• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character breakfast - Cape May, Garden Grill or Tusker House?

ewasilau

Mouseketeer
We're looking to do one character breakfast during our trip in May. (Kids may convince us to do 2, but right now we're trying to plan just one.) We don't want to do the super expensive princess ones, instead are looking at the more reasonable ones as our 3 kids (ages 10, 12 and 14) are Disney adults but won't eat like adults!

We narrowed it to Cape May (mainly because we are staying at Yacht Club), Garden Grill and Tusker House. From reading other posts, I have gathered that there are 3 characters at Cape May (Minnie, Donald and Goofy), four at GG (Chip and Dale, Mickey and Pluto) but can't figure out who is at Tusker House. Anyone know? And which has best character fun? And best food?

We've also gathered that the best food may be considered to be at Tusker House, especially if you can do the late breakfast (how late?) and get lunch food too. We have PHs, so any breakfast in a park is fine, though we were planning to do the brunch on our one sleep-in day, already determined to be mid-trip on a Saturday (busiest day, so least to be accomplished anyway! good day to relax!). It would be ok to go to AK just for brunch and a ride or two, but that day is also a EMH day, so maybe the TH brunch should be exceptionally better than the other two to bother with it. We could walk to the other two options. Unless we add it as the 2nd breakfast down the road.

Any thoughts??

You are correct among the 3 Tusker House has the best and most individual food. If you eaters are the cautious types then Garden Grill may be for you. WIth the smaller area you will see the characters between 2 and 3 times at GG. Among the 3 however Tusker is my favorite. If you want some fun get a breakfast for as late as you can. We did that once and there were very few people there and the characters spent a lot of time with us even pretending to sit down and eat with us.

When we did Tusker House in Feb 2017 it was Goofy, Daisy, Donald & Mickey. It's the only one of the 3 you are asking about that I've been too. We enjoyed it and it was the only character meal my dd10 asked to do again for our upcoming trip. The food was really good. We used it as brunch last time with a reservation around 10:00, this time our reservation is for 10:35. We also have Garden Grill planned this time because we haven't tried it but it may get cancelled as we try to fit our choices the best into the DDP.

Garden Grill and Tusker House are my two favorite breakfasts! Garden Grill for food, location, and ease; Tusker House for characters since I like their safari gear. Garden Grill's food is really really yummy, can get you quick access to Soarin' if you go PPO, and the food comes to you, which I really like and can be convenient with kids, I imagine. Tusker House is awesome, but I'd go Garden Grill slightly over it. Really, you can't go wrong!

Cape May on a non-park day is our Favorite Character Breakfast. In the Parks we have only done Crystal Palace with we prefer Lunch there.

I cannot comment on Cape May, hoping to get there next trip. But I can comment on the other two. If I were doing Tusker, I would do a very late breakfast/early lunch, the characters were Mickey, Donald, Daisy, and Goofy all in Safari attire. You see them at least twice or we did, once we did all the photos, 2nd time they visited us my girls did selfies and when they came around again, they waved and at least acknowledged them. So I think the experience was good, lots of varieties of food and it is very relaxed. Garden Grill is our very favorite. and the food was great. Not as many choices, but what you get is delicious. We booked it at 8am so we could get to Soarin, and we made it on at 8:45 and were back in line by 9am. We loved it and will be going back in December. We love both, it's up to the individual family as to what would work best for them. You can't go wrong with any of your choices.

Garden Grill is my favorite, with Tusker House being second. As a PP has already mentioned the GG food comes to you family style, so no chance of being at the buffet line when the characters pass by your table. Plus the layout of the restaurant makes the interactions more intimate and more interactive... plus Chip is a personal favorite.

I really enjoyed Cape May. if you don't want to have to go to a park for food, it would be my pick hands down. I really enjoyed the food and the characters are in beach attire. If you are not going to a park at all that day, definitely do Cape May. Its convenient to you and the food is good. Then you can decide where you really want to go for the day

Any opportunity I have to eat at the resort I stay at, I will gladly book. So nice to sleep an extra few minutes by not having to travel to a restaurant.

I love Cape May and the characters in the beach attire! Food is good, though if you are looking for tons of options, just know this is one of the small buffets.

Im not a fan of Tusker House for breakfast (Donald/Daisy/Mickey and Goofy). They add a lot of (African) spices to their food that I dont love. I do love the characters in their safari gear! The theme inside is also quite unique. Personally I love the fact that I dont love the food so much because its the only buffet I go to that doesnt leave me completely stuffed with hours of walking right after! (After Crystal Palace I need a nap!!)

If youre only doing one, I wouldnt even consider Garden Grill. Restaurant theme is rocks and plants, and the food comes family style and its all sweet stuff.

My 2 favorites, foodwise, are Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare. I think character interaction is about the same at all.

My DW & I eat at Cape May each trip. Even if we aren't staying at the Yacht/Beach Club. It's generally fresh & clean, and offers standard breakfast items. The character interaction is great as well. It's hard to beat the proximity of the restaurant to the resorts, EPCOT, & HS. The offerings aren't adventurous, which would be one negative.

Would definitely like to try Tusker House based on the reviews I've seen. Probably will not eat at GG due to the similar food offering to CM, but never say never!

I've been to all 3 for breakfast/brunch!

On food: TH wins, hands down, and we always book around 10:30am to get breakfast and lunch. GG food is pretty good as well. Of the three Cape May probably has the "worst" food, but it's not bad as buffets go, and you have the "dress your own Mickey waffle" option there.

Characters: GG is the most peaceful, and has good character interaction. TH is the most hectic, and Cape May is somewhere in between.

Timing also matters - GG would be good for a pre-park opening meal and then you could get a jump in the line for Soarin and use a Tier 1 FP that day for something else. Cape May I would also do early if I were hitting the parks that day, or it would be nice for a resort day. TH I almost always do around "brunch" time to get both breakfast and lunch food.

Another one to consider, since you are staying at YC: Trattoria al Forno Bon Boyage breakfast? It's on the boardwalk, the food is decent and different, and so are the characters - I think it's the only place to meet Prince Eric (Ariel's husband) and Flynn Rider, who is hilarious.

Tusker House and Cape May are both excellent. We haven't done Garden Grill, but have it on the list for this September.

Question about PPO at Garden Grill - Can you access Epcot via Int'l Gateway entrance before park opening for a PPO at Garden Grill? We are staying at BWI or YC, and so we'd be entering from the Int'l Gateway.

I can't comment on Cape May, but I love both GG and TH. Both have great food and really good character interaction. If you do GG at PPO it's a great advantage to ride Soarin. Plus, I much prefer family style versus buffet. But you really can't go wrong with TH either! I would probably go with whichever works best with your plans.

All 3 great choices and we haven't done Tusker House yet, but it is always rated as one of the best character meals. We are excited to go for breakfast for the first time on our Nov trip this year. We love Cape May and we always go there when we are staying at Beach Club - great buffet and character interactions. We love Garden Grill for dinner but the breakfast look amazing and that is on my list for future trips. Can't go wrong with any of the 3.

Garden Grill is probably my very favorite character meal on property. I also think the restaurant is just really cool with the scenery from Living with the Land and they way it rotates. I also think the booths are kind of cozy and fun. We have only done dinner at GG so I can't comment on the food at breakfast. While Tusker House is popular I have a "problem" with it because I always end up comparing it to Boma and Boma is my absolute favorite breakfast spot on WDW property, by leaps and bounds!. We are NOT breakfast eaters at all but we typically schedule a Boma breakfast on our departure day. Every single time we eat there I comment that I wish my stomach would hold more food because I get full but there are still so many things I want to eat!

Tusker House and Cape May are both excellent. We haven't done Garden Grill, but have it on the list for this September.

Question about PPO at Garden Grill - Can you access Epcot via Int'l Gateway entrance before park opening for a PPO at Garden Grill? We are staying at BWI or YC, and so we'd be entering from the Int'l Gateway.

Yes you can as early as 7am. France is actually open (I forget the name of the bakery) early for pasteries and coffee. The photo ops are great PPO!

17761170_1303979109637182_5690762175151761327_o.jpg

17758604_1303979989637094_5300501790226997037_o.jpg

17814484_1303976579637435_5988790396533617687_o.jpg

17760867_1303977259637367_4838217833349058426_o.jpg

17807645_1303980426303717_8117961930218153396_o.jpg

17814586_1303976902970736_7603264739008922234_o.jpg

17758635_1303976259637467_1268181845905706443_o.jpg

17761073_1303978042970622_3876338198979575525_o.jpg

17492512_1303972732971153_3631762371945607399_o.jpg

17758545_1303972952971131_4156289246647583945_o.jpg

17807207_1303983672970059_3328142455377665028_o.jpg

17758367_1303984886303271_2885943487373287522_o.jpg

17807237_1303984932969933_6329332023161480177_o.jpg

17505311_1303976246304135_6560071742226568709_o.jpg

I love Garden Grill. The food is so fresh and delicious. Nice variety of everything. Cinamon bun, choc sauce for the waffles, tater tots etc! So good! Plus the characters are super cute, i love chip & dale. I also love the fact that its family style...you just sit and wait for characters to come by.

If you prefer a buffet however, then i'd pick Cape May or Tusker House....depending on where you'll be that day. If you'll be at AK, go with Tusker. Otherwise, go with Cape May. Both are great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter