Character Dining vs Character meets for a 10YO girl

Then maybe head over to Galaxy's Edge and criticize (or compliment) a Stormtrooper. That will get some 1 on 1 time right there. First time through the place I told a trooper, "Thank you for your service." about 4 seconds of thoughtful consideration and E responded, "You're welcome citizen." A simple thing but really more fun than I can convey.
I saw two troopers confront a group of blue milk indulging adults and it was one of the funniest moments. They said they were tired of this group always hanging around that area and had been warned multiple times about clearing out. You could tell by the laughter everyone was having fun. We then later saw a woman literally grab a trooper by the arm to force him stop. She made a few demands of him and he complied. I remember thinking it was very rude how she did it. As she brought up her camera, he turned so his back was to her. With a look of frustration, she went around to the other side. She said some comment about not doing that again. As she raised the camera, he turned again so his back faced her. He then saw someone needing correction and marched off in that direction yelling trooper lines.

The troopers are definitely a must-see in Galaxy's Edge!

Last edited:
When my daughters were your daughter’s age, they enjoyed breakfast at ‘Ohana. It’s a fun character interaction with Stitch and the food is good. Another favorite is Garden Grill—it’s fun to see the backside of land (see what I did there? 😀)—and Mickey and friends are always fun.

I agree with other posters who have said Artist Point. My DD11 (was DD10 when we went) liked it the best. Snow was Snow, but she really enjoyed doing a grumpy photo with Grumpy (we didn’t complain about her sticking out her tongue). And the Evil Queen is, well, evil. They bonded over my daughters Maleficent ears. It seems like one that can be more appealing to tweens.

My girls are 10 and 8, and they are over the princesses. They still like the antics of Chip/Dale (Garden Grill) and Stepsisters (1900 PF).

I wouldn't plan on meeting characters in the parks- the lines can get really long and no point in wasting a FP on a meet and greet if your daughter doesn't really care that much about meeting them.

I would book a few character meals and then let her decide which 1 or 2 to keep. My daughter will be 10 in March and she still enjoys meeting characters but it's not a priority- I know she wouldn't wait in line for very long to meet them.

Our next trip is in February and we have Garden Grill and Tusker House booked for our character interactions.

I would suggest 1 princess meal - Akershus or CRT or Artist Point - and leave it at that. Sometimes the lines for princesses and other characters can be long, and then you are committing time you could be doing "other" "cool" stuff to getting a picture taken with someone in a costume. But everybody's gotta eat, so doing a meal with a lot of characters (Akershus would be your best bet if you're doing dining plan, as it's only 1 credit), she'll get to see the characters, get some pictures, but still have some plausible deniability about whether she "chose" to see them. (looking for the nudge, nudge, wink wink face). Also, if you do a pre-park opening breakfast, you have the added benefit of being in the park before it opens, leading to some great pictures and possibly getting on some hard-to-get rides without waiting too long in lines. ie - find a day where the park opens at 9am, no EMH (extra magic hours), and book an 8am breakfast. Just walking around a near empty park going to your breakfast will be worth it. (and stop and take a few pictures)
Out of these 3 on all that has been to them, is their much difference. I heard someone say Akershus has 5 princesses? Besides Cinderella, are there other princesses at CRT? Artist Point is the evil princess, snow and dwarves correct? I think she was digging how it looked to actually eat in a castle. It seems all 3 of these feel you are actually eating in castle, does it seem? She says she is definitely interested in one. gonna try to book quite a few and can narrow down later for no charge. Thanks for all the help!

Out of these 3 on all that has been to them, is their much difference. I heard someone say Akershus has 5 princesses? Besides Cinderella, are there other princesses at CRT? Artist Point is the evil princess, snow and dwarves correct? I think she was digging how it looked to actually eat in a castle. It seems all 3 of these feel you are actually eating in castle, does it seem? She says she is definitely interested in one. gonna try to book quite a few and can narrow down later for no charge. Thanks for all the help!
CRT has 5 princesses (we had Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, and Jasmine). You meet Cinderella downstairs before your meal, and the other 4 will come to your table. CRT is the only one actually in a castle (and you can see out the windows into the park, so you know you're actually in the castle. Akershus has that old stone look, but doesn't really feel like a castle to me--we ate breakfast there often to see princesses when my kids were young as it cost much less than CRT. CRT is a special treat for our family. Artist Point has been redone to look like an enchanted forest--no real castle vibes there, other than the backdrop to take pics with the Evil Queen.

My kids actually still love meeting characters. Our trip last February was just with DD14 as DD18 was away at college. We took DD14 to CRT as she was 4 the last time we ate there and she couldn't remember it. She loved eating in Cinderella's castle and she felt like royalty. We did Artist point with both kids in August--we enjoyed the more unique food and meeting Dopey, Grumpy, and the Evil Queen, and as others have said, Snow is Snow, very cheerful.

Some of our favorite character meals:
  • Garden Grill due to the antics of Chip and Dale, and the fact that the restaurant rotates above the Land ride.
  • 1900 Park Fare is great fun with the stepsisters/stepmother and it's one of the better buffets.
  • Ohana breakfast to see Stitch.
  • Tusker House for a more flavorful buffet with safari themed Donald/Daisy/Mickey/Goofy
  • Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno on the Boardwalk to see Rapunzel/Flynn, Ariel/Eric.

CRT has 5 princesses (we had Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, and Jasmine). You meet Cinderella downstairs before your meal, and the other 4 will come to your table. CRT is the only one actually in a castle (and you can see out the windows into the park, so you know you're actually in the castle. Akershus has that old stone look, but doesn't really feel like a castle to me--we ate breakfast there often to see princesses when my kids were young as it cost much less than CRT. CRT is a special treat for our family. Artist Point has been redone to look like an enchanted forest--no real castle vibes there, other than the backdrop to take pics with the Evil Queen.

My kids actually still love meeting characters. Our trip last February was just with DD14 as DD18 was away at college. We took DD14 to CRT as she was 4 the last time we ate there and she couldn't remember it. She loved eating in Cinderella's castle and she felt like royalty. We did Artist point with both kids in August--we enjoyed the more unique food and meeting Dopey, Grumpy, and the Evil Queen, and as others have said, Snow is Snow, very cheerful.

Some of our favorite character meals:
  • Garden Grill due to the antics of Chip and Dale, and the fact that the restaurant rotates above the Land ride.
  • 1900 Park Fare is great fun with the stepsisters/stepmother and it's one of the better buffets.
  • Ohana breakfast to see Stitch.
  • Tusker House for a more flavorful buffet with safari themed Donald/Daisy/Mickey/Goofy
  • Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno on the Boardwalk to see Rapunzel/Flynn, Ariel/Eric.
Spot on - these are some of my favorite character meals too. I tend to think Akershus is castle-like enough - the large main room is made to feel like you're inside a castle. (the side room, not so much, but we've been in the side room often and it's fine) At Akershus, you meet Belle with a photopass photographer before being seated, and then the other princesses come to your table. We like having dinner at Akershus because we actually like the food - the salad bar is salad + scandinavian-influenced foods like the pickled and smoked fish, cold cuts, cheese. And the dinner entrees are very good.

CRT is, well, CRT - it's more expensive but it REALLY feels like a castle, and you are all in 1 room. The food quality has improved a lot over the years.

Artist Point has the Evil Queen (aka "the Queen") with a photopass photographer after you are done eating, and Snow White, Dopey and Grumpy come to your table. The food is excellent - there's a set appetizer plate and also desserts for the table that are precious.

Of these 3, CRT is the most castle+princesses+quintessential Disney, and the food is good. But it's expensive and they charge you upfront, so if you cancel *check cancellation policy* you will get the $ refunded to your CC but they DO charge when you book.

I *think* Akershus and AP are not prepay; I think the food at AP is the best, but it's definitely not a castle. But the Queen is fun/funny. Akershus is a good compromise in cost, the food is good, and you can either go early for breakfast and then have a short wait for the Frozen ride, or go for dinner and be right in World showcase for fireworks.

Guilty admission: for our upcoming long trip we are doing all 3.

My DD10 is probably immature compared to others her age, but she still loves doing all the character meals. Actually, my DD25 also still loves the character meals so take that for what it is worth. I agree with a PP, I would overbook and then see how she feels about it closer to the date. How they act around their friends is usually not how they act without them so even though it may not be "cool" in front of her friends, she may still love meeting the characters. I would recommend Akershus or 1900 Park Fare. Although both of my girls favorite character meal is Crystal Palace with the Winnie the Pooh characters.

I am taking my 10 year old niece on a "girls' trip" next year. She has pretty much zero interest in characters, and ABSOLUTE zero interest in princesses. We are doing breakfast at Crystal Palace before MK opens one morning, and a late breakfast at Tusker House another day. She has not been to WDW since she was 5 and she really doesn't remember very much of that trip, so if we get there and she wants to do character meets we will. Otherwise, those 2 character meals will give her 7 or 8 different ones for photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter