cheap dining ideas...

mrsmouse

Mouseketeer
i'd like to begin a thread on "cheap" or inexpensive dining ideas.

we're going in april, and splurged on a 3 day cruise at the end of our stay. we need to budget, budget, buget! the beginning of our trip is 6 nights staying in a cottage/suites hotel that does have a full kitchen. ( REMEMBER, this mom is on vacation TOO!) we'll take afternoon breaks, pack snacks, etc.

Some ideas and experiences we've had in the past...

breakfast will be easy from the suite, cereal, bagels, eggs maybe.

we discovered Jungle Jim's at Crossraods last visit and greatly appreciated the $1.99 kids' meals and 1/2 price drink specials. has anyone been there recently for a price update?

also, there was a delicious italian restaurant at Crossraods, also, "paesanos" I think? We discovered that with a wdw4adults coupon back in '98. no more coupons, though. :( but, they were pretty reasonable as i recall.

i'm wondering about other GOOD off-site restaurants or pizza or chinese food places.

also, any few ingredient easy & quick meals to prepare at the hotel?

can't wait to hear your ideas?

thanks in advance!

Offsite we've enjoyed Pebbles and Pizzeria Uno, located at the Crossroads. Long ago, there was a place along 192, north of I4, that was called Fiorello's (?). Had good pizza and Italian food there, nothing fancy. Don't know if it's still there.

Sharon

We like chilis, ok I like the 2 for 1 margarita deal. For a family of 5 our bill is never over $40.

For a cheap, quick & easy meal what about spaghetti with some garlic bread & a salad? You could buy a jar of spaghetti sauce & a thing of frozen garlic bread. Add a bag salad & you have a filling meal (lots of carbs too to keep that energy level up).

You failed to mention if you were driving, flying, or have you own transportation while there. If you are flying and being picked up by disney transportation, try mailing yourself a package ahead of time. Start a month or so before you go, that every time you grocery shop, add another box of cereal, crackers and "canned cheese", Little Debbie, granola bars or milk & cereal bars, zip top bags for packing in snacks, etc. A week before you go, mail it to your resort with a "keep for guest so-and-so arrival date..." Saves space packing or time at the grocery stop. :)

great ideas! let's keep this up!

BTW we're flying. i thought to order from netgrocer.com and have some groceries delivered to the resort... but not mailing them to myself!

the pasta dinner is also a great idea!

any others?

bumpin' this up for more!

Regarding the pasta dinner, we do that as well, but with a twist. We will usually splurge a little and buy the fresh pasta and fresh sauce available in the gourmet section of the store. Though more expensive than a box of sphagetti and a jar of Prego, it saves money over eating at a restaurant yet it still different than what you would have at home.

Another thought, on vacation, we often find we get a lot of leftovers, which are great for lunch or dinner later in the week. We usually have a lunchbag with ice or frozen juice boxes in it within a diaper bag or backpack while touring, so we can usually stuff a leftover in there if we know it'll be a few hours before we'll be back to the room.

If you are a wine lover, bring your own bottle opener. We've found sometimes they are either missing or are very poor at opening the bottle (rendering the cork useless as a stopper top).

Sharon

You can also try bagels for lunch for a break from the usual sandwich fare. You can make a meal out of bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit and baby carrots. For supper, we've done individual Banquet pot pies. They're so cheap and so easy! I usually nuke some extra frozen veggies and add them to everyone's pie to sneak in some extra nutrition. ;) Add a can of chilled fruit or jar of applesauce to finish the meal and you're all set. Another easy meal is canned soup and bagged salad and/or fresh fruit. Again, I would add some of the frozen veggies to the soup, too, to give it a boost. Obviously, a lot will depend on whether you're cooking for picky eaters or not. My 3 kids are great eaters, so that alone makes mealtime a breeze. Anyway, hope this helps!

Get a bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts, bag of frozen 'stirfry' veggies (some even include a sauce/seasoning packet) and some Minute Rice.

A bit of thawing, brown and slice up a couple chicken breasts, a quick boiling of water for the rice and a few tosses in a hot lightly oiled skillet and you have a quick, nutritious and delicious stir-fry supper. Add a bagged salad and cookies for dessert and VOILA!:bounce:

Another idea: if you can get access to a crockpot (send or take your own?), just throw meat, veggies, canned soup or sauce, etc. in the pot in the morning before you leave and set it on low to medium heat. Supper is ready when you get back. You can even use a chuck roast, carrots, potatoes, can of whole tomatoes and some onion. Hey, what's wrong with pot-roast on vacation?:)

I just remembered, when we went to blizzard beach I saw a woman with a bag of bagels, and a jar of goober(peanut butter with jelly stripes) and she was making sandwiches right there with a plastic knife!!! I had never thought of that but kids hate soggy pb&J and this was a quick, cheap and easy way to feed them there(not to mention time saving since the lines are long for food).

Check out the Orlando Sentinel website for printable coupons for local restaurants. When we went in October there were pages and pages of coupons. You can also get lots of coupons for local restaurants when you call for the orlando travel guide that they advertise on tv.

We save a lot on our drinks during the day. We stay onsite, and have the refillable mugs, so we use those anytime we're at the resort. We then take them to the parks with us, and rinse them out. The counter serve places will give you free cups of ice, then we add premeasured Kool-Aid lemonade mix and some water from the water fountain. Cool, refreshing, and FREE! Plus, I only buy the drink mix when it goes on sale buy-one-get-one-free. You wouldn't believe how fast the cost of drinks add up during the day in the parks!

We also stay at FW a lot. Cabins and tenting both. Having the grill or the full kitchen in the cabin is great! Meals we do often are: spaghetti, chicken fajitas in the Reynolds bag, and english muffin pizzas. Plus the standard cook out fare.

Thumper's Dad

What a great idea. It sounds like a great idea to mail my crockpot to my resort. While we are at the parks the food will be cooking. That is what i do while we are working anyway.

mrsmouse

How about franks with mac and cheese with fresh or canned pineapple. Maybe cheeseburger/ hot dog night with fries and a bagged salad might work. Fairly cheap and very easy.

What great ideas!!!

I decided to collect some things before I go... if my grocery bag gets too large I'll mail it down there.
I found individual filter coffee packs at my Odd Job for $0.25 a pack. I've also set aside a couple of my daughters' favorite easy lunches, the Easy Mac and Ragu microwave pasta packets. Why buy a whole box down there when we might only use 1 or 2? Also, those lunchable dessert packs, cookie and brownie with icing and sprinkles, were on sale for $1.34 for 2! When I have to say no to the bakery cookie or to dessert a dinner... voila! I never buy those regularly. I think I'm going to have to have a few ideas for meals , see what the kitchen has to offer as far as pots, etc., and what I find easily at the grocery store. Do they have whole roasted chickens in Goodings?

Also, I came across a coupon book I must have reuested from Holiday Inn Maingate East website. In it I found coupons for restaurants like Houlihan's and Pizzaria Uno for kids meals for free or $0.99! Also, pizza coupons for Dominos and Flippers(I guess a local pizza joint, never heard of them but their prices are right!).

Thanks again! I'm waiting a bit longer to copy and paste this.

I believe i have seen chickens in Goodings plus alot of other goodies.. They are more expensive than Publix but if that the place that is convenient for you than go for it. A soup / sandwich night might work also. The left over cold cuts might work for a snack or lunch in the park the next day if you bring a cooler bag . Have fun!

I see you might ship. If you don't have much luggage i just pack a sturdy box , label with your flight and don't seal it until they inspect at the airport.I tell them it is a condo box. I know it's work but it saves you from going to UPS. Our box was always there on the arrival. I did this going to Florida and Grand Bahama Islands.

Here is a little trick I use all the time that makes for quick and easy meals. When you buy ground beef for tacos, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce etc., as soon as you get home brown it all. Then drain in a colander, run hot water over it and let the water drain out. Then put it in a ziploc(in the amount you would use for dinner) and freeze it. Then when you want to use it, you just put it in the pan and add manwich or taco seasonings etc. It only takes a few minutes extra for it to thaw out. This is also a calorie saver since you drain and rinse every bit of fat off of it. I do this often when ground chuck is on sale. It also takes up less room in your freezer than freezing it in the package uncooked.

Here's an idea we did this summer:

Grab a bag of Ceasar Salad (includes lettuce and dressing), a bag of already prepared chicken strips, and a package of flour tortillas. Put some salad mix on the tortillas, add some chicken strips and top with dressing. Wrap 'em up. Now you have the hotel room version of Chicken Ceasar Wraps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter