Cherry blossoms in DC- question

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
has anyone gone to see them this week? I hear they are in peak bloom this weekend. My DH and DD are going on Sunday for the first time. It is supposed to snow on Saturday so I hope the blooms will still be on the trees.

Can anyone recommend a place for lunch nearby the Mall that is not too expensive?

Last edited:
There won’t be enough snow to bother the blooms. It will definitely be peak this weekend. And beautiful.

No suggestions for lunch. My favorite place to recommend is a little off of the mall..Old Ebitt Grill.

has anyone gone to see them this week? I hear they are in peak bloom this weekend. My DH and DD are going on Sunday for the first time. It is supposed to snow on Saturday so I hope the blooms will still be on the trees.

Can anyone recommend a place for lunch nearby the Mall?

We have lived in the DMV most of our lives and never go downtown for the blossoms. My DS and his GF are planning to go. Be aware, traffic will be bad. They're planning on some type of public transportation. Between the wind yesterday and the rain/snow on Sat, they won't be as pretty.

As for lunch, you'll have to walk a couple of blocks away from the mall unless you want a foodtruck, or buy in a museum (hardly worth it, although most used to be really good 30 years ago).

There won’t be enough snow to bother the blooms. It will definitely be peak this weekend. And beautiful.

No suggestions for lunch. My favorite place to recommend is a little off of the mall..Old Ebitt Grill.

Is there any place else for lunch that is cheaper than Old Ebbitt Grill?

If you’re willing to try something a bit different, I recommend the cafe in the Smithsonian museum of the American Indian. They serve authentic Native American dishes from different regions and it’s really good.

I am more familiar with the area around the White House and the cherry blossoms are mostly near the Tidal Basin. I know there is a Cosi west of the White House.

Go on google maps and look around for restaurants. We used to eat in the Old Post Office pavilion before it was bought.

My daughter goes to school in DC. We were down last weekend and they were just starting to bloom. Peak is supposed to be next week.

It actually looks more like rain than snow. As for lunch, the Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian is really good and different from typical me seem fare. Check out their website.

My daughter goes to school in DC. We were down last weekend and they were just starting to bloom. Peak is supposed to be next week.

It actually looks more like rain than snow. As for lunch, the Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian is really good and different from typical me seem fare. Check out their website.

The "peak" was actually yesterday. :)

https://cherryblossomwatch.com/cherry-blossom-watch-update-april-6-2018/

The National Park Service said that the cherry blossoms hit peak bloom yesterday (April 5). Peak bloom is when 70 percent of the Yoshino cherry trees are in full bloom.

And if anyone has plans next weekend...
Weekend Prospects
This weekend will be the prime cherry blossom viewing weekend. Expect big crowds. You’ll have to dodge the weather on Saturday and the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler on Sunday.

Next weekend (April 14-15). They peaked yesterday (April 5). In ideal conditions they can last a week or more beyond that, but it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting ideal weather conditions. It’s certainly possible there’ll still be flowers out to on the weekend of April 14-15, but the odds are leaning against it.

There’ll be plenty more updates before then so we can see how they’re tracking, so it’s worth checking back.

There is a neighborhood in the Betheseda area, Kenwood. The cherry blossoms are beautiful! If you have your own transportation you should check it out!

If you’re willing to try something a bit different, I recommend the cafe in the Smithsonian museum of the American Indian. They serve authentic Native American dishes from different regions and it’s really good.

I agree we love it!

OP, may be too late for lunch plans, but a few places that are about a mile from the Tidal Basin:

Founding Farmers
CIRCA

For something more affordable and quick:

Roti (which is like a Mediterranean Chipotle). There is one near my office and very good.
GCDC Grilled Cheese Bar

I drive past the Cherry Blossoms on my way home from work. On Friday, they were like an explosion of pink. It's always beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter