• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chevy Equinox or Ford Escape?

wifeofjack

Mouseketeer
We are looking for a new car, well, a small SUV type vehicle. Yesterday we test drove both an Equinox and an Escape. We found several pros and cons with both. I liked the leg room in the Equinox and hubby liked the OnStar feature. I felt the Equinox had more cargo room and especially liked that the back seat would adjust to give a rider more leg room. The Escape had a back up camera, which I don't think I would use. I did not like the way my right knee kept bumping onto the center console when I was driving. Hubby thinks the Escape is a better looking vehicle, and is supposed to give better MPG. We also want to look at a Dodge Journey, but don't think we will seriously give it as much consideration as the other two.
What say you about these two vehicles, anybody have any adverse issues or problems with either one. We don't think we will buy until closer to the end of April, just doing as much research as we can before we make the purchase.

My parents have 2 Escapes and have had nothing but problems with both of them. My BFF has a Equinox and loves it. I personally would go with the Equinox. Just think its weird that BOTH my parents are bad. One is a 2009, on a 2010.

We have a 2006 Equinox and I know they have changed significantly since our model year so I can't truly compare. I will say we haven't had any issues and it has been reliable but I would not buy another one. I don't really think there is anything too special about the Equinox but I have always preferred GM vehicles. Sounds like both you and DH prefer to the Equinox to the Escape in terms of drivability and comfort. At the end of the day isn't that what matters?

If it makes any difference I had a 25mph chain reaction accident in an Equinox. All other vehicles drove away, the Equinox was totalled. I would not get a GM again.

Mileage will be similar for both (and IIRC, the 4 cylinder Equinox is rated highest in class). I'd choose the one you like driving the best.

Just wait lol!! I have an 2006 many a problem including needing a new transmission. My mechanic says if everyone drove an Escape he would be a millionaire!!

We had a 2010 Pontiac Torrent (a rebadged Equinox) it was good, we never had any problems with it.

I bought a used 2011 Equinox with about 40,000 miles on it last summer after test driving 5 similar SUVs from different auto companies. It has never been in the shop, and it is (to me) much more comfortable than the others that I drove. I also like the back seat adjustment feature.

I bought it as a second vehicle because my 1998 Chevy Silverado has 215,00+ miles on it, and I wanted to take my time and wait for the right vehicle. FWIW, the only repair (other than brakes) I have done on my truck is to replace the radiator last year. My brother has a 1997 Silverado with over 250,000 miles on it. My daughter drove her 2002 Chevy Trailblazer across the country in 2012 - again, no repair issues with that vehicle. I have never had a problem with GM vehicles, and that was a huge factor in buying a Chevrolet. My dealer (who also owns a Ford store) told me that Chevy is great to work with on repairs/warranty work when needed.

Hubby thinks the Escape is a better looking vehicle

Take it from an Element owner (you know, the toaster on wheels?) ... when you're inside the car, you can't tell what it looks like.

I wanted an Element since the day they came out in 2003; every time I mentioned it to my mom, or I was with her when she saw one, the commented how ugly they were, and she "wouldn't be caught dead in one". I finally got one 3 years ago, and after my mom rode in it once, she decided she wanted one. She even got a *BLACK* one, and she *HATES* black with a passion.

So what a vehicle looks like really shouldn't factor into your decision ... unless you're just trying to impress people. I'd much rather have a car I can clean using a leaf blower and mop than one random people I don't even know think I look "cool" in. :D

And make sure you get your free trial of OnStar and use it frequently. The directions are really hit or miss. I used to work for them, and had a customer call back in very upset because the last agent had sent him directions to Best Buy ... that was a trip of 200 miles. Why? Because it had him get on the interstate, go north for 100 miles, get off, get back on and go south 100 miles, then back on the street he was originally on and go 2 miles down the road. It's a good idea, but the navigation location system leaves a lot to be desired.

I've had an 2002 and a 2007 Escapes. While I loved them....blew the engine in the '07 last fall. Not impressed, did not get it fixed, a new engine would cost more than it was worth. Also had something wrong with the tranny about year 4 that cost just over $2000 to repair.
So I had been looking for something new before this happened this really pushed me to get something sooner. Anyway I drove a couple new Escapes, but I really don't like the look of them. Tried out the Edge, Terrain thought they were too truck like and I don't need the room.
Then I took a VW Tiguan out for a test drive. OMG no comparison to the Escape. Basically the are in the same price range but I loved the feel of the Tiguan in the first five minutes.
I have driven Fords for 30 plus years but the VW is just so comfortable. So far I am totally happy with my decision. I've heard the VW's can be expensive to repair well so can anything.

Good luck with your car shopping.

Equinox hands down. I have driven both as rental vehichles and hated the ford and just loved the Chevy. Everything was just in the right place for me anyhow. Also liked the fact it had the same 3.6 litre V6 my Acadia has so lots of power and also very good gas mileage.

I've had an 2002 and a 2007 Escapes. While I loved them....blew the engine in the '07 last fall. Not impressed, did not get it fixed, a new engine would cost more than it was worth. Also had something wrong with the tranny about year 4 that cost just over $2000 to repair.
So I had been looking for something new before this happened this really pushed me to get something sooner. Anyway I drove a couple new Escapes, but I really don't like the look of them. Tried out the Edge, Terrain thought they were too truck like and I don't need the room.
Then I took a VW Tiguan out for a test drive. OMG no comparison to the Escape. Basically the are in the same price range but I loved the feel of the Tiguan in the first five minutes.
I have driven Fords for 30 plus years but the VW is just so comfortable. So far I am totally happy with my decision. I've heard the VW's can be expensive to repair well so can anything.

Good luck with your car shopping.

The Tiguan is nice but can be problematic with electrical problems. VW/Audi in general seem to suffer these issues not sure why. My cousin drives one and is on a first name basis with the shop. He has a 2011 and it has made 16 trips to the dealer for electrical issues.

We bought an SUV almost 2 years ago. DH heavily researched that category and we test drove several. I loved the Escape. I felt very comfortable driving it. However, DH looked up the crash ratings and they were terrible. This was going to be the car I drove around with our boys and DH said I couldn't have an Escape. We also drove an Equinox. I liked it OK, but the cargo area was narrowed by two giant built in speakers. We didn't even think we could fit luggage for the four of us for a week long trip. Also, the Equinox was pricey compared to others we saw, so we crossed it off the list. We ended up with a 2013 KIA Sorento. The crash ratings are excellent. The cargo area is big enough for us. The mileage is decent compared to other SUVs. I love driving it. It also has a back-up camera which I like. You might think you won't use it, but once you realize you can see so much more behind you between the camera and looking around, I think you'll be glad you have it.

Are you an American only car purchaser? For reliability we have always found the foreign, big 3 (Honda, Nissan, and Toyota) to be much better overall than Fords and Chevys. I would purchase a 1 or 2 yr old Toyota, for instance, before a new Ford or Chevy. As they say, your mileage may vary.

I have a 2012 Equinox that I still LOVE!

Honestly, we much prefer GM to Ford. Had an Expedition just prior to the Equinox & couldn't wait to get rid of it (Suburban & Tahoe prior to that).

Having 2 sons that were both hockey players, the cargo issue was a big factor. Always found that the Equinox was plenty big enough (without moving back into the large SUV category). And mine does have the backup camera that I rarely use unless I am parallel parking in the city. The maneuverability of the seats is great & whenever I have others in the car they always comment as to comfort level.

Drives great. Gas mileage is very good (especially when compared to my previous cars). No mechanical issues.

I actually plan on keeping this car for a very long time.

DW and I work for companies that run fleets of cars. and both have transitioned to Escapes in the past few years. Half our Escapes are now over 100,000 miles with no major problems.

As to Disney4us2002 point about foreign branded cars, looking from a cost of operation in some instances, their advantages are outweighed by their disadvantages.. Their advantage is they're are (slightly) more reliable. The disadvantage is they cost more to buy, to insure, and those repairs on average are more expensive. That's why so few big fleets run anything but American brands. And as someone whose family car will be 27 years old in October, the cost of operating a vehicle over it's lifetime I what I care about.
If you trade frequently, the foreign branded cars have an advantage in their higher resale value. If you drive cars until they die like fleets and I do, and are looking for the lowest cost over years and years, the American brands have the advantage.

We bought an Equinox last July and really like it. It has all the extras that I wanted, plus a few things I didn't know I wanted. :) It has a backup camera and I do like that, especially for backing out of the garage so I don't run over a cat.

The only thing I don't care for is the dashboard top is black and the front is cream, I wish it were reversed as the black shows every speck of dust. :(

We are a GM family, didn't even test drive a Ford. I did test drive a Buick Rondevuez (not sure I spelled that right) and a Dodge Journey. The Buick was similar inside to the Equinox, but I didn't like the shape of it. I don't remember much about the Journey, just that I didn't really like it.

We looked at the 2013 Equinox, Escape, and Terrain. All get the same MPG for he most part. But the Escape felt smaller and definitely didn't have enough cargo space. And the price for a similarly loaded Escape was way more than the Equinox or Terrain.

We bought an Equinox last July and really like it. It has all the extras that I wanted, plus a few things I didn't know I wanted. :) It has a backup camera and I do like that, especially for backing out of the garage so I don't run over a cat.

The only thing I don't care for is the dashboard top is black and the front is cream, I wish it were reversed as the black shows every speck of dust. :(

We are a GM family, didn't even test drive a Ford. I did test drive a Buick Rondevuez (not sure I spelled that right) and a Dodge Journey. The Buick was similar inside to the Equinox, but I didn't like the shape of it. I don't remember much about the Journey, just that I didn't really like it.

We also bought a new Equinox in July (2013 model) and we really like it. We downsized from an 8 passenger Chevy Astro van. The size of the Equinox is surprisingly good. We have 5 in our family but our oldest is rarely with us anymore so it's perfect..still enough room on the few times she goes with us.
We also have the backup camera and I do use it quite a bit although DH tends to forget it's there (but I'm the primary driver of the Equinox).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter