Cheese

DisneYE

DIS Veteran
In Rome and about to embark the DCL dream
There's some really good cheese here so was Wondering if I can bring a couple of cheese containers/packages.
These are cheese in closed containers and/or those hard shrink plastic types.
Would throw them in the SR fridge and retrieve them when the cruise is over to bring them home with me- they have long expiry dates, like 2 months.

Are they allowed onboard?
Never needed to take any food onboard so I've no idea if it's possible.

TIA

I know I saw cheese (and ham) in some of the Med ports (like - in the actual port building you go through when getting on/off the ship). I didn't buy any, nor did I ask about it, but I did remember hoping they'd let you take it on the ship if they were selling it last thing before you board!! I did buy custard tarts in Lisbon in the port building and had no issues taking them on - they were wrapped like in plastic wrap.

However, the fridges don't get that cold so that might be an issue.

I brought 5lbs of cheese onboard last year while we were in Messina. As long as it is vacuum sealed which does not require refrigeration you will be good to go! Enjoy! Italy has the BEST cheese!

Second the comment about vacuum sealed cheese. When I was in Barcelona I was at a little market and they all sold cheese like that (catering to the tourists who would need to get it home without refrigeration).

It's not DCL, but when I was on the NCL Prima in Europe they said that you could bring on cheese if it was vacuum sealed.

I know of a case where a US Citizen bought a ham sandwich at the Madrid airport and then boarded a flight to the USA. He forgot all about the ham sandwich in his carry-on luggage until found by US Customs which fined him $300.00. I bet the US Customs dog got a special treat!

-Paul

I did it on all my European ports on my transatlantic cruise. Never thought about asking to bring it along. It went through the scanner when I boarded again and no one said anything.

I did eat all the cheese before arriving in New York 😜

Last edited:
Even if you get it on the boat, make sure you can bring it home. I was the Madison, WI airport someone had a ton of cheese taken and they were flying domestic. I was really surprised.

Thanks for all the replies
I purchased a couple of vacuum packed parmigiano and pecorino and will report back if they're allowed in. If not, I wasted 25 euros, not the end of the world.
I do plan on eating some onboard if I can sneak them in. A plate of tomato slices + cheese + a glass of white wine while sitting on the balcony= heaven.

Thanks for all the replies
I purchased a couple of vacuum packed parmigiano and pecorino and will report back if they're allowed in. If not, I wasted 25 euros, not the end of the world.
I do plan on eating some onboard if I can sneak them in. A plate of tomato slices + cheese + a glass of white wine while sitting on the balcony= heaven.
If you open it, finish it. Customs doesn't like opened things very much.

Keep in mind once you open them (un-vacuum seal them) they will require refrigeration (so it makes them harder to transport).

I know of a case where a US Citizen bought a ham sandwich at the Madrid airport and then boarded a flight to the USA. He forgot all about the ham sandwich in his carry-on luggage until found by US Customs which fined him $300.00. I bet the US Customs dog got a special treat!

-Paul
Yeah, I'd be less concerned about getting a food item on the ship, that about getting it back into the U.S. Packaging isn't the issue, the contents, and if they meet U.S. Health Code would be the issue.

Actually, while you might sneak it in, it is illegal to bring any meat or dairy product into the U.S.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Can-I-bring-food-into-the-United-States

Yeah, I'd be less concerned about getting a food item on the ship, that about getting it back into the U.S. Packaging isn't the issue, the contents, and if they meet U.S. Health Code would be the issue.

Actually, while you might sneak it in, it is illegal to bring any meat or dairy product into the U.S.

I definitely brought cheese back from Catalonia last year with no issue. I declared it on my customs form, and when the CBP officer asked if I was bringing in any food I replied with "cheese" and he waived me through with no hesitation.

The CBP website indicates cheese is okay (as long as it contains no meat): https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Arti...eese that does,Juices - Commercially packaged

That's not right. From the CBP: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3619?language=en_US

"Cheese - Solid cheese that does not contain meat are admissible."

But they're not going to like an opened cheese since they can't verify that it's what it says on the label. That's true for just about anything that's been opened.

That's not right. From the CBP: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3619?language=en_US

"Cheese - Solid cheese that does not contain meat are admissible."

But they're not going to like an opened cheese since they can't verify that it's what it says on the label. That's true for just about anything that's been opened.
@RedHead0186
Well, in the link I posted from USDA, at least they pointed out you may get different opinions from different government agencies. Left hand, meet the right hand. CBP apparently does not enforce the USDA milk product ban.

In Rome and about to embark the DCL dream
There's some really good cheese here so was Wondering if I can bring a couple of cheese containers/packages.
These are cheese in closed containers and/or those hard shrink plastic types.
Would throw them in the SR fridge and retrieve them when the cruise is over to bring them home with me- they have long expiry dates, like 2 months.

Are they allowed onboard?
Never needed to take any food onboard so I've no idea if it's possible.

TIA
Joining you tomorrow. We ate a lot of cheese while in Rome, but not bringing any with us.

I definitely don't need to be reading this. I love cheese and don't need to be tempted to bring any home from Italy, especially since we will be visiting Emilia Romagna. Although, I can get really high quality parmesan at home. I might pick up some balsamico though and limoncello from Naples.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter