• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Charge for most reservations showing up on my credit card? - anyone else seen this?

LovesHerTaurus

LovesHerTaurus
For the reservations that need a credit card guarantee when you're on the dining plan (Cinderella, Akershus, Spirit of Aloha, etc.), I get a charge on my credit card for $1.06. No biggie, but the CM I talked to when making the reservations was really surprised by this.

Has anyone else seen this? I have had about $13 in charges (guarantee charges?) since I change reservations around after I read on this board about places I didn't know about :P

Note: I'm from Canada so it might just be a $1 charge and I see the .06 cents in the exchange rate?

I'm from Canada so it might just be a $1 charge and I see the .06 cents in the exchange rate?

I would agree that the 6 cents is definitely exchange but the $1 makes no sense at all. Unless this is a way to make sure the credit card is valid. I have never seen this before though so I wonder if this a new policy.

Some banks make a small charge whenever a credit card's authorization is checked. The charge is later reversed. The amount and whether it is done varies from bank to bank, which would explain why the CM with whom you spoke was surprised.

I would agree that the 6 cents is definitely exchange but the $1 makes no sense at all. Unless this is a way to make sure the credit card is valid. I have never seen this before though so I wonder if this a new policy.

1$ charge is a minimum charge for many cards companies and some credit transaction providers.

If I had to guess, that may have been an authorization instead of an actual charge.

Was this a Debit card?

Alot of it really depends on how the credit transaction does the authorization check, and how the bank decides to report the authorization to the client.

When I was working with Cap 1, it didn't show as an actual charge, but it still reduced your available credit and it confused customers [pretty much, no matter the card company does, it's going to lead to confusion].

We're in the states and use Bank of America and have received the $1.00 authorizations on our statements as well. The way it was explained to me by the bank is that Disney is checking authorization for the card (it's valid and able to be used) but isn't actually charged - where money is applied to the account as a transaction. When I look at the details in the online statement it says "Temporary merchant authorization. Amount may change."

So, if and when the transaction finally takes place the amount will be adjusted and the transaction charged. We used the same account previously for a dinner at CRT and the same thing occured. When we got there we used the DDP and nothing ever appeared on the statement and the hold was removed.

That was our experience.

Humm I had to put down a C.C. # for a Sunsett safari, Victoria & ALberts, Cali. grill, & Mama Melroses Fantasmic dining plan. I haven't had any charges show up on my C.C.. I did use the same C.C. for my resort stay @ AKL, and all ADR's are tied in with this reservation # so maybe that is why I didn' get charged, they know from first charge that it's a valid C.C.:confused3

These authorization checks get removed very quickly (not reversed, removed), so if you don't check your account within a few days of the authorizaion check, you'll never know the temporary $1 charge was ever there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter