• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

I just listened to an interview with Jed Hoyer. When asked how the Cub's were trying to fix the lack of offense, one of many tactics was the hitter's meetings :rolleyes1. Now listening to Chili's approach at the beginning of the year, I was on board so This makes me wonder. We saw JHey, Javy, Riz (2nd half #'s)KB was off to a GREAT start before getting beaned, ( the few short weeks between that return and the shoulder injury he was still good) and ESPECIALLY Zo do better than expected, while the young guys(minus Javy) tanked. So I am not sure it is all mechanics. Young guys still learning, platoon play, Willy exhausted...I honestly have no idea if they are keeping Chili or not...but this lean's toward maybe not...I think

here is a quote from Jed:
#Cubs GM Jed Hoyer on launch angle: "Everyone believes in home runs. I think where it gets lost is playing the game offensively. ... Being willing to change your swing to not strike out in a big spot is really important. There are players that don't do that."

going to a 3rd hitting coach in as many years, not ideal on paper but who knows?

Last edited:

Any thoughts on the NLCS ALCS? I didn’t really watch much of the earlier series but followed the scores and highlights a bit. Hard to know who I’d want in NL or AL.

Any thoughts on the NLCS ALCS? I didn’t really watch much of the earlier series but followed the scores and highlights a bit. Hard to know who I’d want in NL or AL.

I like Tito(Francona) & Lindor so was pulling for Cleveland. Like you, just been peeking here/there once they were eliminated .I did see2 innings of the last CO game. After the worst balk call I may have ever seen, I tapped out. AL has more talent, but Red Sox 'pen has issues. My guess? The powers that be will keep the horseshoe firmly wedged in a certain team thus fixing a Dodger loss. The legal issues LA is facing on top of a boring rematch would be less than ideal for ratings. The NL has decent Umps this series while the AL has the Joe show, lol. I would like to see Dodgers/Redsox but MLB will want the David and Goliath story of Astros/ horseshoe. I also think (the assumption is there) of Cub fans watching if the horseshoe is in to boost ratings. Cub fans are beyond a powerful source and located wordwide so we are ratings gold. (but most I know stopped watching over a week ago lol)

ETA: I answered with my thoughts of "who will be where", but Len worded it perfectly on the whole"who are you rooting for" aspect

Len Kasper‏Verified account @LenKasper 2m2 minutes ago
People have asked who I am rooting for in the playoffs. My answer is nobody. I pull for good things to happen to people in the game I call friends, but in terms of teams, I don't care one iota once my team is out of the picture.

Last edited:
been thinking about the Chili Davis firing. I am torn because I like Chili. I think he offered a lot of good this season, and it is rough when a coach takes the hit for the players. I was less than thrilled when Eric Hinske left ( tho I would never ask a coach to pass on a great move for their career) and I think the combo of hits(no pun intended) of losing him, the injuries, losing Dr. Ken (sometimes the hitting issue isn't a physical one) even Bosio in a way for Willy~just took it's toll. The team is on notice now, for sure~the guys exit interviews pointed fingers to Chili, so Theo listened and took action. Well, now the guys who pointed need to put up or shut up. Clearly one style/coach is not one size fit all. Theo is a master of innovation, new styles..I would LOVE to see a 3 headed hitting coach much like the 3 headed closer, basically filling the holes listed above. A 2 headed monster of Bonds/Ramirez would be insane, lol. Whatever it is, I know Chili was hand picked by Joe so I have to believe that has been addressed and whoever is/are chosen will not be handled the same way.

Last edited:
Well folks...I've fallen behind yet again.

Just in case you want to know why...

I've taken a position in Orlando. Yep, although there are many things about Disney that piss me off (most notably their IT systems that seem to be broken more than they work and paying to park as if you don't charge enough already), but I intend to make good use of my AP and not necessarily spend a small fortune to go there now.

So, Fin, my dream of moving to FL is becoming a reality. I start work at the new job on the 22nd.

That brings me to the why of falling behind yet again. Been working two jobs, been filling out paperwork for new job, been house hunting. Hmmm, did I forget anything? I would say sleep, but there hasn't been as much of that as I'd like.

So...two things beside this I'd like to say:
1) I started a new TR (shameless plug)
2) If you come down to visit the mouse, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

Last edited:

I've taken a position in Orlando. Yep, although there are many things about Disney that piss me off (most notably their IT systems that seem to be broken more than they work and paying to park as if you don't charge enough already), I intend to make good use of my AP and not necessarily spend a small fortune to go there now.

So, Fin, my dream of moving to FL is becoming a reality. I start work at the new job on the 22nd.

That brings me to the why of falling behind yet again. Been working two jobs, been filling out paperwork for new job, been house hunting. Hmmm, did I forget anything? I would say sleep, but there hasn't been as much of that as I'd like.

2) If you come down to visit the mouse, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG! IT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tenor.gif

SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc, this is FANtatic news!!!!! Sleep is for the weak, lol.....what a great post to open!
Congratulations on making it happen, you give me hope!
It was 40 degrees here today...and such a lovely shade of Chicago grey, lol. We are supposed to attend a BBQ tomorrow and I am going to have to dig out my gloves.

You want to hear something crazy? Today, I was literally looking at Orlando properties dreaming on lunch. The cyber brother/sister vibe is eerily strong, lol. My ACTUAL brother and SIL are down there for the Fins/Bears game this weekend, lucky ducks.
keep-calm-and-go-fins-1.png

I love when good things happen to good people~ thanks for updating us and enjoy it all Doc!(and good thing the job wasn't in the Pensacola area:scared:)

FYI~ not sure where in Orlando the job is (unless you mean FOR WDW) but Winderemere is mighty pretty.

Last edited:

I've taken a position in Orlando. Yep, although there are many things about Disney that piss me off (most notably their IT systems that seem to be broken more than they work and paying to park as if you don't charge enough already), but I intend to make good use of my AP and not necessarily spend a small fortune to go there now.

How wonderful!!! Congratulations and enjoy your family life in Orlando!!!

Re: Disney's IT: You mean there isn't supposed to be a picture of a headless snowman appearing on the page when I try to modify my FPs 95% of the time?! LOL! Really though, enjoy your frequent trips to WDW! I think I could get used to that really easily!

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG! IT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tenor.gif

SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc, this is FANtatic news!!!!! Sleep is for the weak, lol.....what a great post to open!
Congratulations on making it happen, you give me hope!
It was 40 degrees here today...and such a lovely shade of Chicago grey, lol. We are supposed to attend a BBQ tomorrow and I am going to have to dig out my gloves.

You want to hear something crazy? Today, I was literally looking at Orlando properties dreaming on lunch. The cyber brother/sister vibe is eerily strong, lol. My ACTUAL brother and SIL are down there for the Fins/Bears game this weekend, lucky ducks.
Funny you posted that picture. Except for the fact I'm a guy and considerably older and not cute (okay, except I'm the polar opposite of that little girl) :lmao:, that's the face I've made several times. When people tell me they're happy for me...I tell them "THANK YOU SO MUCH and I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I'm happy for me also".

If you end up getting to the point (I know your MIL situation) eventually, give me a shout and I'll help your and your DH in any way I can. Since I feel we're kindred spirits in many ways (I'm still not superstitious like you), I still look forward to the day we can meet. The good thing (okay one of many good things) for me is I can possibly catch Cubs games in Tampa and Miami and Dolphins games. Still planning to catch a game at Wrigley next year if I can.

How wonderful!!! Congratulations and enjoy your family life in Orlando!!!

Re: Disney's IT: You mean there isn't supposed to be a picture of a headless snowman appearing on the page when I try to modify my FPs 95% of the time?! LOL! Really though, enjoy your frequent trips to WDW! I think I could get used to that really easily!

As an IT person, I'm pretty sure 95% failure is way below an accepted standard. I think you're being a little hard on them though...it's only 94.95% of the time. That .05% makes all the difference between an F---- and an F---.

I see from your counter you're going to be down there soon. I'll PM you (and Fin) my number and feel free to call me when you're down (if you would like) and I can pop over for a DISmeet. I can even do my Yoda impersonation for you (pretty darned good if I do say so) and for an extra bonus, I do a really good Darth Vader also.

As an IT person, I'm pretty sure 95% failure is way below an accepted standard. I think you're being a little hard on them though...it's only 94.95% of the time. That .05% makes all the difference between an F---- and an F---.

I see from your counter you're going to be down there soon. I'll PM you (and Fin) my number and feel free to call me when you're down (if you would like) and I can pop over for a DISmeet. I can even do my Yoda impersonation for you (pretty darned good if I do say so) and for an extra bonus, I do a really good Darth Vader also.

Well, OK, I'll cut IT a little slack .... except for today! I've never had so many issues except for the last couple of weeks!

OMG, you're starting your new job on the 22nd?! I'm flying down on the 23rd. Sounds like that would be a little too close to your new job start / moving time, etc, though. I also have reservations for the end of January (AP / DVC member here), if I go through with it, so that may be a little better for you?! Thanks for the number, very kind of you, and good luck with the move and new job. Take care of yourself during this time.....that can be pretty stressful!

So many Chicago Dolphin fans! My grandparents moved from Chicago to Miami Shores a long time ago, and lived next door to Don Shula's secretary. They shared lots of interesting stories back then. Both have since passed, but those were good times for the Dolphins!

Funny you posted that picture. Except for the fact I'm a guy and considerably older and not cute (okay, except I'm the polar opposite of that little girl) :lmao:, that's the face I've made several times. When people tell me they're happy for me...I tell them "THANK YOU SO MUCH and I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I'm happy for me also".

If you end up getting to the point (I know your MIL situation) eventually, give me a shout and I'll help your and your DH in any way I can. Since I feel we're kindred spirits in many ways (I'm still not superstitious like you), I still look forward to the day we can meet. The good thing (okay one of many good things) for me is I can possibly catch Cubs games in Tampa and Miami and Dolphins games. Still planning to catch a game at Wrigley next year if I can.

[/QUOTE
lol, I chose that GIF because she embodies THAT feeling! Besides, you're moving to the House of Mouse, reverting back to being a child is practically a residential requirement. Yeah, no trip in the works for us anywhere near close. You may actually be retired from your new job when that happens, sadly.
Will be fun to meet whenever it happens..even if I'm a raisin! (3 stages of life, grape, prune, raisin)

Well, OK, I'll cut IT a little slack .... except for today! I've never had so many issues except for the last couple of weeks!

OMG, you're starting your new job on the 22nd?! I'm flying down on the 23rd. Sounds like that would be a little too close to your new job start / moving time, etc, though. I also have reservations for the end of January (AP / DVC member here), if I go through with it, so that may be a little better for you?! Thanks for the number, very kind of you, and good luck with the move and new job. Take care of yourself during this time.....that can be pretty stressful!

So many Chicago Dolphin fans! My grandparents moved from Chicago to Miami Shores a long time ago, and lived next door to Don Shula's secretary. They shared lots of interesting stories back then. Both have since passed, but those were good times for the Dolphins!
Initially, it's going to be just me...getting settled in new job and area. As for moving, really just clothes for work(and play), computer books and basic necessities (whatever I can fit in the van) to start. I fully intend to take a couple night trips over before F&W is done. There were a couple things I missed when there last month. 23rd is not out of the question nor other days that week. Totally up to you. Give me a shout...can't commit to anything definite because I might be looking at houses, but should be able to take some time out. I'm DVC and AP so, popping over without having to pay parking fees or entrance into the park gives me options...only expense at that point is time and gas.

Hey Fin...I pulled up Windermere. First house listed...$23 mil. Ummmm, I'm getting a raise at the new job, but not that much. Even without interest, at my salary it would take hundreds of years. Umm, no!

Am I seeing champagne taste on a beer budget syndrome here? :lmao:

I'm seeing a bunch in pre-forclosure/auction on Zillow, but can't see any details unless I have an account. Makes me wonder if I could potentially pick up something cheap from forclosure. If that $23 mil got knocked down to $23 K, then that's more in my price range. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter