Character Interactions

No excuse at all, but I would imagine that people get caught up in the whole “character” thing and forget that they are still real people
Getting caught up and excited is one thing.

Groping, asking about sexual behaviours, talking about fantasies....that's conversation that would be offensive in a strip club, let alone Disney World.

People suck.
What ship are you on? I love watching the day in the life of crew of cruise ships on YT.

How long have you been friends with the princesses?

It is like a true fairy tale, until a know, you add in the people.
Sometimes yes that is true!
I have debated over whether to do a vlog. I wasn’t sure if anyone would even want to watch it! I guess some things I find boring and normal would be interesting to those who haven’t experienced it.
I have been hanging out with my Princess friends on and off for several years now!

All the posts about people not knowing whats ok to do around the princesses made me think baxk of my first cruises (w16) until then I rarely went to see the princesses. Def not at DLP where I was working at that time. Back then DLP was very much in the characters are out for kids phase. At wdw id occasionally go see them. Then I got on the ship and all the cast was so sweet and kind of made me (in a good encouraging way) go see them and throughout the years I started to appreciate my princess meets more and more. Made a little reel for princess week with some of my special memories with them in the past year. It is like day and night with my very first cruise hahaha
This is so adorable! I see some familiar faces!

I have a question about meeting characters. If the character doesn’t initiate a hug, can you do it? What about linking arms for a photo if the character again doesn’t initiate it?

Sometimes yes that is true!
I have debated over whether to do a vlog. I wasn’t sure if anyone would even want to watch it! I guess some things I find boring and normal would be interesting to those who haven’t experienced it.
I have been hanging out with my Princess friends on and off for several years now!
I for one would love to see a vlog

I have a question about meeting characters. If the character doesn’t initiate a hug, can you do it? What about linking arms for a photo if the character again doesn’t initiate it?
Tbh there are no rules about it cause it is more about what feels and genuine and not creepy at that moment. This is what I personally do:
- face characters: I will never initiate or ask for any physical contact (gug, arms, gands whatever) if I dont know what to do with my hands Ill have my arm bzhind their back so it looks for the photo you re holsing them but you arent really. So basically I met the character decide entirely
- fur characters: if I want to give them a hug and they didnt initiate Ill ask. Some are just bigger huggers than others just like some people are and others arent. Im a hugger but id feel bad to make someone gug who isnt so I often just watch what happens when other guests are meeting that character. As for the pose the character will often take the initiative and if they dont Ill just ask what pose can we do today? I like matching poses when it comes to Minnie and daisy. Or I love it when the chipmunks each give a kiss on one side or -frame- you but it just depends on the situation and vibes of the meet. I love sitting down poses but rules arent the same everywhere and for zveryone and also the -getting back up- wouldnt be the same for every character so not really something to ask

Apologies if you have mentioned this before, but I'm wondering are you on The Dream in Europe or have friends on The Dream in Europe? I am just off the 4 night Spanish cruise to Bilbao, I've just started my trip report. This cruise and the ones before have been somewhat challenging for the crew, in all departments. The cruise I was on was 90% UK people and I saw and have heard about so much bad behaviour from both adults and children. I'm not surprised by what you have posted, as from what I saw on my cruise, things like this would have happened alot.

This is not the place, but keep reading my trip report as I will write about the very challenging times for the crew and how I'm sure it was a very stressful cruise.
Look far be it from me to say people from the UK havent behaved well or whatever. But can you not pretend that its some how an explanation ‘oh they are British’. I am a cop in Scotland, I work in an area where I regularly encounter American tourists and Armed forces personnel on shore leave etc, Ive travelled the USA extensively and indeed the rest of the world, rude people are rude people, there are cultural things which i’ve seen in America which are normative to American people but rude or annoying to others (for example the way people behave in concerts/shows/cinemas etc talking loudly through performances, skipping lines in disney parks and things around general mannerisms in driving like not moving out of fast lanes or moving over when others are merging into a freeway) and there will be things that are stereotypical behaviours for people of all other countries. I have seen people from America behave appallingly on disney cruises, indeed an Irish waitress on the Wonder when i travelled told me she had never encountered anything like it, I actually pulled an older guy up for the way he was speaking to a waitress in Cabanas, but that is not indicative of American people as a whole, my experiences of American people are largely very positive, in particular I have met some of the warmest nicest people in Nashville, San Diego, Alaska and Florida that ive ever met and indeed some of the kindest things ive ever seen have happened in America also. Looking at things objectively when you put people in a small confined space then norms and expectations of all those different backgrounds and cultures appear odd to some and not everyone will have the same experiences. For people to hit out with phrases like ‘chavs’ (which means council housed and violent, the closest American term would be ‘trailer trash’) is strange as it would be highly unlikely someone from this social group would be able to pay for a disney cruise, its actually just a bit sneering.

Tbh there are no rules about it cause it is more about what feels and genuine and not creepy at that moment. This is what I personally do:
- face characters: I will never initiate or ask for any physical contact (gug, arms, gands whatever) if I dont know what to do with my hands Ill have my arm bzhind their back so it looks for the photo you re holsing them but you arent really. So basically I met the character decide entirely
- fur characters: if I want to give them a hug and they didnt initiate Ill ask. Some are just bigger huggers than others just like some people are and others arent. Im a hugger but id feel bad to make someone gug who isnt so I often just watch what happens when other guests are meeting that character. As for the pose the character will often take the initiative and if they dont Ill just ask what pose can we do today? I like matching poses when it comes to Minnie and daisy. Or I love it when the chipmunks each give a kiss on one side or -frame- you but it just depends on the situation and vibes of the meet. I love sitting down poses but rules arent the same everywhere and for zveryone and also the -getting back up- wouldnt be the same for every character so not really something to ask
Since I am an older man (who naturally, sometimes has "thoughts", but suppresses unwanted actions), I always tread lightly. Even the smallish fur characters are often younger women, so I am cautious. These are real people in performance roles who are put into contact with strangers, so I defer to their initiative and, when in doubt, keep my hands "on 10 and 2". My wife is the more effusive one anyway.

I’m in complete agreement with all that has been said regarding how not to behave with the characters, especially the princesses, however and although improper touching is not usually an issue between Guests and non-character CMs, rudeness, verbal abuse and even the threat of physical harm does occur. I’m speaking mainly about at WDW,

Considering how many people are at WDW it’s rare but it takes place every day to unsuspecting CMs. I think it’s safe to say that’s it’s happened to every CM, yes, even me the model CM, ya, right.

I’m sure there are more roles but some of the ones that come to mind which are more susceptible to Guest’s bad behavior are quick & table service CMs, crowd control CMs, Front Desk CMs, Security CMs and bus drivers.

Last edited:
I’m in complete agreement with all that has been said regarding how not to behave with the characters, especially the princesses, however and although improper touching is not usually an issue between Guests and non-character CMs, rudeness, verbal abuse and even the threat of physical harm does occur. I’m speaking mainly about at WDW,

Considering how many people are at WDW it’s rare but it takes place every day to unsuspecting CMs. I think it’s safe to say that’s it’s happened to every CM, yes, even me the model CM, ya, right.

I’m sure there are more roles but some of the ones that come to mind which are more susceptible to Guest’s bad behavior are quick & table service CMs, crowd control CMs, Front Desk CMs, Security CMs and bus drivers.
Yes, I completely agree with this too! I think it all deserves to be brought to light and to bring awareness to it all the same! We all as a society (and not just Americans or Brits, but everyone in the world) need to start valuing kindness again!

I myself don't initiate. I follow the lead of the characters. If they offer a hug, i oblige. If they offer an arm to link, i do that. When I saw Rapunzel at Magic Kingdom, she and I did a back to back pose (i guess I was too much of a ruffian at that time🤣jk).

Agreed!!! I did notice a difference in attitude and behavior between my CP and being a performer.
I do think it got worse once people starting posting online that if you complained to a CM they would give you “anything” to make you happy, and it just kept getting worse.
I only had a few instances of inappropriate behavior while performing in the parks. Usually it was Princesses such as Ariel, Jasmine and Pocahontas that received the most unwanted attention

Last edited:
Look far be it from me to say people from the UK havent behaved well or whatever. But can you not pretend that its some how an explanation ‘oh they are British’. I am a cop in Scotland, I work in an area where I regularly encounter American tourists and Armed forces personnel on shore leave etc, Ive travelled the USA extensively and indeed the rest of the world, rude people are rude people, there are cultural things which i’ve seen in America which are normative to American people but rude or annoying to others (for example the way people behave in concerts/shows/cinemas etc talking loudly through performances, skipping lines in disney parks and things around general mannerisms in driving like not moving out of fast lanes or moving over when others are merging into a freeway) and there will be things that are stereotypical behaviours for people of all other countries. I have seen people from America behave appallingly on disney cruises, indeed an Irish waitress on the Wonder when i travelled told me she had never encountered anything like it, I actually pulled an older guy up for the way he was speaking to a waitress in Cabanas, but that is not indicative of American people as a whole, my experiences of American people are largely very positive, in particular I have met some of the warmest nicest people in Nashville, San Diego, Alaska and Florida that ive ever met and indeed some of the kindest things ive ever seen have happened in America also. Looking at things objectively when you put people in a small confined space then norms and expectations of all those different backgrounds and cultures appear odd to some and not everyone will have the same experiences. For people to hit out with phrases like ‘chavs’ (which means council housed and violent, the closest American term would be ‘trailer trash’) is strange as it would be highly unlikely someone from this social group would be able to pay for a disney cruise, its actually just a bit sneering.
I’m sorry, this was never intended to call out people from different countries. I was speaking of people in general.
But from experience, it doesn’t seem to make a difference where people are from, their common sense and manners are often forgotten at home

I’m sorry, this was never intended to call out people from different countries. I was speaking of people in general.
But from experience, it doesn’t seem to make a difference where people are from, their common sense and manners are often forgotten at home
Yes! I don’t think any nationality should feel called out by anything you said. It’s a general society thing. Like you said when people [of all nationalities] heard they could get anything they wanted from complaining it just spiraled.

Lol, it just came to me, I think people who think they are entitled to so much from Disney should go spend a few days at a regular amusement park and maybe they’ll take some humble pie home!

ETA: or at least be a little more grateful for the experiences they are privileged to get from Disney!

A couple of additions to the original post…
-please make sure you clean you child’s hands and face before meeting a Princess (or any character actually). Sticky and dirty Princess dresses are gross.
-if your child is scared, don’t try and push them closer to the character. Allow the child to stand or sit where they feel comfortable and then let the character work with that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter