Check-in day question for alums and parents

jcarte

Earning My Ears
I was recently accepted into the DCP (WOOHOO!!:dancer:) and I'll be taking my car down for the program. It's about a 17 hr drive so my parents are going to go down with me. For people that have already gone through this, what is the check in process like? I heard something about we check in to get our room and then are bussed to another location to get work information. Will my parents be able to go straight to my room? I don't want to make them hang out all day, especially when I won't even be there.

Thanks so much!

Id also like to know this (same situation).

Also I read that at check in you can show up in comfortable clothes (like jeans) but for any kind of training you need to be in professional attire, so do you have a chance to change before being bussed off?

Congrats! You can wear whatever to check-in day, and I believe your parents can go to your apartment after you check in.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

You can wear whatever you want, I wore shorts and a tshirt at check in. After check in they bus you to the casting building, where you are given your work location and they make sure you are under the disney look guidelines. They do all your paper work and everything. You are there for about two hours. But I don't remember correctly but I think you are given your keys at check in - but from check in you don't see your parents again, your bussed directly from housing and won't see them again until your bussed back from casting to Vista. My mom went to walmart while I was at check in and bought all of my food. There is no way that your parents can go to your apartment without you because you have to sign them in at security. People can't just go into the complex without permission from you (aka you have to sign them in)!

There are 3 main events during your check-in day: Housing Check-In, On-boarding paperwork at casting, and housing orientation.

The first two happen pretty much in sequence and housing orientation is later in the evening. There was a brief 20-30 minutes between finishing checking into housing and being bussed off for onboarding. During that time when I went through check in, I gave my folks the keys and we went to the apt (I lived at vista so it was much easier to do in the time constraints). They helped move me in and did some shopping while I was at Casting.

The day of check in all vehicles are allowed through the gates if they are with a DCP participant who is checking in that day. (now if this has changed recently I am not sure but this is how it was for us) We drove down in two cars because we also made it a vacation but on check in day both my daughter's car and our car were allowed to park at the complex. While my daughter was bused over to casting, the parents in her apartment stayed behind and cleaned (sorry but it was pretty disgusting) and then some made runs to Walmart. We received a day pass so we were able to go in and out of the complex. All the girls in the apartment went to casting at the same time, but they had enough time to let us in their apartment and one parent stayed at the place to let the rest of us in after some Walmart runs.

By the time we were finished cleaning, the girls had come back from casting. After that we took her out to eat.

I'd like to make one tiny addition to the "you can wear whatever you want to check in" statement. You should have your shoulders covered for the housing photo. If you don't have them covered they may give you a generic shirt to wear for just the picture. Otherwise you can wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Also, for the men, make sure you are within Disney Look guidelines for facial hair. They will make you shave, they provide razors, but no shaving cream.

After check in they bus you to the casting building, where you are given your work location and they make sure you are under the disney look guidelines. !

Does this mean you have to change clothes if you show up in shorts and a t-shirt or do you mean they will make sure your haircut/grooming is acceptable?

Is there a place to change before going to casting?

Does this mean you have to change clothes if you show up in shorts and a t-shirt or do you mean they will make sure your haircut/grooming is acceptable?

Is there a place to change before going to casting?

This is only for your photo for housing, its a headshot. You can be in shorts/t-shirt throughout the day.

What do you suggest doing with luggage for check-in?
My dad is driving down with me (and I don't think I'll be keeping the car down there). We are going to stay in a hotel nearby the night before.
I know check-in is at Vista Way, but I'm hoping to live at Chatham.
Do you think I should leave my luggage at the hotel and get it with him later? Or leave it in the car? Or take it with me?
Are parents allowed to help you move in?

My DD is currently doing the DCP now. I went down with her and we took her car (from NY) I left her off early that morning. I did some shopping for her. We were in constant communication on the phone and I stayed near that area. I had n trouble driving in and out of the gate. They asked me for ID I told them why I was there and no problem at all. I hope you enjoy th program as much as my Daughter has. She extended once and is already thinking about applying for the PI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter