirate room at CBR, or a couple of deluxes). I was considering CBR instead of Sports, but after reading some posts comparing the two - I went with Sports. I didn't get a large discount by booking through Costco. They offered the same room and ticket discounts as booking direct with Disney. I did save a bit on the exchange plus the 2% back for my Executive membership. Now that it's been brought up - the room discounts will be over by May, so I'd probably end up paying much more if I switch at the time of my trip. I'm going to stick with my decision and be happy that I get to back to WDW!! Thanks again!

Just wanted to say that we really enjoyed staying at ASSp. It is a very nice resort. Sure the amenities are basic, but the rooms are clean and comfortable and you are in WDW! The food court is very good and the layout of the grounds results in most rooms being conveniently close to the main building and buses.

Of course, you can always ask about changing/upgrading and if there is availability I think that the CM's will do anything that they can to help you out. But I wouldn't count ASSp out - its a good value option, especially if you plan a park intensive trip.

Enjoy your vacation!!!!

I had never stayed at any All Star until last September. I got stuck at Disney and had to stay longer but had to change resorts. I choose AS sports since it was the least expensive. I was truly surprised how much I liked it. I even booked AS music for my trip next month. Give it a shot!

I had never stayed at any All Star until last September. I got stuck at Disney and had to stay longer but had to change resorts. I choose AS sports since it was the least expensive. I was truly surprised how much I liked it. I even booked AS music for my trip next month. Give it a shot!
Music is IMHO the best all star. Really nice grounds. POP or Music is where we usually stay.

We were also pleasantly surprised by ASSp. We were in preferred in the Surf’s Up section and had 5 rooms in a row. Everyone in our party of 13 loved it (ages 3-65)! The staff was wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter