Cheapest, least crowded time to go for kids in school

jaletu2000

<font color=deeppink>I am a DISneyholic...<br><fon
OK I have a question for all you disney vets out there: In your experience (and from reading these boards I can tell some of you really have had a lot of experience at DW) when is the cheapest (best hotel rates) and least crowded time to go with kids?

My kids can't be taken out of school for such a trip (school board made that very plain in a handout last year) so I must go during vacation. Is perhaps the week before Christmas best? OR as we have Spring Break in March would that be better? Also considering last week of May and 1st week of June as they are out by then.

Reason I ask is that I am alarmed by reports of super hot weather, smoke and unhappy CMs. Want this next trip to be as pleasant as possible so before I commit PLEASE, please let me know what you think.

It's been many years since I've been to Disney when school was out, but it seems to me from what you've posted that right before Christmas would be best for you. Beginning the second week in March until mid-April is very busy at Disney due to Spring Break. Late May/early June is very hot. I was there the second week in May last year and it was very hot (and somewhat smoky).

If you go just before Christmas you have the added advantage of all the Christmas-related activities and sights.

That will not be the absolute cheapest time, but that would only come while your kids are in school.

Travelsherry

Thanks for the prompt reply. Would my two DS's still be able to do Typhoon Lagoon in Dec? I understand they close for rehab sometime in the winter months. Is this time really cold? Maybe Thanksgiving week would be better?

Don't know about Typhoon Lagoon, but I did go during Thanksgiving week many years ago and it was packed. All holiday weekends are crowded.

December can be cold there (it's rare to be really cold), but not every year.

TravelSheryl

Have you been in March the third week? That's usually our Spring Break. If that's an overcrowded week too as it will be near Easter next year, then I think all we can do is go the last week of May. I'd hate for the DS's to miss out on Typhoon Lagoon. Promised this to them last time we went.

We have been daytrippers only for our Disney fix and it seems weather, crowds, etc. have been different experience each time! Our first trip was the week before Christmas and frankly it was crowded! But we had such a good time and the weather was mild (1996). Swimming wasn't even thought of.

We went back two years later in summer (third week of June) and no one had too good a time. Crowded far worse and the heat was awful.

DH and I went ourselves last summer and had a ball. Still hot but much easier to get around without kids. So I just wanted a vet's ideas about time to go and typical crowdedness of parks. Just don't feel I know the WDW patterns well enough myself yet. Yes I've bought the books. They were a great help. But this board has been much more helpful and a real eyeopener. I tell my DH and DK's "See I'm not crazy. Other people like WDW too!" :) I'm so glad I found you guys!

I've found Thanksgiving to be a good time to go - and the kids are off for some period of time then....

While I have never been at that time, I can assure you that the third week in March is very busy. That's the height of Spring Break!!

I guess I'm looking at this situation a bit differently...(heading for cover here)...our school district has not yet made such a declaration...and keeping my "disney fingers" crossed that they don't.
It seems to me that special vacations...(like Disney)...should be a very personal...family matter.
Our district has always been open to short vacations..has always sent homework ahead of time...perhaps required some type of educational project to be completed in conjunction with the vacation...
My kids do well in school and are socially responsible....just seems to me that with all the problems some kids have in school....drugs...weapons....actual and intentional truancy...etc....schools should be more concerned with other issues.
Sorry for the editorial...just my 2 cents.

:confused:

We've been the last week of May the past 3 years and have found it a great time to go. Many school systems are not out yet, so crowds are moderate yet everything is open. It IS hot, but we cope with that by doing ee, taking a mid-day break and returning in the evening and by also carrying water bottles and a fan. By planning our days, we very rarely stand in line longer than 10-15 minutes.

I agree with disneydays....I find it hard to swallow that the School district is telling you that you cannot take your kids out of school for a specialtrip. Yes school is important, but so is family time. If that is the way you want to do it I would find the week that worked for you finacially and do it.

I really get a annoyed when the "powers that be" try to dictate to me how to spend time with my children!!! What is going to happen, if they are good students, they should be able to handle a few days off. And if they are struggling students., maybe you could use this as an incentive to get there grades up...such as you have to pass all your classes, or raise your grades to be able to go, otherwise you stay home with grandma or auntie.

Bend the rules and have a good time...what's going to happen a black mark on your "permanent record"?????

Off my soap box SORRY!:mad:

in our school, they have the week of Thanskgiving off.. usually the M, T, W prior to Thanksgiving is conferences, and Thursday Friday off for the holiday.

Or even around other holiday, like Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur work as well... or Martin Luther Day

The December is nice but cold. We usually go that weekend after Thankgiving until the following week, and for the last two years typhoon has been closed, the only water park open was Blizzard Beach

I really didn't mean to touch off a volcano!LOL Yes I do think it's a bit much for the school boards to decide for the parents when they can or cannot take their kids out of school and for what. It seems less and less are the parents trusted to do the parenting.

I know in the private schools the kids can be taken out easily. But my kids go to public and I know in our county they frown on your kids being gone for extra vacation. Now if I were taking them to Europe or some other exotic location it might be different. More educational I guess.

I don't want to fight with the school over going to WDW (even though I agree with all of you) so it's just easier to go during regular vacation time - though it is limiting. Since the water park we want to see is closed or it's too cold to go during the less crowded weeks of Thanksgiving and Xmas then it will have to be in late May.

Thanks for all the input and support and don't worry - I've given the system grief when the situation called for it (changing to better teacher, more time for assignment after illness, better curriculum for ADDH child). I believe in being my children's parent but sometimes you have to pick your battles. Hey one day my kids will be grown and DH and I can go whenever we want! Yahoo!

I'd vote for that last week of May - we've done it several times. (matter of fact, we just came back 5/31).Spring break is a nightmare and while before Christmas is lovely, the closer you get to Christmas the more crowded it gets.

Last week of May can be hot, but not as bad as later in the summer. The northern schools aren't out for the summer 'til mid to late June so late May is relatively less crowded. My second choice is 1st week of June for the same reasons. The only thing to work around 1st week of June is Gay Days - the parks can get VERY crowded with their groups.

I'm surprised so many people like going the last week in May since it is a holiday weekend. We were there this year and the heat was pretty unbearable. It was also very crowded, and I know I won't go again at that time. I've got another trip planned for the week before Christmas and I'm hoping it won't be as crowded. I know the weather will be better. I live in Florida and with a little luck the weather can be very nice in December.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter