Chapek's Project Legacy

Thinking about previous Disney CEO's, they've all seemed to have a major project that could be left as their legacy. Eisner had Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, DCA, Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disney (Some good and some bad). Iger had Shanghai Disney, DCA 2.0, and Hollywood Studios 2.0 (Toy Storyland, Galaxy's Edge & Runaway Railway).

So, what do you think of the current Disney projects will be Chapek's Legacy?? Epcot 3.0 (Ratatouille, Guardians, Journey of Water, Epcot's Spine)? Walt Disney Studios 2.0 (Avengers Campus, Frozen Land + Lake)? or something else they haven't announced yet. I understand Chapek is not everyone's cup of tea, so please keep it friendly. What Disney park project since 2020 will Chapek be remembered for?
Was not Bob 2.0 in charge of Parks during all the things you listed for Iger? Does our new Bob share in any of that legacy?

Was not Bob 2.0 in charge of Parks during all the things you listed for Iger? Does our new Bob share in any of that legacy?
Yeah, thinking more of the major projects during his tenure as CEO. Iger tends to be remembered for green lighting Shanghai and fixing DCA with Cars Land/Buena Vista Street.

I feel like Walt Disney Studios 2.0, which is taking place during Chapek's tenure is currently the only major project he will be remembered for at the moment, as well as the Epcot Future World transformation?

This. The Disney Decade will never be duplicated.

Chapek, when his tenure is over will be remembered as the man that will have set Disney back ten years
Already has as measured by stock price and no dividend. Bob Cheap-eck has to be the worse CEO. Stock is tanking again tonight. All he seems to care about is the ~$5 per month FAMILY value via Disney + and not the $8k family vacation. Takes how many new $5 subscribers to offset one lost family part trip?

We haven't been to back to Disney World since he started fleecing every guest on every purchase. It's ridiculous. Last year we spent 5 days a Universal, our first trip every. Props to the earlier comment about Chapek's legacy being value added to Universal. Later this year we discussed Universal again, or the Keys. The Keys won out, but Disney was never in the discussion. It's frustrating that one person can ruin what was a great trip several times per year for us. Maybe someday again.

All he seems to care about is the ~$5 per month FAMILY value via Disney + and not the $8k family vacation. Takes how many new $5 subscribers to offset one lost family part trip?
Call it the cable TV model - where in exchange for a monthly fee you got ad-free TV. but then ads started appearing, and the monthly fee kept increasing. If the ad for an application that identifies recurring monthly charges is needed, that suggests many many people have recurring charges that were set once and forgotten. Bob C would love to have automatic withdrawals, from everyone on the planet, providing a monthly revenue stream not affected by Covid or other pandemics. What percent of worldwide families will actually visit a park? Out of the 7.99B people, would 79M (1%) at $8k per trip? Thinking that Bob C would rather have 7.99B paying $5 a (~$40B) month (~$480B per year) forever then park revenue subject to Covid or other pandemics, Sept 11, etc. Terrible things are happening to people in Ukraine, but at the risk of sounding cold the $5 per month auto-debit probably didn't stop. Yep, the cable TV model where the billing continues uninterrupted.

So what is next? The payment options building into MDE will allow you to sign up for Disney+, walk in to any park (with reservations, of course), access ILL$, pick up plush at World of Disney (or at Target) by simply showing the MDE app in the future. Always running, always tracking where you are, pop up sales at Kohls you just passed, Sale on room at Aulani as you pass through Denver airport, etc... Near a large body of water? DCL has a cabin with your name on it, sailing in just 10 days. Click here in MDE to reserve it. All without specifying a payment method, outside of MDE. Bob C was hired due to his vision of future revenue opportunities. And so far he has hit the mark. We can only guess what the future holds for revenue feeding TWDC.

Call it the cable TV model - where in exchange for a monthly fee you got ad-free TV. but then ads started appearing, and the monthly fee kept increasing. If the ad for an application that identifies recurring monthly charges is needed, that suggests many many people have recurring charges that were set once and forgotten. Bob C would love to have automatic withdrawals, from everyone on the planet, providing a monthly revenue stream not affected by Covid or other pandemics. What percent of worldwide families will actually visit a park? Out of the 7.99B people, would 79M (1%) at $8k per trip? Thinking that Bob C would rather have 7.99B paying $5 a (~$40B) month (~$480B per year) forever then park revenue subject to Covid or other pandemics, Sept 11, etc. Terrible things are happening to people in Ukraine, but at the risk of sounding cold the $5 per month auto-debit probably didn't stop. Yep, the cable TV model where the billing continues uninterrupted.

So what is next? The payment options building into MDE will allow you to sign up for Disney+, walk in to any park (with reservations, of course), access ILL$, pick up plush at World of Disney (or at Target) by simply showing the MDE app in the future. Always running, always tracking where you are, pop up sales at Kohls you just passed, Sale on room at Aulani as you pass through Denver airport, etc... Near a large body of water? DCL has a cabin with your name on it, sailing in just 10 days. Click here in MDE to reserve it. All without specifying a payment method, outside of MDE. Bob C was hired due to his vision of future revenue opportunities. And so far he has hit the mark. We can only guess what the future holds for revenue feeding TWDC.
you paint a miserable business model. speaking for my family, no subscriptions. Cancelled Netflix earlier this year, our 3 yr D+ offer expires shortly cancelling that as well. Life does not revolve around TV, it's just a commodity that sits there until the evening. Then, it's only limited to a few things of interest.

As for phone apps tracking. I immediately disabled any remaining app with location options. Much like TV, a phone is just there. It's not something that controls my day. I have zero interest in a business reaching out to tell me anything,. If\when I need to make a purchase, I'll find what I need, not what they want to sell me.

"Bob C was hired due to his vision of future revenue opportunities. And so far he has hit the mark." ----maybe you missed the news: "Disney's theme parks, which saw quick COVID bounce backs amid increased attractions, price hikes, and updated technologies like the Genie+ app, missed expectations in the quarter as recession fears pressured consumer demand."----a basic economics model - price elasticity. Yeah, they misread pent up covid demand as approval of the fleecing.

He still has time to write his legacy.
If the EPCOT remodel goes well and he really add some of the Blue Sky projects, his legacy could be totally changed. Or not.

If the EPCOT remodel goes well and he really add some of the Blue Sky projects, his legacy could be totally changed. Or not.
Too late, he's done. His legacy will be gouging the customer to the point that Universal wins. Earlier this week CNBC was calling for his ouster given the wreck of the Balance Sheet. once the leak starts, it only gets worse. One good recession and he's gone. The easy money from the pent up demand will go away and then he's left with an overpriced product, no matter how great it is.

For what it's worth, I did see a commercial offering discounts. Maybe it's starting

I feel like Walt Disney Studios 2.0, which is taking place during Chapek's tenure is currently the only major project he will be remembered for at the moment, as well as the Epcot Future World transformation?

He's been given credit by Iger too for getting Galaxy's Edge cost back in line. 🤣

His entire legacy at The Walt Disney Company has been finding new revenue streams (Buena Vista distribution—DVDs & Blu-rays, merchandise licensing) and cutting costs (merging Parks with Consumer Products, budget cuts to Pandora, Shanghai and Galaxy's Edge, etc.).

Chapek has not one achievement at the company that is would be considered "creative."

Oh wait, he did come up with the idea for Harmonious because he wanted to sell more IP merchandise in EPCOT. Does that count?

People still talk about 2002-2006 as the dark years for the Parks, we haven't seen anything yet. It may not stoop to Paul Pressler's level of letting the parks fall a part, but it's not going to be the experience anyone is used to either.

The only blue sky thing I see him completing is the expansion of Magic Kingdom. He would love to sell more Encanto, Coco and Villain merchandise.

His legacy will be increased profitability. He was hired to help the company digest Iger’s (probably necessary) spending sprees. His best legacy would be to allow enhanced financial stability to the company. If he can get Disney+ profitable, prove that the absurdly high hotel room rates, DVC point costs, Cruise Line fees, Park Admission fees, etc. can continue over the long term, he will be heralded a genius.

I’m skeptical that it will pay off long term, without offering significant reinvestment in the product, but I think there is a way to do it. The domestic airlines have shown this - you can offer a less good product, charge more, and still have people excited about the offerings you include if you offer operational efficiency and an attractive looking product.

I get that Disney does not sell something as utilitarian as an airplane ride, but until people stop staying in their hotels, they will continue to charge $900 for the grand Floridian, etc.

Also, if he felt they could restore the dividend, the stock would soar overnight from that alone, which would, ironically, help the balance sheet.

The epcot remodel has already fallen flat on its face.

The epcot remodel has already fallen flat on its face.
Please do tell how you can make such a definitive statement when it hasn't been completed yet. Please also take into account that attendance is thru the roof on the parts that have been opened, even so much of the park behind construction walls.

We don’t know that EPCOT will be a bust yet, and if Chapek demolishes Dinoland and replaces it with something halfway decent, he may become a national hero. The Dinosaur ride can stay, but the rest is an embarrassment…. As much as I’m a fan of Eisner and the Disney decade, and Joe Rhode, Animal Kingdom has some serious problems, especially Dinoland….

Please do tell how you can make such a definitive statement when it hasn't been completed yet. Please also take into account that attendance is thru the roof on the parts that have been opened, even so much of the park behind construction walls.
There is nothing to complete. Mary Poppins, the festival center, the play pavilion aren't happening. I just had this discussion in another thread but why is it so hard for Disney fans to accept that things are a mess.

3 major pieces and 1 minor piece have been removed from the project. The new fireworks show is a disaster. What's left at this point? Moana?

There is nothing to complete. Mary Poppins, the festival center, the play pavilion aren't happening. I just had this discussion in another thread but why is it so hard for Disney fans to accept that things are a mess.
I agree that many pieces are not happening. But GoTG, Remy opened. they are building a new event center, not the huge beautiful one promised, but something. Moana is yet to come. The Play Pavillion, I thought was a terrible idea as soon as it was released, so don't feel bad that that is gone. Hoping they will come up with something better for that space. While my hopes are not once what they once were, I'm still willing to see what the final product looks like before burying them.

I agree that many pieces are not happening. But GoTG, Remy opened. they are building a new event center, not the huge beautiful one promised, but something. Moana is yet to come. The Play Pavillion, I thought was a terrible idea as soon as it was released, so don't feel bad that that is gone. Hoping they will come up with something better for that space. While my hopes are not once what they once were, I'm still willing to see what the final product looks like before burying them.
It's hard to feel excited after seeing D23 and see that nothing is coming any time soon. To top it off seeing parks across the country making major announcements at IAAPA this past week it's hard to get excited.

It's hard to feel excited after seeing D23 and see that nothing is coming any time soon. To top it off seeing parks across the country making major announcements at IAAPA this past week it's hard to get excited.
i agree, D23 was really a big disappointment. Usually, there is something definite coming out of it. This year, they had the "Blue Sky", but not much that looked close to happening. With all that Universal has coming in a few years, hopefully Disney really does has plans for some of the Blue Sky projects. Otherwise, they will find themselves catching up like they did with Harry Potter.

Eisner also has had many of the best hotels, insisting on the best architects.
Chapek- the man already has his legacy- the one who ripped the parks apart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter