Chauvin Verdict In

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why there cannot actually be good conversation about a complicated issue. Disrespect. Many more police die in the line of duty than "kill us".

Yes, there does need to be additional police training. There also needs to be public training - such as, when you are directed by the police to do something, do it. Actions have consequences. They do not need to lead to death but so many of these cases in the news began because of trying to flea, fighting back, etc. I raised my three sons to stay alive. If they were ever pulled over, got a ticket, anything, do what's asked and we can sort out the rest later. What we cannot do is bring them back to life if they're killed.

As a Texas HS student my daughter is required to take a class on how to interact with police officers in the state. This is a new graduation requirement for the class of '22. I am very happy TX passed this as a law.

It may not effectively matter. I'm guessing the judge will hand out concurrent sentences.
If DisneyJamieCA's post above is correct -- and I believe it is -- in MN they only sentence on the most serious offense, which in this case would be Murder 2.

That's incorrect. Chauvin waived his right to jury trial of those issues and Judge Cahill will decide whether or not to exceed the standard sentencing guidelines.

Sorry read somewhere (before the verdict) that it was a possibility that the jury would be asked to return to do the sentencing. I'd heard that the defense opted for the sentencing to be decided by the judge.

That's incorrect. Chauvin waived his right to jury trial of those issues and Judge Cahill will decide whether or not to exceed the standard sentencing guidelines.
Yes he did wave his rights , I watched when he was asked and wanted the judge to decide.

If DisneyJamieCA's post above is correct -- and I believe it is -- in MN they only sentence on the most serious offense, which in this case would be Murder 2.

Much of the reporting is that the judge could decide on the sentences being concurrent or consecutive. I think we'll have to wait.

Much of the reporting is that the judge could decide on the sentences being concurrent or consecutive. I think we'll have to wait.
I honestly don't know, but DisneyJamieCA posted a news article, and I found another news article that agreed, saying in MN defendants are only sentenced on the most serious crime. I've never heard that before, but MN is different in many ways.

IF the judge can only sentence for the most serious conviction, that would be a perfect situation to apply Blakey factors and exceed the sentencing guidelines. I don't think 12.5 years would satisfy many people.

I honestly don't know, but DisneyJamieCA posted a news article, and I found another news article that agreed, saying in MN defendants are only sentenced on the most serious crime. I've never heard that before, but MN is different in many ways.

IF the judge can only sentence for the most serious conviction, that would be a perfect situation to apply Blakey factors and exceed the sentencing guidelines. I don't think 12.5 years would satisfy many people.

The judge is going to have discretion though. I heard a maximum of 40 years on the most serious charge, although I'd find it unlikely.

Does anyone think that Chauvin was surprised with his face reaction with guilty verdict? I think he thought he would be found innocent.

Does anyone think that Chauvin was surprised with his face reaction with guilty verdict? I think he thought he would be found innocent.

I absolutely think he believed he had a pretty decent shot at getting off. He's likely never been held accountable before, so why should this be any different?

I was convinced it would be a hung jury. Thought for sure there would be at least 1 juror deadlocking the decision. So very happy I was wrong.

I don't mean anything, boat. I did not make the statement that riots can be considered entertainment.
You quoted me.
So you’re saying it’s ok to be entertained by a thread about a man who was convicted on 3 charges of murder for doing his job, but not the threat of riots that people feel had a cause in that?
Gotcha murph!

Alan Dershowitz believes the conviction will be reversed on appeal due to something a prominent person said today that the jurors heard. I don't want to get points for political posting but you can Google it. Newsweek and other websites.

Alan Dershowitz believes the conviction will be reversed on appeal due to something a prominent person said today that the jurors heard. I don't want to get points for political posting but you can Google it. Newsweek and other websites.
What did jurors hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter