Chef Mickey's

kmdrago1783

Mouseketeer
Is it really that bad? We went a few years ago and I don't remember it being terrible but have seen awful reviews. We are planning a trip in about a year and are staying at the Contemporary and want to do a character breakfast with Mickey and his friends. It would be easy to book Chef Mickey's but we will do Tusker House if not.

We've done it once and thought it wasn't terrible. It's just basic breakfast buffet food. We had a 7:05 or 7:15am ADR, so we were there when the food was fresh, and we were seated near where the characters enter the dining room, so we saw them all fairly quickly. Under those conditions, I'd book it again. In fact, I have booked it again for our August trip during one of the days we are staying at CR. DS(4.5) requested it.

We almost cancelled our chef Mickey adr based on reviews. When we went we found the food was pretty good considering it was a Disney buffet. Characters were good and so was service. Give it a try! Also, with breakfast it is pretty hard to screw up that food.

it isn't, is just overpriced, food is not worth the price and that's what make people's opinion on how bad it is, they are going in with that price and wanting to get their money's worth expecting over the top food, you are paying for a unique character interaction the fabulous five and get golden corral quality food ( I like golden corral), that's why breakfast it might be more appealing, is cheaper and you already know what kind of foods will they serve.
Chef Mickey is definitely a restaurant where the characters are the reason to visit not the food

I've gathered a few opinions on Chef Mickey's from all the venting and griping on these boards! That is okay - I like to find out what others are thinking, because I'm the weirdo and I never think like anyone else!

I'm guessing at least 80% of the negativity comes from the price. From what I recall, if you're not on Dining Plan, you pay before you get into the buffet? Which sets you right up for thinking about that money and that food. Too bad that Disney serves insane amounts of people a day so they do have to have a significant profit margin, which means using lots of commercial-sized products. Which means that that gravy comes out of packets and not hand-crafted from the meat being rendered in the kitchen... ;) So you're paying a crazy price for what's basically Cracker Barrel food. *IF* Cracker Barrel had a buffet! *shudders at that crazy idea*

And it's pretty dark in there. I felt it was dark anyway! I was thinking, this is the PERFECT breakfast joint to have a raging hangover in.... not the typically cheery family diner greasy spoons that one usually has to survive through. Now... if it wasn't full of SCREAMING children - if you can't handle that cafeteria din then nothing will help you to like this place.

I can easily see how the layout of the restaurant could lend itself to total chaos with full tables, children running wild, etc. but I think this helps Character Photos not have everyone and their gaping mouths inserting food in your background.

I dislike buffets that have upper levels and you have to navigate stairs! But... I understand the unique theming of the Contemporary so in this instance, it's almost not worth the mention at all.

And yes, in my experience, the servers do really give off the vibe that they want to be somewhere else. I think this is due to the popularity - AKA high table turnover and insanity. We waited for a coffee refill in the timeframe it took us to eat our plateful... which is one of my pet peeves about going out for breakfast. My DH's is "no benedict on the menu", mine is coffee. I NEED at least a liter of coffee before I am functional. And they so rarely want to leave the coffee carafe at my table - which I totally get, I'm NOT complaining about that. Just.... my poor server, having to refill my mug every 10 minutes! Bigger cup! I really would love one of the old Refill Resort mugs that's like a 32 oz jug the size of your head....

I'm usually the odd one here that really liked our Chef Mickey Breakfast. We had great character interaction, the food was good, plentiful and fresh, even at 10am, and there was a nice variety. The refill service for drinks was a little slow, but dirty plates never sat if one of us got up to get something else.

We'd be going back again next trip, but we're doing Bon Voyage instead.

We've done the breakfast and really enjoyed it. Food was good and fresh..........it was a 7am resi :) We have a lunch planned for our Nov 2017 trip. I'm looking forward to it. I appreciate it is expensive but aren't all meals in WDW :) Anytime I can hang with the Fab 5.............in one place...........is a good time.

Doug :goofy:

We have done Chef Mickey's several times. Both times on the dining plan. Both times food was actually pretty good. Definitely worth it for character experiences, but we find it to be extremely noisy and chaotic. Be ready to hear lots of kids yelling and seeing guests scurrying around to get back to their table to greet characters who are constantly moving around the dining areas. It's fun, but a bit too stressful.

You get to meet the Fab Five in your own hotel! Why look further?!

If the point is to meet characters, go to CM. If I wanted better food, or the characters in interesting outfits (some people are into that), I'd go to Tusker. But you get the 5 classic characters right there where you woke up that morning. Personally, I can eat $40 in lox (which is available at CM, at least last time I went), and they constantly cook Mickey Waffles right in front of you so DS is happy. So I am fine with the food. I haven't tried dinner. I figure I can eat at far better restaurants at home, but I can't get Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy or Pluto to hug my kid anywhere else. Don't tell Disney but they could serve saltines and water and we'd still go to character meals: it beats waiting in lines at the parks for meet/greets.

Is it really that bad? We went a few years ago and I don't remember it being terrible but have seen awful reviews. We are planning a trip in about a year and are staying at the Contemporary and want to do a character breakfast with Mickey and his friends. It would be easy to book Chef Mickey's but we will do Tusker House if not.
Chef Mickey's is your best choice for a Fab Five character breakfast if staying at CR. Why go all the way to Tusker House? That would take an extra hour. CM is a breakfast buffet with lots of choices. Not gourmet food but it's fine. The Mickey waffles are great there, just like everywhere else. All of the Fab Five will be there- this is the only character restaurant where you'll meet all five. It's not a quiet, subdued restaurant, with all the kids that go, but it's not excessively loud, either. I recommend it for families who want a character breakfast, especially if staying at CR.

Last edited:
We've gone twice and will definitely go again. Food is decent to good for a buffet. Characters are great and we have so many amazing pictures.

We go to Chef Mickeys every trip! One of our favorite character meals. We have never had a bad experience there. Always good food, good service, and great character interaction. Go, and have fun! It's loud and crazy, but a great time!!

I didn't listen. I thought how bad can it be? I love crystal palace it can't be any worse then that. It was. If you want to go for the experience and characters go for breakfast. We will never go back.

If you are staying at the Contemporary, I would definitely try it. We went once, and although the food quality wasn't the best buffet we've had on property, the character interaction was good, and the server was great. Also, I'm a big proponent of eating breakfast at the resort you're staying at. I would be super hangry if I didn't eat my breakfast until after a 20-30 min bus ride (plus the wait), a park entrance and a 10 minute walk to Tusker House!! Besides, if you hate it then you too get to go on the DISboards and complain about how it was the worst experience of your lifetime!

We had been for breakfast in 2009 and enjoyed it but I was a little nervous to return for dinner based on the reviews comparing it to Golden Corral . We ended up going and I am so glad we did, great meal and GREAT character interactions. It was my youngest daughter's first experience with characters and they were patient and kind, she went from apprehensive to a Disney addict by the end of the meal.

We did brunch a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. Not as good as some of the other places we ate, but not terrible. We were on the dining plan so the price wasn't an issue, but I think out of pocket all character buffets are shockingly overpriced. I would definitely do brunch there again though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter