Chemotherapy - what to expect?

Really sorry you feel that way. As you can see from the posting history, this board doesn't get a lot of action. Most posts are 2-3 days old. Could be no one saw your post and now that you've deleted the text we don't know what's going on.

There are many, many, many types of chemo. Depends what type of cancer and how they're treating it. There are also a lot of differences with duration and how often you're getting it. Could be minor side effects, like bruising, to severe, like being very sick and losing hair. Your best bet is to discuss the specifics with your doctor. If you get the name of the type of chemo you can Google it and get more information on that particular medicine. Good luck :hug:

Hi-
I only visit this board about once a month. I'm sorry I didn't see your original post. I don't know much about the topic, but I'm wishing you or your loved one well.
I wish there was a way to get more traffic on this board.

I'm new to this board. I am a rectal cancer victor. I can answer questions specifically about what I experienced. I received two different drugs. I lost some hair, not all. Had very low white blood and platelet counts and bruised like crazy. My taste changed. I couldn't even taste some things. Chocolate had to be the good stuff to even taste it. All I wanted to eat we're English muffin pizzas. I ate other things, but I craved them. One drug had lasting consequences. Oxcyliplaten left me with permanent neuropathy in my fingers and feet. It's a very rare side effect. I'd be happy to answer more specific questions if you are dealing with colo-rectal cancer.

Seven years clean. It's on day at a time. Good luck.

I’m sorry I didn’t give you guys more time to respond. Thanks to those that have responded. I know this isn’t a high traffic area of the board and when I removed my post, there were over 100 views and no responses so I was frustrated that there were that many that at least opened the thread and didn’t respond.

My MIL was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in her colon a little over a month ago during what we thought was a routine colonoscopy. She was rushed by ambulance from where she was having the colonoscopy to the hospital because of a rupture in the colon. They fixed the rupture and removed the tumor along with a third of her colon as well as, I think, 19 lymph nodes. Seven of the lymph nodes were cancerous and the tumor is cancerous. After tests, it doesn’t appear that the cancer has spread anywhere else, which is good. She was lucky enough not to end up with a bag which is good, thanks to the skilled surgeon.

She has recovered fairly well from surgery and will start chemo next week. The doctor did give her a large list of possible side effects but I guess, until she goes through it, we won’t know what will happen.

I work outside the home and DH works outside the home about 65% of the time. Up until this happened, MIL was DD’s daycare but we immediately put DD in daycare full time for the summer because we knew MIL wouldn’t be well enough to take care of DD.

One thing I’m worried about is how much care MIL will need after the chemo starts and how weak she going to get? DH and I both work and can only take so much time off but we’ll do what we have to do, I just want to prepare myself for what care will be needed. She has a large upstairs bedroom…maybe we should look into moving her downstairs (but converting one of the rooms downstairs into a bedroom with take time)?

I think it was caught early enough so prognosis is good, once she gets through the chemo, so that’s good.

I am trying to decide what to tell DD6 but maybe I should wait to see how MIL is affected by the chemo first. I already told DD about the cancer and that the doctor caught it early and will make Grandma better. It really seemed to scare DD.

Thank you for updating :) Good the hear that your MIL's prognosis is good. My Godmother had colon cancer, had surgery and chemo, and recovered well. The chemo for the colon cancer didn't cause her to get very sick or lose her hair. Sadly, years later she developed breast cancer (her doctor said the two kind of go hand-in-hand for an unknown reason so please make sure when your MIL recovers she gets her mammograms). The chemo from the breast cancer did cause her to lose her hair, and as a PP sadly had happen, it also caused neuropathy in her feet that never went away.

You and your DH may want to look into FMLA through your jobs. When my mom was in one hospital with pulmonary failure and my daddy was in another with multiple myeloma, my sister and I both had to go on FMLA. The only benefit to it, IMO, was that they cannot fire you for missing work. You will have to use your vacation time and, if you have the option, family sick time; they don't have to pay you for missed time. But, if you're on FMLA they cannot fire you for missing "too much" work. My bosses were very understanding about everything with my parents, but one day one of them made a comment behind my back, which I happened to overhear, about me leaving at 1:00 for two days in a row. I had the vacation time, got coverage for my position, and they knew I had to be at the hospital. That day I had my mother's doctor fill out the FMLA paperwork and got covered.

Best of luck to you and your family :hug:

A coworker of mine had chemo for colon cancer. She was about 45 at the time. She got very nauseous and she did lose most of her hair. Even though she was married (with no children) she did end up spending a lot of time at her sister's house who did not work. Her sister ensured that she at least took in something a few times a day and just generally was there so she wasn't alone for long periods when she was really sick. From what I was told, you have the chemo and then about day 2 after that you are really "down" for a few days, then you start to come up a bit. But everyone reacts differently.

I'm also sorry you didn't get a lot of responses. I am a thyroid cancer survivor and try to keep a look out for the "thyroid" thread to pop up on this board. But sometimes we go DAYS without any action!!

This board didn't used to always be here and many of these types of posts were put out on the Community Board. There was a time when the Community Board could be pretty harsh and sometimes insensitive comments were made to people who were really suffering. This board was created as kind of a safe haven for those who are going through a tough time and really want support without any sarcastic commentary.

If you do want more "traffic" there is absolutely nothing wrong with you posting your question on the Community Board. You will probably get a lot more answers. The breast cancer survivors thread is very active on the community board so there is nothing wrong with posting over there too!

How old is MIL and what's her general health and activity tolerance like? Does she live alone? Even with that info, tho, every case and everybody's individual reaction is unique to them. Also, different types and combinations are used for various types of cancers. Good news is that advances in managing chemotherapy have improved things a great deal over the years for many people. (Chemo for colon cancer I believe thins the hair, but doesn't make it fall out - of the people I know who've had it).

Generally speaking, though, chemotherapy often causes profound weakness and fatigue, especially when begun soon after surgery (often the case). Even with naps, one doesn't wake up feeling rested. Other therapies (like radiation) and/or stress and shock/depression can really wreak havoc with some people. Of course others sail through it like it was nothing! It just depends.

Children require a lot from their caregivers. Sometimes people going through treatment dont have much to give; their reserves are low. In fact, this is one time in their lives they can be justified in being totally selfish. (And healing is emotional as well as physical. Emotional healing can take a lot longer than physical, too, or vice-versa.) Women, though, arent very good at giving up their caregiver roles even when they're sick themselves. They still often try to do it all, and reasons for that are complex. IMO you will have to see how it goes and have a heart to heart with your MIL about what she is up to doing, if anything. You will probably want to have a Plan B in place in case she's not up to watching your DD or if she has complications down the road.

Hi, again. I'm glad your MIL has a good prognosis. I received 5-FU and Oxcylliplatin (sp?). My tumor had not spread and I received radiation prior to my surgery. I was also on the 5-FU prior to surgery. After surgery I was on a 6 month just in case chemo of the two drugs. The Oxi causes the neuropathy. In 90% of the cases, it goes away. The 5-FU was an infusion that was 24 hours a day for 5 days. The Oxi was administered over a few hours in the DH's office. This was every two weeks. My side effects got to be bad enough that my oncologist stopped the Oxi about three treatments short of full, and the 5-FU about one treatment short. I was wiped out for longer periods as I progressed. In the beginning it was for a day or so then at the end it was for five days. Any other questions, just ask.

Kim

I am sorry you felt ignored and deleted your post.

Glad many have responded and your mil prognosis is good.

I don't check this thread too much either. It does depress me but I have come here quiet a few times myself the past three years asking for prayers, support, etc.

I wish your mil the best. Hang around and there are many here who can listen and/or give advice/feedback, etc.

MIL is 75 but in pretty good health otherwise and is a strong woman....both physically and mentally.

As soon as this all hit, we did immediately put DD in daycare because we didn't want MIL to worry about her because I know she would try to watch her regardless.

MIL lives with us and has been for over 6 years now since shortly after her husband passed away. She is independent and mostly moved in with us because she hated the idea of living alone. I think having a grand daughter to care for has done wonders for her mentally. Made her feel needed.

Right now she just needs to concentrate on taking care of herself and getting lots of rest.

Today she had a port put in so she's rather sore. Her treatment starts on Monday.

She watched both her sister and her DH die of cancer. With her sister, it was a long battle that took several years. For her DH, it was a matter of months. I can't imagine the fear she must be feeling. She is not alone though.

Thank you all for your responses.

My kids (twins) were turning six when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I waited until I had answers, but told them in language they could understand what was going on. (I am an RN so they were used to technical talk anyway.)

Their biggest concern at first was my being bald. I think they thought I was going to walk around that way. They were also concerned I would have to be away from them in the hospital. Later, as treatment progressed, they showed lots of sensitivity when I was tired and they wanted to help me in ways they could. I remember small things like them fixing my blanket, or getting me something to drink, or just laying with me. The first time I came home with my head shaved, my son said he wanted to see what it looked like. I was hesitant, but finally took my wig off. Without flinching or missing a beat, he said, "You look beautiful, Mom". (That always makes me cry.) I do think their having that experience at a young age helped them to become more compassionate people. They will be 16 soon. :goodvibes

I'm sure as a family, you will work it all out. It sounds like your MIL has great supports. My mother lives with us also, so I know just what you mean about your MIL and your DD.

I'm sorry to read this.. :hug:

I am doubly sorry as I try to check in daily, but was on holiday..

I have been through it with my MIL, and we had a few things suggested to us, such as prepared meals in small portions of a different variety, we found her taste buds changed daily with the chemo..

Do you have a city service for any help? We had help offering us a soft toilet seat, and a nurse to come in and help from time to time.

Thinking and praying for your family.

MY mother (74 years old) is going through chemo for SLL/CLL. She has her chemo every 3 weeks. During her chemo, they give her tons of allergy meds before she gets the actual chemo drugs. She usually does her chemo all day long and sleeps through most of it. She doesn't get sick until the 6 day mark and it usually lasts a week.

My mom lives by herself and we had someone spend the first week after chemo with her 24/7. I didn't want her to have a horrible reaction by herself. We only spend the first week with her during her first treatment, now we check in on her every few hours. I wish my mom would stay with us, but she wants to be alone.

If your MIL wants to be alone, make sure she has every thing she might need. I ended up getting my mom adult diapers because a lot of times she didn't make it to the bathroom. I also stock up on ginger ale, soups and plastic spoons and forks (my mom gets metal mouth).

My MIL went for her first chemo treatment today and it went pretty well so far.

She was there for 7-8 hours and gave her a megadose of chemo meds and then hooked her up with a pump that slowly releases meds over the next couple of days. Then they remove the pump and will redo in two weeks. She is scheduled for six treatments. Their goal is completely curing her which is good news.

She is tired but she went up stairs fine and back down stairs for dinner. She needs to try to keep her weight up since she has already lost 25 pounds since the surgery.

The one scary warning that they gave her is she can't have anything cold over the next couple of days......nothing colder than room temperature. If she has something cold, she will feel like her throat is closing up and there will be a lot of pain and this pain may or may not go away or it could take weeks, months or an entire year for this pain to go away. It messes with your nerves.

We'll see what the next few days are like for her.

MIL is 75 but in pretty good health otherwise and is a strong woman....both physically and mentally.

As soon as this all hit, we did immediately put DD in daycare because we didn't want MIL to worry about her because I know she would try to watch her regardless.

MIL lives with us and has been for over 6 years now since shortly after her husband passed away. She is independent and mostly moved in with us because she hated the idea of living alone. I think having a grand daughter to care for has done wonders for her mentally. Made her feel needed.

Right now she just needs to concentrate on taking care of herself and getting lots of rest.

Today she had a port put in so she's rather sore. Her treatment starts on Monday.

She watched both her sister and her DH die of cancer. With her sister, it was a long battle that took several years. For her DH, it was a matter of months. I can't imagine the fear she must be feeling. She is not alone though.

Thank you all for your responses.

I am very sorry to hear about her diagnosis, but I am quite happy to hear that she did not require any ostomies and the fact that she is living with you.

I work as a visiting nurse and have some experience with people receiving chemo treatment while living at home.

I don't know how long her treatment is for, but the biggest problems you will encounter will be nausea, causing lack of appetite, dehydration and also weakness. A positive attitude will go a long way to help as well a good support system (OP and family) and I think that will help.

Some thoughts:

1) Nutrition

The chemo is going to interfere with eating unfortunately, so instead of 3 meals/day maybe switching to 6 small meals/day can help. A can of ensure could serve as one of those meals. Also favorite foods can help stimulate the appetite. If unable to eat, offer fruit juices.

The effects of the chemo (nausea) usually is not immediate, there is a delay of a day or so. I've seen quite a few patients have a treatment and say "That wasn't bad!". Only to report the following day they feel like a truck hit them.

Nutrition is real important, so I would suggest that when she does feel good, during the treatment cycle, take advantage and EAT!

2) Fluid intake

Same goes for fluid intake. Fruit juices, water and Gatorade are good options. Becoming dehydrated can cause dizziness upon standing an make worse the nausea and potentially cause potential for falls.

Her body will need the fluids to heal and also process the chemo drugs out of her body, otherwise her kidneys and liver have to work overtime. So drink, drink drink.

3) Bowel function

Constipation can be a problem too due to the chemo causing nausea which causes a lessening of fluid intake. Eating 1/2 - 1 can of pears in their own juice a day (not fresh pears, not pears in a jar, not pears in light or heavy syrup!) will stimulate the bowels naturally. Use this if only she is having trouble going easily.

You may have to hunt for them, but you should be able to find them. This works like a charm for any one with bowel issues.

4) Safety

To say she is gonna feel weak and icky is an understatement. it is real important that she be EXTRA careful when getting up to walk as she will be prone to not feeling steady on her feet. When getting up to go to the bathroom, kitchen, where ever, she needs to PAUSE for 10-15 sec THEN go slowly where she wants to go.

If she tries to get and go to quickly from a laying or standing position, she could become dizzy or lightheaded and have a fall. Just tell her not to let her brain write checks her body can't cash! Slow and steady is they way to go. Stairs should also be taken slowly. If they prove to be too much for her, perhaps consider having her on one floor for the duration of the treatment.

5) Rest

Self explanatory. She is still healing, and her endurance won't be too great. Taking naps are very encouraged.

---

It sounds like she has a wonderful support system. The above ideas are the biggest problems I have come across with chemo patients. As I said, a positive attitude and the knowledge in knowing this treatment is TEMPORARY will help. She is already on the road to healing.

Warmest wishes towards a speedy recovery. Remember that laughter will help with a lot too. Good luck :)

Thank you for the tips Smartdog.

She is getting a lot of sleep because she is exhausted and she is weak but not so weak that she can't make it up and down the stairs and to the bathroom herself.

The doctor told her she will have one week that sucks, followed by a week that she feels good but then the process starts all over again. She has five more treatments.

Constipation hasn't been a problem, just the opposite. As soon as she eats, she runs to the bathroom. Last night she was finally able to eat something and not run to the bathroom. She had been eating small snacks and drinking lots of water.

Thank you for the tips Smartdog.

She is getting a lot of sleep because she is exhausted and she is weak but not so weak that she can't make it up and down the stairs and to the bathroom herself.

The doctor told her she will have one week that sucks, followed by a week that she feels good but then the process starts all over again. She has five more treatments.

Constipation hasn't been a problem, just the opposite. As soon as she eats, she runs to the bathroom. Last night she was finally able to eat something and not run to the bathroom. She had been eating small snacks and drinking lots of water.

Well, if she is going #2 too much, then try to give her rice, cheese and bananas as that should help to bind up the bowel. Not all together at once! Offer them as snacks, or sides to meals. Seperately they all have binding properties. Also, remember Gatorade to help with dehydration and potential electrolyte depletion.

Glad to hear its only 5 more treatments. Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter