Chaos at the PR Port

I'm staring at the beautiful Disney Magic docked right outside my room at the Sheraton. Looks like a lot of activity outside the terminal. Lots of taxis coming in and leaving. Looks like I'll be boarding soon!

Which sheraton did you stay at? The one by the convention center? We are staying there next week for our cruise, how's the hotel? Did you take a taxi from airport to get there? How much was it? How far is it to the port? Can you walk it? Or did you take a taxi to the port? How much? And was it easy to get a taxi at the hotel? I would love any info you can share. Thanks!

I'm staring at the beautiful Disney Magic docked right outside my room at the Sheraton. Looks like a lot of activity outside the terminal. Lots of taxis coming in and leaving. Looks like I'll be boarding soon!

I thought Pan Am Pier was not within walking/sight distance from any of the hotels? That's why so many if us were bummed when they switched it over there from the pier in Old San Juan (after so many of us made nonrefundable reservations at hotels in old San Juan!)

Which sheraton did you stay at? The one by the convention center? We are staying there next week for our cruise, how's the hotel? Did you take a taxi from airport to get there? How much was it? How far is it to the port? Can you walk it? Or did you take a taxi to the port? How much? And was it easy to get a taxi at the hotel? I would love any info you can share. Thanks!

We started our trip at he Sheraton Old San Juan and then transferred to the convention center yesterday so we could see the ship from our hotel room. Both hotels were excellent. No issues at all.

We took a taxi to Old San Juan from the airport and cost us $25. Another $15 to get from OSJ to the convention center. We'll head out in a taxi in a few minutes to get to the port. It's a mile away and we have a lot of luggage, so we're not walking. The taxis here are super easy to find (they line up outside hotels and there are specially marked areas for taxis in OSJ).

Hope that helps! Enjoy your trip!!

I thought Pan Am Pier was not within walking/sight distance from any of the hotels? That's why so many if us were bummed when they switched it over there from the pier in Old San Juan (after so many of us made nonrefundable reservations at hotels in old San Juan!)

It is within sight, just a mile away and around a small air strip. No big planes. Honestly, I was concerned about getting to the ship from Old San Juan, but realize in retrospect that it would be just fine next time. Have a good trip!!

View from the room. Hope it works!

10689656_10154602839160627_508650097473345759_n.jpg

It took over an hour to disembark today and we were not the last people to clear customs. We left breakfast at 9am and didn't exit the terminal until 10.20am. There were a LOT of people behind us too. The ship didn't clear until around 7.30am (at least, that is when we got the announcement in the stateroom). It was an amazing cruise but the port is a mess.

It took over an hour to disembark today and we were not the last people to clear customs. We left breakfast at 9am and didn't exit the terminal until 10.20am. There were a LOT of people behind us too. The ship didn't clear until around 7.30am (at least, that is when we got the announcement in the stateroom). It was an amazing cruise but the port is a mess.

So a slow process, but plenty of time to get to the airport, assuming not an early flight? I wonder how long it will take those at the end of the line.

Thanks for the update!

For anyone asking, cab from Sheraton was $12 for 2 adults and additional $1 per bag.

why is there such a delay is customs giving people hard time?

Because these people enter the United States of America from a foreign country. So US border authorities will require them to leave a picture and finger prints and they will ask questions about your whereabouts when in the US. If you do this for 2.500 people it just takes a lot of time. Just like entering the US on an airport.

Because these people enter the United States of America from a foreign country. So US border authorities will require them to leave a picture and finger prints and they will ask questions about your whereabouts when in the US. If you do this for 2.500 people it just takes a lot of time. Just like entering the US on an airport.

What about leaving a picture? And are they asking about your whereabouts abroad or where you live in the US?
And if I skip breakfast (main seating) & just wait for my group to be cleared to disembark, are my chances good for making my 12:50 flight home?

James

We're getting ready to board the Magic here in Puerto Rico. They had the doors open for a couple of hours and then closed them again until 1:00. There are hundreds of people standing outside in the heat. Ugh, at least I'm going on a cruise! Hopefully they will have all the kinks worked out for the next cruise. Don't rush to get to the terminal! :)

I was on the Magic getting off on that date and I agree it was crazy, however the DCL staff where working feverishly to help those passengers get off who had flights to catch. I myself was staying in Puerto Rico for a few days so I was in no rush. It was just an opportunity to spend more time on the ship.

We got off today too. Breakfast was at 7 for early seating. We finished at 7:45 and the ship was cleared to leave. We walked right off and into baggage and it took us a few minutes to find our bag but walked right through customs and to the taxi stand. At the airport 20 minutes later. Smooth, smooth, smooth!

They aren't doing any of that in PR. At least not today. It was a quick look at passports and customs forms and done. The problem is that there were only four or five agents and 2400 people...

Because these people enter the United States of America from a foreign country. So US border authorities will require them to leave a picture and finger prints and they will ask questions about your whereabouts when in the US. If you do this for 2.500 people it just takes a lot of time. Just like entering the US on an airport.[/QUOTE

Puerto Rico is not a foreign country,it's a USA territory. Actually my high school girlfriend is aboard the cruise that sailed this morning from San Juan and she said that the only asked her for her driver license and passport.. no finger prints were need it.. ;)

Teacher..

Puerto Rico is not a foreign country,it's a USA territory. Actually my high school girlfriend is aboard the cruise that sailed this morning from San Juan and she said that the only asked her for her driver license and passport.. no finger prints were need it.. ;)

Teacher..

The original post was referring to the transatlantic cruise which ended in San Juan so they were coming from a foreign port.

The original post was referring to the transatlantic cruise which ended in San Juan so they were coming from a foreign port.
Indeed it was, sorry if that wasn't clear.

When 2000 passengers (my guess of this WBTA) and 1000 crew members have to be cleared, using 4 stations it will take time. Let's assume 2 minutes per person on average (photo, finger prints left and right, passport, questioning) then processing 3000 people will take 6.000 minutes, that's 100 hours of work, spread over 4 stations: 25 hours of processing time. Obviously they did a pretty quick job....

Indeed it was, sorry if that wasn't clear. When 2000 passengers (my guess of this WBTA) and 1000 crew members have to be cleared, using 4 stations it will take time. Let's assume 2 minutes per person on average (photo, finger prints left and right, passport, questioning) then processing 3000 people will take 6.000 minutes, that's 100 hours of work, spread over 4 stations: 25 hours of processing time. Obviously they did a pretty quick job....

When did US citizens have to start leaving fingerprints and photos to re-enter the US? I've not traveled internationally (outside of a closed loop cruise) since immediately prior to my 3 year old's birth, but that seems like a very large change to protocol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter