Cheerleader competitions impact on park crowds

Megan138

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I was looking to get back to Disney in late April/early May of 2019. We usually go a week earlier but with Easter being late I think this timing will be better. However, I saw on a crowd calendar that there are cheering competitions that week and wanted to get feedback from anyone who has been there during that time how much more crowded the parks are.

I appreciate any information! Thanks.

I've gone late April/early May for the past two years (2017 and 2018) and the parks didn't feel crowded at all. We definitely saw cheerleaders around and knew there were competitions happening, but I don't think it impacted the crowds at all. Definitely a great week to go! :)

I’ve been there several times when cheer/dance competitions were happening. My experience was that the weekend competitions happen during the morning hours and the winners then continue competing in the afternoon. I met some competitors and their guardians in line for the Safari one evening and they were super nice. The guardian/mother (she was supervising a few kids) said they only get a few hours in the parks each day after a day of competition. Some families extend the trip a day or two. The extra people in the parks did not seem to make a big impact for me since I don’t stay late at the parks.

Thanks so much for the information! I can't wait to go back and this was the main question I had regarding the timing. I'm glad you both had good experiences in the past.

Little impact in the Parks.

MUCH impact at their Resorts!lol:)

15219770736_1b0c04ae4d_c.jpg

Hi all! I was looking to get back to Disney in late April/early May of 2019. We usually go a week earlier but with Easter being late I think this timing will be better. However, I saw on a crowd calendar that there are cheering competitions that week and wanted to get feedback from anyone who has been there during that time how much more crowded the parks are.

I appreciate any information! Thanks.
I go this time for the last 4 years for my birthday they have been very very bad at the resorts ( the value) at the parks they are ok you have to watch out for them doing stunts( MK) and they are told not to do stunts that if they do they could be disqualified from the cheer competition

My daughter cheered with Pop Warner - pre-teen to early teen. Pop Warner has strict rules around a curfew, I think it's 10pm with a bed check. A lot of the cheer teams stay at the moderate resorts, a lot of the football teams stay at All Star Sports. My experience is the cheer teams require one adult chaperone per cheerleader, I don't know about the football teams, but based on what I've heard that wasn't the case. We heard many horror stories about unsupervised football players at the value resorts but never experienced anything at the moderates. The teams tend to arrive a couple of days ahead of the competition, practice in the mornings and attend all of the cheer competitions prior to their own (older teams attend the younger sessions.) We never made it to the parks before 2-3pm. Many of the competitors left the day following their competition - we were always slotted the first week of December and generally stayed through the weekend following.

Pop Warner cheer girls (and boys) are generally very excited to be at Disney - like every other kid - and they get to visit with their friends and teammates. You can hear them in the parks chanting/cheering but they are way, way less obnoxious than some tour groups. You'll usually be able to point them out by their practice shirts and bows. I never experienced any obnoxious park behavior from cheerleaders in the 4 years we attended - but I can't say that about all park guests.

Last edited:
My daughter cheered with Pop Warner - pre-teen to early teen. Pop Warner has strict rules around a curfew, I think it's 10pm with a bed check. A lot of the cheer teams stay at the moderate resorts, a lot of the football teams stay at All Star Sports. My experience is the cheer teams require one adult chaperone per cheerleader, I don't know about the football teams, but based on what I've heard that wasn't the case. We heard many horror stories about unsupervised football players at the value resorts but never experienced anything at the moderates. The teams tend to arrive a couple of days ahead of the competition, practice in the mornings and attend all of the cheer competitions prior to their own (older teams attend the younger sessions.) We never made it to the parks before 2-3pm. Many of the competitors left the day following their competition - we were always slotted the first week of December and generally stayed through the weekend following.

Pop Warner cheer girls (and boys) are generally very excited to be at Disney - like every other kid - and they get to visit with their friends and teammates. You can hear them in the parks chanting/cheering but they are way, way less obnoxious than some tour groups. You'll usually be able to point them out by their practice shirts and bows. I never experienced any obnoxious park behavior from cheerleaders in the 4 years we attended - but I can't say that about all park guests.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I can't fault the kids for being excited to be in Disney with their friends - I would have loved that when I was younger too! I don't mind chants at the park - that will be part of the experience. We will be staying at the Polynesian so I'm not as concerned with the resorts. It seems from everyone's response the impact at the parks is minimal. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter