Channel Tunnel Fire

ukstitch

<font color=deeppink>I'm not sure I'm quite your a
Apparently, a lorry caught fire today inside the tunnel. There are no casualties to announce, but the Tunnel does seem to be closed for the time being.

With that in mind, anybody travelling via the Channel Tunnel in the very near future (next day or so), might want to check before they travel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7610919.stm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Channel-Tunnel-Closed-Due-To-A-Fire/Article/200809215097705?lpos=UK%2BNews_0&lid=ARTICLE_15097705_Channel%2BTunnel%2BClosed%2BDue%2BTo%2BA%2BFire

just watching sky news

says kent fire n resue reports that channel tunnel fire is serious incident

Just watching Sky news and apparantly it could be days before the tunnel is open again. Lets hope not.

I am WETTING myself!!! We leave by Eurostar on Sunday!!!!

We are praying to the Disney Gods for a miracle!

(Appart from that we are calling the travel insurance people tomorrow)

I would be wetting myself too hun :hug:

I'll wait a few more days before i begin to do that, hoping it will be back to "normal" in 11 days.

I am WETTING myself!!! We leave by Eurostar on Sunday!!!!

We are praying to the Disney Gods for a miracle!

(Appart from that we are calling the travel insurance people tomorrow)

the suggestion at the moment is that it the tunnel should be open again tomorrow morning. BBC says Eurostar will be first come first serve, but hopefully all will be normal again by Saturday morning.

Sunday is a while away yet. Should be fine.

Also I think eurostar and chunnel are different tunnels so hopefully eurostar should be the first thing fixed. :)

the suggestion at the moment is that it the tunnel should be open again tomorrow morning. BBC says Eurostar will be first come first serve, but hopefully all will be normal again by Saturday morning.

They are saying different on Sky......I think it depends on the extent of the fire and if the 2nd tunnel has been damaged, if the 2nd tunnel is fine then that can be used like when the other fire happened a few years ago.

Is anyone we know at DLRP right now?

I'd sure hate to be stuck there for a few extra days!

Also I think eurostar and chunnel are different tunnels so hopefully eurostar should be the first thing fixed. :)

Unfortunately, they're the same tunnel. There's 2 main tunnels - one for each direction.

They should (hopefully) have enough open in the next day or two to run some trains though, even if it's not fully open.

Tiggerbounce24 was meant to go today apparently according to the thread.

Hopefully they will have got an early train!

Fingers crossed!! :)

WHat time was the fire? If it was after like 10am then the direct disney one will ahve got there. :)

Tiggerbounce24 was meant to go today apparently according to the thread.

Hopefully they will have got an early train!

If they caught the direct train then they should of arrived safely in Disney by 12.30, the lorry caught fire about around 2pm i believe.

Only 14 people were taken to hospital with minor injuries including smoke inhalation. So it wasn't too bad in the great scheme of things.

The fire still hasn't been put out though, but apparantly its under control.

Fingers crossed for everyone travelling soon.

Unfortunately, they're the same tunnel. There's 2 main tunnels - one for each direction.

They should (hopefully) have enough open in the next day or two to run some trains though, even if it's not fully open.

Both the tunnels are used for Eurostar & Eurotunnel, but they are not a set direction as you cross over when you are travelling no matter whether you are travelling from the UK or France.

Worse case scenario would be that they run a reduced service & just use one tunnel.

Fortunately my uncle wasn't working there today unless they had to call him in.

Anyone who was meant to travel back by eurotunnel will be put on the ferries to get them home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter