characters?? I am worried

I agree. WDW beats DL HANDS DOWN in the character department. At WDW you can actually see and meet characters at specific spots and there are a LOT more out to meet. At DL I was there for an entire week and the only non-Fab 5/Princess/Pooh character I saw wandering around at all were Bear Bear and Fox. People seem to actually wait in a line at WDW rather than the madness of who can shove someone to the front of the line the fastest I witnessed at DL. I took City Hall about that, they really should hire some more Character Attendants to curb the craziness.

Also I know I went in the slow season to DL but even during the down times at WDW you will still see lots of characters all.

Benny, when were you at DL last? We were there 3 different trips about 3yrs ago, and that was the experience we had. There were very few character attendants, and there was way too much push and shoving going on. The every man (woman, & child) for themselves atmosphere really took a lot of the magic out of meeting the characters, and I felt bad for the CM's that were playing the part too. I was hoping in the last 3 yrs that we haven't been there, something would have changed in this department. :sad2:
OP, is the book you bought the one that says Fodors on top and is written by Michael and Trisa Knight? We bought their book Disneyland & Southern Ca. with Kids. It says pretty much what I would do: Get the Disneyland Today guide, and check it for times and locations of character greets. It also says not to put off meeting them until the afternoon, because most of them head home in the later afternoon and evening. It does mention that they are in the parks most of the day.

I also found this site that has places you can typically see the characters at DL. Can anyone verify if the info here is usually correct?

Here are some updated places of where you will meet characters in my experience. My DS is a character junkie--he would be perfectly content to just character greet and ride the carrousel all day at DLR! So, I feel like I've become something of an expert on finding the characters. All of these are characters that we have met, not just ones that I have heard about other people meeting.

Fab 5/8 (if you include Daisy and the chipmunks!): Town Square early in the day and sometimes later (but not always) & in Toontown at opening--60 minutes after the rest of the park opens. One important thing to note is that Mickey usually doesn't have a PP photographer with him until he moves to the Barn. If that is important to you, wait until 2 hours after park open to go visit him. Pluto, Goofy, Mickey and Minnie are way easier to find that Donald and Daisy, with Daisy being the most rare. We ended up finally getting a picture with her during the character calvalcade parade that is part of MToTP this past October. Pluto is also the character that is most often at the second half of the Visa meet and greet at DCA. Chip n Dale are the characters there for the first half of the 90 minute meet n greet every morning from 10:30-12:00 by the Monster's Inc attraction at DCA. Pluto is also at Goofy's Kitchen (in a chef's hat for pictures at the door)and the Lilo and Stitch breakfast most days. A tropically dressed Minnie or Goofy (they take turns) also tend to be the door greeters at L&S most mornings.

100 Acre Woods: Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore are the most frequently encountered characters in the 100 foot wood greeting area in Critter Country. Piglet comes out once in a great while, but it is pretty rare to see him at DL. Typically Pooh and one other character are out at a single point in time, but if you are really lucky both Tigger & Eeyore will be out at the same time. Also, sometimes only Pooh has a PP photog, but if you ask very nicely you can get them to sometimes take PP pics of your group with Eeyore and/or Tigger.

Princesses: PFF (of course), Ariel's Grotto character meals, occasionally at Goofy's Kitchen, and sometimes out in front right after you come through the turnstiles, but before you go through the tunnel. We have met Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel (in human form), Belle (in yellow dress and in blue dress), Pocahontas, Princess Minnie and Jasmine. We have also seen Mulan and Snow White at PFF but they left before it was our turn. Jasmine hangs out in Adventureland in a special meeting area by where the old Aladdin Storytime show used to be.

Playhouse Disney: We have met Annie, June (from the Little Einsteins) and Handy Manny outside the PHD theatre in DCA. We have yet to meet Quincy and Leo (also LE), but I have seen pictures of other people with them, so I know they exist.

Villains: Cruella Deville shows up by the Firehouse on Main Street and on the Backlot of DCA pretty regularly. She is the only villain we have encountered out on a regular basis, with the exception of Captain Hook, who is a regular at the Minnie & Friends character breakfast. However, during our Halloween trip this year at DCA we also met Hook on the Backlot, the Queen of Hearts (she scared my son silly!), and Lady Tremaine plus Anastasia & Drizella (otherwise known as the Evil Stepmother and Stepsisters from Cinderella). We saw Governror Radcliffe (Pocahontas), Bowler Hat Guy (Meet the Robinsons) and Frollo (Hunchback of Notre Dame), but did not wait in line to meet them. The Wicked Queen from Snow White also made frequent appearances in both normal and hag form outside of the Animation Building during the big Snow White celebration last year, but I have not seen her since.

Pixar: Sulley from Monster's Inc. and the Incredibles (Mr. & Mrs. plus Frozone) are also out on the Backlot quite often. Buzz Lightyear is found either outside of Innoventions or by the exit/handicap entrance for Space Mountain. We got pics/autograph with Woody by attending the Drawn to the Magic show at DCA.

Classic Characters: We met Peter Pan on the path going from where the fairies are now located into the castle. He was playing hide and seek and was super fun! We met Wendy standing next to the Carrousel in Fantasyland. While Alice and the Mad Hatter sometimes hang out by the AIW attractions, we have seen them more often out at the very front of the park, and both are frequent guests at Goofy's Kitchen. Mary Poppins and Bert are often visiting the piano player at the Coke Corner on Main Street, and we met one of the penguins at M&F.

Princes: The only one that we have met is Aladdin at the same spot that Jasmine hangs out at in Adventureland. Beast is occasionally seen at the Ariel breakfast, but we have yet to get that lucky! Other princes tend to only show up in the parades.

Lilo & Stitch: They host a breakfast at PPH and then are sometimes seen in the Sunshine Plaza at DCA.

Pixie Hollow: This is the newest character greeting spot and it is where you meet Tinkerbelle and some of her other fairy friends. I believe that there are a total of 6 different fairies, but only 1 or 2 others will be out with Tink at any given point in time. This area replaced the former Ariel meet and greet where you used to be able to meet mermaid form Ariel.

Random Characters: The Fairy Godmother is sometimes at M&F. Max (Goofy's son) is also sometimes seen at several of the breakfasts (we saw him at M&F and Goofy's). Baloo (Jungle Book) also visits Goofy's Kitchen. Meeko (Pocahontas), Koda & Kenai (Brother Bear) are the most common characters at the Chip n Dale breakfast at Storyteller's. We also met Gepetto at the M&F breakfast. Brer Bear and Brer Fox are out in Critter Country, either by the Hungry Bear restaurant entrance or the Splash Mountain exit nearly everyday.

Jack Sparrow: Used to hang out all over New Orleans Square and sometimes on the island, but as reported elsewhere, I have also been told that he is gone from the parks permanently (or at least there is no set return date at this time).

One final thing to note is that it can be fun to visit during different times of the year as many of the characters will change outfits with the season. The Fab 6, Pooh & friends and the Brer characters all have winter outfits, and the Fab 6 have Halloween costumes as well. We have also met Sorcerer Mickey, Tin Soldier Mickey, Vacation Mickey, Sailor Mickey & Goofy, etc.

We have filled 2 autograph books and are working on a third. I hope this helps and I would love to hear from others who have recent character sightings/locations to add to the list!

Wow - great and extensive list. :goodvibes

I only have very little to add:

The Old Hag was out again for Halloween at the Hollywood Backlot. We only saw her once there, but the Wicked Queen came out several times a day.
We also saw Don Karnage from Tailspin, the Big Bad Wolf and Prince John there, but that probably was for Halloween too.

After Halloween we only met Max, Sulley and Goofy there.

In 2007 Daisy was the "door greeter" at Lilo & Stitch, but that may have changed.

We've seen Mulan in November both at Goofy's (twice) and Ariel's Grotto.

Snow White, Mickey in Fantasia outfit, Woody (and another day Cinderella instead of Snow White) were at the Drawn to the Magic show in DCA, but I read somewhere on here that the show was cancelled?

The entry plaza at DCA also was a great place to meet characters, there was almost without exception someone hanging out there. We've met Mickey, Minnie, Chip & Dale together and solo and Pluto solo and with Mickey there.

We've always visited the end of October/beginning of November for the past three years. 2008 absolutely had the most amount of characters I saw during these three years.

Update you will NO longer able to see Capt Jack at DL. I'm not sure about WDW, but confirmed by 2 different cast members he is no longer in the parks.

I read a post on the Theme parks forum that says Jack is no longer available for meet/greets at all at WDW, especially since they seem to have done away with the Pirate and Princess parties (which is just about the only place you could be sure to meet him). They still have the "pirate tutorials' but you can't really "meet" him or get his autograph.

So ridiculous. Take a hugely popular character and just kick him out. Whatev'.

OK, going from the Autograph book right now - last time (2007) we were there we saw (in order):
Minnie Mouse
Snow White
Princess Aurora
Cinderella
Belle
Lewis
Bowler Hat Guy
Captain Hook
eeyore
Dale
Chip
Pooh
Ariel
Mrs. Incredible
Tigger
Minnie
Fairy Godmother
Aladdin
Koda
Dale
Chip
Timon
Stitch
Minnie
Princess Atta
Mickey Mouse
Goofy
Stitch
Lilo
Daisy
Pluto
Minnie
Buzz
Mickey
Rafiki
Clarabelle Cow
Mulan
Chip
Princess Aurora
Jasmine
Dale
Pluto

We also saw, but did not get autographs from:
Jack Sparrow
another Pirate ;-)
THe girl gorilla from Brother Bear
Cruella Deville
Mary Poppins
Burt
Wendy
Peter Pan
Belle in her blue outfit

More but I either didn't take pics or have forgotten - sufficeth to say, they were everywhere...

So, not bad in my book!

Bumber yeah we did the party where we met him the first time at WDW. Unfortunately due to some non disney like behaviour from girls/grown women Jack was pulled. Both CM in NO uncertain terms said it got really inappropriate at times even had some flashing the girls. The CM said walt really meant here you leave today, and enter yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Bumber yeah we did the party where we met him the first time at WDW. Unfortunately due to some non disney like behaviour from girls/grown women Jack was pulled. Both CM in NO uncertain terms said it got really inappropriate at times even had some flashing the girls. The CM said walt really meant here you leave today, and enter yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

I remember our experience with Jack!!! you follow him around throughout the entire thing and even if hes talking to you and has your autographbook/pen some grown woman always has to butt in for pictures or try to take your book... thankfully Jack was really cool and just kept walking so they couldnt get a good pic and took a great one with all us kids

c620scd.jpg

its pretty sad grown women are doing rude things in DISNEYLAND of all places... I really wish they wouldn't of done that as Jack was one of my most memoriable characters... he played the part so well and it was a lot of fun to parade around new orleans and critter country after him :)

Benny, when were you at DL last? We were there 3 different trips about 3yrs ago, and that was the experience we had. There were very few character attendants, and there was way too much push and shoving going on.

I went for a week in the beginning of September. It was CRAZY trying to meet Donald Duck, I gave up after about 10 minutes as I was solo and It was just crazy and I kept on going backwards in the line. Same thing happened with "vacation" Minnie over in DCA. :guilty:

You would think just for CMs safety they would have an attendant with them at all times.

We go to DL regularly as AP holders, and I can say that when we went to WDW last December, there were a lot more character interactions there than at DL. Furthermore, if you read recent postings on miceage, you will learn that the entertainment department has faced the brunt of the cuts so far, which means, in part, character opportunities. Whereas even up to last year, there were frequent characters roaming around and even going on rides, they are very easy to miss now. Having said that, if it is your priority, you can certainly go out of your way to find them and build your itinerary around that. But those who have argue against that, I would remind you that there used to be a villains meet-and-greet in the back of the castle at DL, which is gone; there use to be a character meet-and-greet in the animation building at DCA, which has been replaced with the zoetrope; you used to routinely see Winnie, Eyeore, and Tigger outside the Winnie the Pooh ride, and lately I have only seen Pooh there, etc. The cutbacks are real and observable.

...which has been replaced with the zoetrope...

OT: I really like the zoetrope and think that it's a great addition to the animation building.

Max has been out and about in Toontown (as of last spring)...saw him right after his dad, the Goofster, passed through the area, oddly enough.

I can never stress enough to take advantage of City Hall in pinpointing the exact time and location that your favorite character will appear for meet-n-greet in DL (you can only ask after one or two at a time, but the CM will call up and figure out part of that character's scheduling for that day so you're guaranteed to meet said character if you show up at the time and place given to you...they'll also tell you if said character is not out in the park that day so that you're not wasting your time waiting around for someone who won't show).

We were at DLR this last week and I could not have been more pleased with the amount of character interaction we had. We never once went out of our way to find characters by going to meet and greets or anything like that. We didn't have to, we constantly ran into them for 3 straight days. We once passed Alice when we were leaving Fantasyland and she was on her way in, and she turned around and pushed my son's stroller for a bit! We ran into Goofy at the DLH (we weren't guests there, we were just strolling) and he motioned for my son to ride in the autotopia car in the lobby there with him for a minute. That was fantastic! And Dale played with my youngest son for a few solid minutes in Reindeer Roundup. I haven't been to WDW, and maybe we got lucky this week, but it's hard to imagine you could have much better experiences with characters there than we had this week.

You used to routinely see Winnie, Eyeore, and Tigger outside the Winnie the Pooh ride, and lately I have only seen Pooh there, etc. The cutbacks are real and observable.
All the Pooh characters are there. They take turns, usually 2 at a time, but we see them all the time when we are over in that area. In fact, just the other day I commented to a friend, "Wow, the Pooh characters are just always out, aren't they?" They seem to go away later in the evening.

thank you all so much. you have helped so much. I did have the Fordors book but by mistake I bought the one from 2005. I bought the one for WDW last year and that one was great! I was just surprised how different the 2 books were.

Thanks so much for this thread. We just booked our June trip, and my daughter loves Stitch and I'm a Sully fanatic. Looks like we should bump into them during our time in the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter