• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chefs de France...unreliable?

Betsyp

DIS Veteran
I’ve seen some negative reviews here, and now I’m wondering if I should switch it up for something else or just give it a try myself. My nephew, who works at WDW, loves it...but I’ve no idea if we have the same taste in food.

Does anyone here like Chefs?

thanks

We had a bad experience last October. Three steaks were a poor cut and the shrimp my DIL ordered was not edible. Service was unprofessional with wait staff calling loudly to each other. It is off our list.

We ate there for the first time in May. We had a terrible meal. My husband's steak was burned and we had to send it back. The waitress never even asked us if the new steak was ok. She never refilled our drinks. We have never sent a meal back at Disney. The food has to be pretty bad for that to happen. We will not be going back.

We don’t have a ton of experience but went 6 times over the last decade. The last 2 weren’t as good as prior (Last fall and early 2019). We have many other places to try before going back.

And what is up with those bathrooms?! Last time I used them late 2019 they were absolutely decrepit. We were at Mr Paul upstairs and their restroom was out of order, so we had to go downstairs. One of those stalls were out of order, and there’s only 2 or 3 stalls. So both restaurants using the 1 or 2 working stalls. Ok fine, there wasn’t a line backed up. But omg it looked like that ladies restroom was built in 1991 and hadn’t been updated or cleaned much since. Dingy grungy broken and surprising.

Sheesh..thanks! Too bad, I love French food

Any suggestions for a replacement ? San Angel Inn is hopeless, I think. We’ll be at MK that day, but we don’t mind hopping - we were going to, anyway?

Maybe an underrated restaurant at Epcot?

When we first tried Chefs years ago the food was delicious, and it had a separate lunch and dinner menu. The last two times we ate there (2018 and 2019) the food was mediocre, and the lunch/dinner menus were combined, with several of our favorites omitted. Sadly, we no longer have a desire to eat there. I'm trying to think of an Epcot restaurant that's still worth it, maybe Le Cellier? Next month we're trying Yachtsman Steakhouse and Flying Fish instead, and looking forward to them!

Not sure when you’re going- but just heard Monsieur Paul is opening this month. If you like French food…

Not sure when you’re going- but just heard Monsieur Paul is opening this month. If you like French food…
November !

I made a reservation at Trattoria al Forno to replace Chefs, but I’m going to try and get an MP reservation instead !

When we first tried Chefs years ago the food was delicious, and it had a separate lunch and dinner menu. The last two times we ate there (2018 and 2019) the food was mediocre, and the lunch/dinner menus were combined, with several of our favorites omitted. Sadly, we no longer have a desire to eat there. I'm trying to think of an Epcot restaurant that's still worth it, maybe Le Cellier? Next month we're trying Yachtsman Steakhouse and Flying Fish instead, and looking forward to them!

That’s a shame; Disney should know about this, because I know they don’t want to disappoint diners

That’s a shame; Disney should know about this, because I know they don’t want to disappoint diners
Actually, I fear your view is a thing of the past. Current Disney doesn't seem to care much how satisfied diners are. We had much mediocre to outright bad food last fall and significantly limited menus; many are now brunch every day or a prix fixe.

Do look at the official Disney menu for Monsieur Paul before booking. It is now prix fixe entirely, no a la carte at all.

I agree that Chefs' quality has deteriorated markedly. We had a similar experience with the steak, the only meat my DH could have due to his peppers allergy. It was a bad cut, very gristly, and not medium as he'd ordered. Both of us got plain white rice molded with a custard cup and unseasoned as a starch. Most uncharacteristic.

Generally speaking, we had few satisfying meals, a real disappointment due to our eating almost entirely TS.

The good news is that Trattoria al Forno was magnificent, both food and service. As were Topolino's and Cali Grill.

ETA: Another notable change at Monsieur Paul, due to the classic prix fixe that's now the only menu, I expect :

Cancellation Policy
If your plans change, please cancel your reservation by phone or email at least 72 hours in advance of your reservation. A $100 per person cancellation fee will apply for no-shows or cancellations within 72 hours of the reservation.

Last edited:
Actually, I fear your view is a thing of the past. Current Disney doesn't seem to care much how satisfied diners are. We had much mediocre to outright bad food last fall and significantly limited menus; many are now brunch every day or a prix fixe.

Do look at the official Disney menu for Monsieur Paul before booking. It is now prix fixe entirely, no a la carte at all.

I agree that Chefs' quality has deteriorated markedly. We had a similar experience with the steak, the only meat my DH could have due to his peppers allergy. It was a bad cut, very gristly, and not medium as he'd ordered. Both of us got plain white rice molded with a custard cup and unseasoned as a starch. Most uncharacteristic.

Generally speaking, we had few satisfying meals, a real disappointment due to our eating almost entirely TS.

The good news is that Trattoria al Forno was magnificent, both food and service. As were Topolino's and Cali Grill.

ETA: Another notable change at Monsieur Paul, due to the classic prix fixe that's now the only menu, I expect :

Cancellation Policy
If your plans change, please cancel your reservation by phone or email at least 72 hours in advance of your reservation. A $100 per person cancellation fee will apply for no-shows or cancellations within 72 hours of the reservation.
That’s disappointing. My nephew, who works at Homecoming, did say a few months ago that the new guy running Disney is not well liked, and they are trying to oust him. I love Disney, so I hope they do better.

I did check the menu - it sounds delicious; I love almost everything on the menu

If I end up at MP and not Trattoria, Trattoria will be on my list for next time

We went there based on a recommendation from friends who have been and enjoyed it several times. Our meal was good. Our server was new, but she did a fine job. It wasn't my favorite meal, but I was happy with it and we enjoyed the ambience. That said, it was our first time eating there. I think folks who have been eating there for years miss some of the menu items that have been removed and it's not the same as what they remember.

Sheesh..thanks! Too bad, I love French food

Any suggestions for a replacement ? San Angel Inn is hopeless, I think. We’ll be at MK that day, but we don’t mind hopping - we were going to, anyway?

Maybe an underrated restaurant at Epcot?
If you can get over to Topolino's it's a home run IMO. Le Cellier is not as good as it used to be either and we had issues twice with filets!

I think folks who have been eating there for years miss some of the menu items that have been removed and it's not the same as what they remember.
Definitely true for us.

DH practically worshiped the goat cheese with bacon flatbread appetizer--all flatbreads gone now. I loved the fresh berries in a meringue basket dessert, also gone.

All that, we were prepared to work around. It was that what we got was so lackluster or outright inferior that disappointed us. Chefs de France had long had stunningly good food.

We may try it again next trip since the international CMs are returning, and presumably supply issues will be less pronounced.

We have been going to Chefs de France since it first opened (when they served lunch on the outdoor patio which is now incorporated into the restaurant). It was always a must do for us because of ambiance and food. Unfortunately, the menu has become increasingly less appealing to us over time. And the execution of the dishes is often unacceptable. The last time we went (February 2022), my DH sent back the ratatouille. The salade de chèvre chaud had very little goat cheese and it wasn’t warm. The “tenderloin” was a very poor cut. Even our Kir Royale was poorly made.

We are not planning to return until it improves.

Worth it IMO LOL!
Heartily agreed.

We're of the mindset of "don't give but half a care what it costs if the food is GOOD."

Topolino's, Trattoria al Forno, Cali Grill--wonderful last trip. Intriguingly, so was Beaches and Cream, which is saying something since I'm gluten/dairy intolerant. Their coconut milk ice cream with pineapple topping was really tasty as was my turkey sandwich on amazingly good g-f bread. Anybody who has to eat g-f bread will appreciate what a rarity that is.

We went there based on a recommendation from friends who have been and enjoyed it several times. Our meal was good. Our server was new, but she did a fine job. It wasn't my favorite meal, but I was happy with it and we enjoyed the ambience. That said, it was our first time eating there. I think folks who have been eating there for years miss some of the menu items that have been removed and it's not the same as what they remember.

Could be. I think I ate at Bistro de Paris once, never at Chefs, so I don’t have a personal memory

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter