Check my math? A question on upgrades....

johnaalexis

Live Long and Prosper
Hey Y'all!

We are 32 days out (OMG IM FREAKING OUT!!!!) amd DH and I were talking about out ADRs tonight and I mentioned to him about the cost of one of the meals and he was surprised to find out that not alllllllll our meals are covered with our Dining Plan. I'm the planner and he's the driver / show up and tell me where to stand guy.

Long Story short.....

I am trying to figure up the cost if we upgrade from a QS Dining Plan to a Standard Dining Plan. We are staying at Pop Century during "Free Dining" and the DH and I have been talking about upgrading our DP simply because it seems their are several day where we want to eat at table service restaurants. We already have ADRs for them, but instead of having the QSDP already and paying for the Table Service meal out of pocket... we are trying to decide if it is cheaper to upgrade to the Table Service Dining Plan.

Currently, our Table Service ADR are

- Sanaa
- SciFi Dine In
- Tusker House
- Via Napoli
- Be Our Guest (Breakfast, so it's a QS but we ADRd)

We also want to try a few QS per reccomendations
- Flame Tree BBQ
- Tangerine Cafe
- Satuli Canteen
- Pecos Bills

So we are about split 50/50 and want to be cost effective (aka we are budgeting). We are staying Jul 13th - 19th, 7 days / 6 nights (did I count that right?!)

What I found was that the upgrade is roughly $23 per person/per night soo.... $23 x 6 is $138 so after tax... roughly $150 a person.

IS THIS RIGHT?! Help! Please!

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!

PS - Looking at menus and rough estimating what we would get and prices etc... I think on the TS ADRs we have now we will spend about $450 (again this is a ROUGH estimate). So mainly trying to figure out if the upgrade is cheaper than this price..

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

You should be choosing the dining plan that best suits your needs.
You want SEVERAL TS meals so yes absolutely upgrade from QSDP to regular DDP.
Only thing that has put a wrench in the plan is that you didn't decide this when making your ADR's so you now have 2 TS credits left with only 32 days to get ADR's for either 2 meals or 1 meal if you choose a signature restaurant.

You should be choosing the dining plan that best suits your needs.
You want SEVERAL TS meals so yes absolutely upgrade from QSDP to regular DDP.
Only thing that has put a wrench in the plan is that you didn't decide this when making your ADR's so you now have 2 TS credits left with only 32 days to get ADR's for either 2 meals or 1 meal if you choose a signature restaurant.

I had considered this, but we are super picky when it come to food, yes we want good experiences but if we have to eat at 5:50 or 7:40 instead of 6 or 7:30 we are okay with that. I have made several TS ADR this morning in prep for this because I can always cancel them.

PS - Looking at menus and rough estimating what we would get and prices etc... I think on the TS ADRs we have now we will spend about $450 (again this is a ROUGH estimate). So mainly trying to figure out if the upgrade is cheaper than this price..

Would like to see how you got the $450 for those 4 TS meals (your BoG is covered with your QS plan).

Tusker is the only fixed price, and that would be about $111 for the both of you. What are you ordering a la carte at the other three that adds us to $340?

Not saying you shouldn't upgrade, but we need to see the reason for the math.

Would like to see how you got the $450 for those 4 TS meals (your BoG is covered with your QS plan).

Tusker is the only fixed price, and that would be about $111 for the both of you. What are you ordering a la carte at the other three that adds us to $340?

Not saying you shouldn't upgrade, but we need to see the reason for the math.

* Forgot to mention @ Sana’a there will be 4 of us, DHs cousin and her Husband, my DH insists on paying for their food as well so I guessed about $30/per person maybe $35 with drinks + bread service which is $17 I believe so there about $160 right there... but it was a rough estimate. Also I know we will pay for theirs out of pocket but DH sees it as “pay for us now and them later” if that makes sense. And Hubs is a steak guy, if there steak that what he orders 9.5/10 and steak aren’t cheap lol so I took that in to account in my rough estimate. Also we do indulge in adult drinks so that’s $8-10 too. And that total includes tips, which I know are cover by the DP...

When I estimated I estimated on the upper end of the price spectrum. Id rather over estimate then under. That’s just me lol

Last edited:

Also, if you drink alcohol at a TS meal, that can help absorb some of the cost too.

Yes we do indulge, not every meal but on vacation we purchase a bit more than we do at home. So I agree that’ll help too, that’s part of the total I budgeted for in my rough estimate.

* Forgot to mention @ Sana’a there will be 4 of us, DHs cousin and her Husband, my DH insists on paying for their food as well so I guessed about $30/per person maybe $35 with drinks + bread service which is $17 I believe so there about $160 right there... but it was a rough estimate. Also I know we will pay for theirs out of pocket but DH sees it as “pay for us now and them later” if that makes sense. And Hubs is a steak guy, if there steak that what he orders 9.5/10 and steak aren’t cheap lol so I took that in to account in my rough estimate. Also we do indulge in adult drinks so that’s $8-10 too. And that total includes tips, which I know are cover by the DP...

When I estimated I estimated on the upper end of the price spectrum. Id rather over estimate then under. That’s just me lol

Tips are not covered by the DDP.

You can use credits to pay for all four of you at Sanaa if you have extra TS credits. The bread service is an appetizer and won't be covered by the plan.

First, tips are NOT covered by the DDP. Second, you could use your TS credits to "pay" for your relatives meal at Sanaa if you want to do so. It just means you would schedule one less TS for the two of you. Third, the bread service is NOT covered by the DDP, so that will be OOP even if you do upgrade the plan.

Still, with the meals you've chosen and the addition of alcohol into the mix, you should be able to easily "spend" the $300 or so it will cost you to upgrade. Just remember to budget in some money for the tips too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter