Chef Mickey going to be 2 cr?

I really can't imagine all buffets going to 2 credits. The 3 that are listed are bad enough but if H&V goes up in price that is just ridiculous. If this does happen I'm thinking Disney is trying to get families to buy the Deluxe plan. I'm not buying into it but you know plenty of families will fall for it so their kids can meet characters. Disney in turn serves crappy food at premium prices. Well TH is good but not that good.

I just hope they honor previous reservations. For someone who paid for dining plan in advance, made their reservations and plans under 1 set of rules to suddenly show up and have the value of what they bought cut in half is going to be a tough pill to swallow for both guests and the CMs who have to deal with the anger.

I just hope they honor previous reservations. For someone who paid for dining plan in advance, made their reservations and plans under 1 set of rules to suddenly show up and have the value of what they bought cut in half is going to be a tough pill to swallow for both guests and the CMs who have to deal with the anger.
For real!

With the prices going through the roof, construction in the parks and crazy meal costs, we keep pushing our next trip further and further out. At this point, we are looking more towards the end of 2018.

I hear ya! We are going in early January, but seriously wonder about when we might go back after that trip. Between all the cutbacks and now the ridiculous increases in some of the restaurant's prices, even I'm (a self-confessed Disney nut) stating to question the value in a trip to WDW. Stupid high airfare isn't helping either, but that's another topic.

I just can't imagine they'll up the credits before the end of the year. Nowhere on the promotional materials does it say that the credits are subject to change...only the locations.

I just can't imagine they'll up the credits before the end of the year. Nowhere on the promotional materials does it say that the credits are subject to change...only the locations.
Apparently they did it for le cellier mid year. However I think if you are selling the DDP to people and the best value is to use it for character meals and you take their money months in advance of their trip and they are getting up at 6am 190 days before their trip to book the most coveted character meals and then they show up and realize they are only getting half of what they thought they were (ie all of those character meals cost 2 credits) there is going to be a major revolt. Can you imagine having to give up half of your meals or pay half of them OOP when you thought you paid already way in advance? that is way too major a shift in the program to unleash on people who have paid so far in advance and reserved so far in advance. They are going to have to grandfather in or they are going to have a LOT of very pissed off guests. Maybe effective in october they will raise the cash prices on at least the more popular character buffets and then the corresponding DDP price increase will be announced effective for January 2017, or maybe even for the holidays in 2016 (as people were reporting those 3 character meals were showing as 2TS for lunch and dinner for Thanksgiving). You will still have people who get caught in the rules change, but with the information "leaked" 6 months in advance that gives people time to readjust.

They could probably even get away with changing just those 3 but every buffet in the system? $60 for dinner at trail's end when it is less than half that now? That would be insane. I don't think it's a mistake that the ones they are thinking of changing are some of the most popular ones that are already at a premium over the others.

Last edited:
This Sept. will be our first trip to WDW in 6 years, it might be our last for awhile, too. One thing I have liked better about WDW than DL (which is closer and easier to get to for us) is the dining, specifically the character dining. DL has some great restaurants, and some great character meals- but the variety at WDW can't be beat. It is one of the highlights of dining for us, especially with young children. Over the years we have done countless character meals. We are not eating there for the amazing food. I just can't imagine paying 2 credits for a character meal. Especially Chef Mickey's! Some of the worst food we have had! I could maybe see Akershus, especially if they brought A&E over to meet there- it is similar (kind of?) to CRT. Anyway- it definitely makes the dining plan a terrible value- even if you are getting it free (because of paying rack rate for rooms and upgrades like PH that you might not get otherwise). I also can't imagine paying $60 per person out of pocket with my family of 6 (4 adults) to meet any of the characters. I know people will pay it, though, and apparently so does Disney.

Apparently they did it for le cellier mid year.

Interesting...the DDP pdf I saw online must have been updated accordingly, as it had Le Cellier listed as a 2 TS credit.

Maybe effective in october they will raise the cash prices on at least the more popular character buffets and then the corresponding DDP price increase will be announced effective for January 2017, or maybe even for the holidays in 2016 (as people were reporting those 3 character meals were showing as 2TS for lunch and dinner for Thanksgiving).

This is what I'm thinking, although I still believe they won't increase the TS credits even at the holidays - that would make them real Scrooges!

Interesting...the DDP pdf I saw online must have been updated accordingly, as it had Le Cellier listed as a 2 TS credit.

This is what I'm thinking, although I still believe they won't increase the TS credits even at the holidays - that would make them real Scrooges!
oh back in 2011 or 2012 or something - it has been 2ts for a while.

Yes, Le Cellier dinner went to 2TS credits iearly in 2011. Lunch went to 2TS credits either on 1/1/12 or 1/1/13, I can't remember which.

Most likely 2013. I booked Le Cellier in the summer of 2012 to have a delicious lunch at the better price point. My family showed up for lunch mid-January 2013 and opened the menu to see dinner prices. Three grandparents on fixed incomes, 2 elementary aged kids and us. We left and I was not happy. Especially since I could've easily booked Akershus or anything else 180 prior. Now we were very hungry and had to scramble to find something else.

That experience worries me about what will happen with all the ADRs I just made for our November trip. At least now I know to check theses boards many times before then so I can be prepared.

Either way, I don't do any TS meals at Disney any more really. It's not worth it; my DD and I are the ones that go most often, and we prefer to play it by ear and do CS meals anyway.

Years ago, we did Tusker House and it was fine. We're not big eaters, though (DH and DS can definitely eat more than we can, but rarely join us). It's so not worth it for us to pay for a buffet when we'll eat so little! Plus, I'd rather have my food brought to me if I'm paying what they charge!

I'm so not into characters; none in my family ever was. We enjoy Disney for other things, but not really the characters.

Sorry but 2 credits even for chef mickeys dinner or $60 per person is outrageous. Who would pay that much for ok food when you could pay 2 credits for a signature restaurant like California Grill or Narcoosees? Chef Mickeys doesn't compare in food quality and you could meet the characters for free in the parks.

Most likely 2013. I booked Le Cellier in the summer of 2012 to have a delicious lunch at the better price point. My family showed up for lunch mid-January 2013 and opened the menu to see dinner prices. Three grandparents on fixed incomes, 2 elementary aged kids and us. We left and I was not happy. Especially since I could've easily booked Akershus or anything else 180 prior. Now we were very hungry and had to scramble to find something else.

That experience worries me about what will happen with all the ADRs I just made for our November trip. At least now I know to check theses boards many times before then so I can be prepared.

Yes, it was 1/1/13. Even so, and I'm sure your family wasn't the only ones to not notice, Disney did have it printed in the 2013 dining plan pamphlet ahead of time that it was a 2 credit Signature meal at lunch as well for that year.

So, in both cases with Le Cellier, it was "advertised" in the dining plan pamphlet before the year it began. It wouldn't be unheard of, I guess, but it just doesn't seem like Disney would do this in the middle of a year without prior warning. For 2017, however.....all bets are off.

Sorry but 2 credits even for chef mickeys dinner or $60 per person is outrageous. Who would pay that much for ok food when you could pay 2 credits for a signature restaurant like California Grill or Narcoosees? Chef Mickeys doesn't compare in food quality and you could meet the characters for free in the parks.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pay that either. However, the price for Chef Mickey dinner right now is $51, and people are paying it, so $60 is not that big of jump for CM. Tusker, on the other hand, is $44, and that is a huge increase.

We are planning our first trip in 7 years. I am in disbelief of the cost for everything. I'm glad we went as often as we did when the kids were little. We have never been "rich" by any means but could always have a great trip on a fair budget. I fear for all the working class families who will never get a chance to experience the magic. I understand it's a business, but because it's marketed towards families, it seems a shame that only wealthy families will be able to go now :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter