Cheerleaders - oh no!

Wendy Darling CA

Mouseketeer
We just found out that we will be arriving the same weekend as the World Cheer Competetion. I am told that they are staying at the All Stars and CBR (luckily we are at CSR). DH is freaking a little at the thought of hoards of cheering teens on buses and in parks. Is it realy that bad?? Don't they spend most of their time at the competions?? Also - Saturday night we planned to go to Epcot, but it appears there is a competition there that night....should we avoid?? Also a private party at DHS on Sunday - but they are open until 8:30 - so is it after that? Advice, please...

I have a friend on Facebook who had a DD in one of those competitions a few weeks ago. I think they went for a 3-day weekend. They went to MK one day of the 3 days they were there, and the rest of the time they competed in the competition, which was held at the Wide World of Sports complex. When they were at MK, they just toured like anyone else, and did nothing cheer-related. When they were at WWoS, they were obviously well away from anyone at the parks. Once the competition was over, they drove home, as did most of the other groups as well, apparently.

I think the impact on other tourists at WDW, even at the All-Stars resort at which they stayed, was minimal to non-existent. I can't predict what other or future events would be like; just relating what I know of a previous one.

We've been at WDW during such competitions several times, once at the Swan where a flock of them stayed. We experienced no negative impact, in fact Wifey was amused by the younger ones heading out to their event in the morning in their uniforms, practically the only time we saw them. She called them 'Molecules', being small and energetic. I wouldn't sweat it.

Bill From PA

When are you going? We went in February and there were lots of cheering competitions but they never seemed to affect our plans.

Since none of them are staying at your resort, then you shouldn't be impacted either there or on the resort buses. The competition venues are at WWOS and the World Showplace Pavilion at Epcot. So you may see them in and around Epcot on those days, but I would imagine that most of the competitors will be inside the venues for most of the day.

I'm not sure about DHS- normally a park will close early for something like that, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

I have no idea how many of them will arrive before or stay after the event. I would imagine that some families would take the opportunity to extend their stay. I'm just glad that we aren't at the same resort this time. We had that pleasure once, and I don't care to repeat it.

If the Cheer Comp is the Saturday and Sunday, is it likely that they'll hang around into the following week. I'm going to WDW on May 1st and I'd LOVE to avoid the cheerleaders. There was a ton of them there earlier this month and while I didn't notice a difference in the parks, my resort (ASMu) and it's buses were packed with them

Cheerleading and Dance Worlds. April 27 and 28
We were in WDW for this event in 2011. There wasn't much of an impact at Epcot. We saw them walking around the World Showcase. But they didn't seem to make any impact on crowd levels at Epcot.

The thing that did impact us, though, was that our ME stopped at the CBR to pick them up on our way to the airport. We were staying at the BC and the stop at CBR must have been at least 45 minutes long.

I was at All Star Music when they were there a few years ago and didn't find them annoying at all. They were practicing their cheers a few times in the evenings which may have been annoying if I'd had young children trying to get to sleep, but by the time I went to bed myself they were quiet.

I didn't see them at all at the parks and the buses were already packed so I didn't see an impact there either.

I wouldn't worry about it.

We were at all star sports last month during the national cheer competition . ( which was the host hotel) I asked to be put in a quiet location and was upgraded to a preferred room in surfs up - it was nice and quiet. As for the parks - I saw a few groups , but nothing major and it never effected the lines or rides . I was worried for nothing and we had a great time !

We found the cheerleaders to be well-behaved and friendly. Now, we did notice that some of the chaperones weren't quite as nice!

I am a former cheerleader that competed in Disney. I remember being told to be respectful to others and we did plan a longer trip so we were in the parks a lot. We also practiced a lot during the day so you should be fine at parks during the day. I won't lie, we did have HUGE dinning ressies for Chef Mickey, Ohana and Rainforst so be aware of large groups there. We might be loud and full of energy but I hope WELL BEHAVED!

You might see some cool stunts at MK or Epcot too!

Enjoy!

First of all, this competition is for senior level cheerleaders and dance teams. These are All-Star cheerleaders and they don't cheer at all. So you won't have the doing cheers on the buses or anything like that. When they practice they don't have cheers in their routine, there is normally a small chant during their routine. So you won't hear cheering at night and they are usually respectful during the evening hours.

Kinda OT, but be thankful you won't be there when the marching bands go. I met my friends in Universal and they were swearing and being really inappropriate. I thought they would have some self control considering they would be around children, but I thought wrong. I heard that they were the same way in MK. The "funniest" story, according to them, was when they were in line for Space Mountain, using some words you should never hear in Disney, and a couple came up to them saying that they say that phrase all the time. I was really disappointed. Disney and Universal are the only times I can seem to get away from all this non Disney words. I wished I could have been in Disney with them so I could have told them to stop. However, I feel like it would have backfired just as it did in Universal. I've been in a room full of cheerleaders (Haunted Mansion) and they were so respectful. The only time they screamed was when one of the cast members scared them.

It will be fine 2 years ago were staying at CBR while the Worlds Cheer Dance Competition was going on never saw a cheerleader once. Saw at few at Epcot but they were in very small groups.

My Mom was a cheering coach who brought her team to these competitions a bunch of times over the years, and as a guy I thought it was great because all day while the teams were at the WWS I could tour around the parks.

I could see the drawbacks of all the girls at the resort, crowding the pools and buses and being loud, but for the most part the chaperones do a good job minimizing the girls impact on the rest of the resort, and they only go to the parks on "off" days. If you don't stay in the same resort they do, I bet you'd barely even know they were there.

There was a bunch of dance troops staying at POFQ at the same time as us, they had big group meetings/breakfast in food court but they were quiet and did not bother. Now when we ran into groups in MK, at the same time you're about to get in line for a ride or a fastpass machine that's a problemhttp://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/smile.gif When I saw them going in the direction I was going, I'd hurry up and get there first,haha!

We just found out that we will be arriving the same weekend as the World Cheer Competetion. I am told that they are staying at the All Stars and CBR (luckily we are at CSR). DH is freaking a little at the thought of hoards of cheering teens on buses and in parks. Is it realy that bad?? Don't they spend most of their time at the competions?? Also - Saturday night we planned to go to Epcot, but it appears there is a competition there that night....should we avoid?? Also a private party at DHS on Sunday - but they are open until 8:30 - so is it after that? Advice, please...

They are noisy, but they tend to be positive noisy. I mean, it's tween and teen girl excited squealing, not cussing and throw downs in the parking lot. :)

We were just there a couple of weeks ago during some type of cheer competition (Nationals, I think?). It didn't affect us much, except that we were at DHS the day they competed there. They were everywhere, but I didn't see any of them being disrespectful or disruptive. We did have to stop and let a group or two or three of the smaller ones by- they were all holding hands, so it made for quite a line. No big deal. They did compete where Indiana Jones usually is, so we didn't get to see that this trip. Six trips, and I still haven't seen it! In years past, I was either at the hotel with a sick kid, or we didn't get to it, so I was looking forward to it this trip. Oh well, maybe next year. :)

You are talking about the Cheer and Dance WORLDS.

http://www.usasf.net/worlds/

The minimum age to be on a Worlds level cheerleading team is 12. International Open teams are more college age. This is an international event therefore there will be teams from all over the world. (Other smaller competition has really just close family and friends as spectators) It is the LARGEST cheer and dance event at Disney. For 2013, the competitions are on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (Monday new this year). Not every team moves forward past Saturday. This event also brings in spectators from all over the world (like the Superbowl) who come to watch these teams. Maybe there will be less spectators this year because the event has raised the prices and many are unhappy with that. If you read through the history on disboards you will see last year this event oversold and people couldn't even get into the venue and had to watch on the field on a jumbotron.

The registration packet gives you the dates, resorts, and the packages being offered (5 day is the largest, but some may stay longer).
http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM2//Worlds/2013/Docs/Worlds_2013_Cheer_Packet.pdf

The weekend after Worlds is a new competition called The Summit and will be the younger ages.
http://www.varsityallstar.com/thesummit

Here is a youtube video of what those staying at the same resort will wake up and see. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMfUqHkuVrw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJRAZf3iAT8

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter