Checking (not gate checking) a double stroller - advice??

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
We own a citi mini GT double stroller and love it, it works well for our two kids ages 2 and 5. However, my DH HATES dealing with it in the airport (taking it through security, folding it at the gate, carrying everything else, etc) As a result we only took ours to WDW once, but we have rented the same stroller 3x at Disney. I see his point about lugging the stroller, it is a pain, but it seems crazy to me that we pay ~$140 each trip to rent a stroller we already own. So for out next trip I suggested that we take the stroller but actually check it, instead of gate checking it. That way DME will pick it up and deliver it right to our room, and the reverse will happen when we use RAC at check out. This way, if we do curbside check in at the airport we only have to lug the stroller to the car and curbside at the airport, and avoid having it in the airport at all. My only concern is the risk of damage to it. we don't have the special carrying case, I would just be putting a luggage strap around it (or maybe 2) and letting them check it. Thoughts? Has anyone done this? I don't want the stroller ruined, but there is no way my DH will gate check it. I guess I could look into renting again, it won't break us, but it's just annoying.

We own a citi mini GT double stroller and love it, it works well for our two kids ages 2 and 5. However, my DH HATES dealing with it in the airport (taking it through security, folding it at the gate, carrying everything else, etc) As a result we only took ours to WDW once, but we have rented the same stroller 3x at Disney. I see his point about lugging the stroller, it is a pain, but it seems crazy to me that we pay ~$140 each trip to rent a stroller we already own. So for out next trip I suggested that we take the stroller but actually check it, instead of gate checking it. That way DME will pick it up and deliver it right to our room, and the reverse will happen when we use RAC at check out. This way, if we do curbside check in at the airport we only have to lug the stroller to the car and curbside at the airport, and avoid having it in the airport at all. My only concern is the risk of damage to it. we don't have the special carrying case, I would just be putting a luggage strap around it (or maybe 2) and letting them check it. Thoughts? Has anyone done this? I don't want the stroller ruined, but there is no way my DH will gate check it. I guess I could look into renting again, it won't break us, but it's just annoying.

I'd highly recommend a travel case! You can buy the citi mini GT double case for much cheaper (quick search shows about $65) than the cost to hire the stroller at Orlando. I've had several strollers broken by airlines when not bagged but no damage since we bought a travel bag...

We've gate checked and regular checked our Joovy Caboose. No special case just the clear plastic bag for checking it and we had no trouble. The only thing was when we arrived at SNA we could not find the stroller. I went to report it missing and learned about the oversized baggage area. That shouldn't be a problem for you using DME though. We've actually had more damage/issues gate checking the stroller. This time i decided to rent a stroller though so the 3yo and 1yo can both recline for stroller naps ;) (fingers crossed)

We always regular check our double stroller when we fly and I've never put it in a bag. This is just us, but we don't let DME handle it. We leave the tag off, claim it at baggage claim, then have them put it on the bus when we board. I couldn't be without my stroller that first day.

A dear friend gate checked not check it at the ticket counter. Hers was damaged. Just for the FYI if checked through the airline would repair replace if damaged, if gate check as her new $$$ stroller was, she had to use her travel insurance to cover it. So it is best to send it straight through. Get the best bag you can to secure it.

After damaged strollers we invested in a case for our higher end strollers and it's been worth every penny. Maybe you can find a second hand one in your area?

OP here, just to give those of you who answered my question an update - and thanks for the replies! I ended up buying the case on amazon for $65, it should come tomorrow. We figured that way we save the rental for at least 2 trips, August and December, but have a little protection when we check it. Then if we go again and still want the double we'll save even more, and I don't see us completely getting rid of it for my oldest until he's pushing 7 - he can be a tad lazy! :D I faintly remember deciding not to buy the carrier back 2 yrs ago when we bought the stroller, but I think it was because we never used magical express then and would have had to carry it through the airport and get it in the rental car. I wish we had re-thought the carrier earlier, I think we used ME on at least one of the trips we rented a stroller for, but oh well. We had the ease of the rental just showing up at the hotel then, which was nice. SO thanks again, and even though we decided I welcome all opinions. After all, Amazon does have free returns and I can be very undecided!!!:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter