Chicago Marathon 2023

SheHulk

off to the (runDisney) races
Anybody want to talk training and logistics for Chicago 2023? I do!

I'm starting training today (yes I know it's a weird 17 weeks out) and watched Spirit of the Marathon, a great documentary about the 2005 Chicago Marathon. I've watched it many times and I may or may not have cried at the end yet again.

I don't know Chicago very well, and it's my first marathon major, so any tips or advice on the race, or visiting the city, will be welcome. DH was in charge of booking a room and I don't remember where it is. Price was a major factor in our choice. We waited to book until the day we found out I was in, which was not a great strategy because it seems prices had skyrocketed.

Last edited:

I'm starting training today (yes I know it's a weird 17 weeks out) and watched Spirit of the Marathon, a great documentary about the 2025 Chicago Marathon. I've watched it many times and I may or may not have cried at the end yet again.

I don't know Chicago very well, and it's my first marathon major, so any tips or advice on the race, or visiting the city, will be welcome. DH was in charge of booking a room and I don't remember where it is. Price was a major factor in our choice. We waited to book until the day we found out I was in, which was not a great strategy because it seems prices had skyrocketed.

Here's an old thread when a bunch of us DIS'ers did Chicago 2018 (link). Lots of helpful info in there from all us going through what you did. Additionally, here is my recap of Chicago 2018 (link) and where we ate, stayed, and did for leisure while in Chicago.

It was super helpful to read @DopeyBadger's 2018 recap when I was planning/training for Chicago last year. My recap is here. I thought it was going to be super flat (and compared to NYC [and those hills you mentioned in the MW2024 thread] it definitely was), but still more slopes than expected. Crowd support and after party were awesome.

Last edited:

I'm also running Chicago this year! It'll be my fourth time. Biggest piece of advice is be prepared for any weather. My first two times were in 2006, which was freezing rain (skull cap froze and was discarded somewhere near UIC), and 2007 when it was shut down mid-race due to heat (leading to the implementation of warning flag system). After a long break, I ran in 2021, which was very warm and brutal. Crowd support and organization (except for water stations in 2007) are always great.

As far as visiting the city, what do you like to do? If you have kids, I highly recommend the Shedd aquarium (my daughter's favorite) and the Field Museum. Highly suggest an architecture boat tour as well. Don't be afraid to venture out of the loop/river north area into some of the neighborhoods on the north side of the city. Take public transit, it's very convenient and easy way to get around.

Here's an old thread when a bunch of us DIS'ers did Chicago 2018 (link). Lots of helpful info in there from all us going through what you did. Additionally, here is my recap of Chicago 2018 (link) and where we ate, stayed, and did for leisure while in Chicago.
Wow those are some user names I haven't seen in a while, in that thread! Thanks to you and @NYC_MW for the recaps, I will read.
@HockeySteve good luck on the training! First real summer weather showed up right on time for my first training run today.

Hi @SheHulk 🙋‍♀️! I am not running Chicago this year but DH is and I will be there spectating! I have not run Chicago full since 2015 but I will echo others who have said to prepare for the weather! Warm or cold--be ready as it could be both or either! 🤣

We are staying at the Chicago Hilton on Michigan Ave, across the street from Grant Park. It's very convenient for the start/finish (we usually stay there) and it's a lot of fun. This will be DH's 4th time running Chicago. I hope you have an amazing race--and I will have to look for you on the course--how exciting!! 🥳

I'm starting training today (yes I know it's a weird 17 weeks out) and watched Spirit of the Marathon, a great documentary about the 2025 Chicago Marathon. I've watched it many times and I may or may not have cried at the end yet again.
Based on your mention, I watched Spirit of the Marathon this week. It was good! My wife -- who started watching it about halfway through -- even got invested in it, despite complaining that all she hears about from me is my running and training.

Based on your mention, I watched Spirit of the Marathon this week. It was good! My wife -- who started watching it about halfway through -- even got invested in it, despite complaining that all she hears about from me is my running and training.
lol reading your quote of my post I see that i said 2025 Chicago Marathon. It is not futuristic science fiction! Going back to edit it.

90 days to Chicago! Really hot & humid run in PA this weekend.
Did everybody get the email that corral assignments will be available July 20?

Got my corral assignment: corral K, wave 3. It's where I belong but I was half hoping I'd squeak into wave 2, depending on how they sliced us up, and start earlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter