• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicago marathon

Whatever you decide to do with the hamstring and upcoming race, be careful!
Thanks for the advice. I’ll definitely be careful as I don’t want to do something stupid. I’ll have no problem deferring the Indy half if that makes sense. It’s not a huge difference, but I just figured out that there is 4 weeks between the 2 races so I have 7 more days than I originally thought.

I’m signed up for Goofy and that is a priority to any half PR attempt in the coming weeks.

Chicago race report:

This was not what I hoped for. My goal was to run 3:25 in Chicago. It was my first race there since 3 straight from 2016 to 2018. Unfortunately I had my first DNF.

There were times during training that things seemed more difficult than they should’ve been. But late in the training cycle things started to click. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was real fitness gain, or a combination of the 2. The last few weeks of training were mostly strong. For my last long run I made a late decision to enter a 30k. My plan was not to race it, but to run a solid long run pace (for me, this would be MP + 40s or 8:29). Instead I averaged 8:08 and was conversational for 2/3rds of the race. This was a confidence boost 3 weeks out. 2 and 4 days later I crushed my workouts. So between the 30k and these 2 workouts, I was starting to feel really confident with a couple weeks to go before race day. 12 days out and I had 2 more workouts left. On Tuesday (12 days b4 race day) I had a 6x1 @ mp -10s. I felt really good and on mile #5 I felt a little something wrong in my hamstring. It was fairly dull, but I kept going and finished 5 and 6 pretty fast. During my cooldown, almost at the end, I felt something sharp in my hamstring. I immediately stopped and walked it in. Wednesday was my off day and Thursday was gonna be my final workout (10 at MP). I showed up and decided to just run easy and forego my last workout. This is basically all I did until race day. I had a couple easy days right before where I mixed in some strides. All systems seemed ready and I was cautiously optimistic.

Selinda (wife) and I got to Chicago early on Friday. We didn’t get a ton of sleep but were pleasantly surprised the hotel let us check in Friday morning. We grabbed some breakfast and then went to our room and took a nap. When we got up, we headed to the expo. The expo went smoothly. The lady that checked us in was originally from Louisville, so we chatted a couple minutes. After the expo, we hung out at the park a bit and then walked up Michigan avenue and got an early dinner at Giordanos. Friday was fairly chill and Saturday was totally lazy. I got an ez 3 miles on Saturday morning. Ate breakfast, napped, watched college football, and generally did nothing. It was a very productive pre race day. We met some KorfEdge people for a great dinner and had a relaxing walk back to our hotel.

Sunday morning I got up and everything seemed great. I put my 325 temporary tattoo pace band on, signaling to myself that I was committing to race this thing. I planned to start behind the pace group, eventually catch them mid race and then potentially pass them late if things were going well. My PR is 3:25:04 so this seemed like a reasonable plan to me. If things got rough, I figured I could hold on for sub 3:35 and BQ.

Met some guys before the race and everything was going well. Got in the corral and found the 325 pace group. The pacers got to the starting line quite a bit before I did, and with me intentionally going slow mile 1 they were out of my sight pretty quickly. I wasn’t concerned because I knew they were probably only 30 seconds ahead and I’d eventually catch them. I picked up my pace during mile 2 and 3 and even dialed it down a bit because I didn’t want to overdo it early. Everything seemed good and I figured/assumed that the longer I ran the more my legs would warm up (loosen) and I’d have smooth sailing.

Around mile 6 or 7 I felt a little dull pain in my hamstring. I grabbed a sample bio freeze I had stashed away and quickly slapped it on to deal with it. I thought even if it was phantom pain, the menthol would mask it. After a couple miles it worsened, but I hoped it would just go away. I tried to shorten my stride. I remember not stopping at the medical tent around 9 and wishing I had. I knew there was another med tent coming after 10 so I started deciding what I might do. I wasn’t ready to quit… I was hoping they’d be encouraging and have a real solution for me. I stopped there and they just wrapped it tightly. I was out quick and was hopeful this might solve my problem. I certainly wanted to give it a try.

Over the next 2 miles I was trying to find a cadence that made everything feel normal. I felt like I was limping a bit and the dull pain wasn’t going anywhere. Also, I decided that if things got to feeling better by me slowing some, that I’d just throw out any time goals and finish the race. But if that wasn’t the case, I’d rather make my decision to pull the plug early before it was too late.

Things weren’t getting any better. In fact I was slowing down, obviously not running relaxed, and I was thinking about my hamstring every step. At this point I realized my wife would be somewhere around 12.5 miles on the course and we’d be within a few blocks of the hotel. Running another 14+ miles much slower than plan and in increasing pain didn’t sound all that fun or smart. Plus I knew I had a half marathon coming up in 3 weeks and if I felt good I’d have a shot at a PR. I figured if I gutted it out to the finish, I’d probably be sidelined a while and would only have a stubbornly earned medal to show for it. So I quickly made the decision that I’d just run until I saw her and then let her know I was pulling the plug.

It sucked quitting the race. It would’ve sucked more quitting late in the race. I doubt I would’ve been able to make the decision to DNF at mile 20 or later. It was an easier choice to make this decision when I did. Who knows if it was the right decision, but I felt like it was the smartest choice with the info I had.

As soon as I stopped running, the leg felt better. Walking on it was no issue. A few times (later in the day) I’d feel some pain if I misstepped off a curb or did anything else odd.

With all the detours, it took longer to get back to the room than I hoped. I had planned to change and try to get to the finish line to cheer some other runners. By the time I cleaned up, sulked, etc, I would’ve missed most of the Louisville runners at the finish. Instead, we just tracked everyone and celebrated all the finishers from our hotel.

Even with a DNF, Selinda and I had a great weekend. The weather was good and we had a nice relaxing time. There were plenty of great results by others, so it only makes sense that there would be some failures in there too. This was my turn to not have things not work perfectly. I got plenty of sympathy on Strava and in person. Several people offered me congrats because they saw my poster hanging out of my backpack, but I had to let them know I was unable to finish this year. There will be more races in the future.

This is a really long race report, especially considering I didn’t get to the halfway point. Count your blessings as this would’ve been way longer had I been able to finish the race. 😂
So sorry to hear the race didn’t go to plan. Although difficult, you made the right call. I hope you’re able to find the root cause and address it to set yourself up for future successes.

@Bree sorry to hear about your stomach issues

@cburnett11 I think ultimately you made the right decision, but sorry you had to DNF. I hope your hamstring heals, definitely would follow @camaker ‘s advice. I started doing Nordic curls the week before Chicago. Not sure if that made a difference or not.

@BigEeyore happy to hear you had a great time! And not too far off from your PR even with your cramps - congrats!

I’m still in Chicago enjoying the city with friends. I’ll write a recap when I get home 🙂

I too have been struggling with some stomach issues the last 2-3 months, mostly nausea and abdominal pain, which I've been working to figure out with many doctor appointments recently. I hit a hard wall at about mile 15 or 16, and even though I fueled well during the race, I know I did not carb load/fuel properly in the days leading up to the race (hard to eat when I'm nauseous 50% of the time). I ended up slowing way down and took many walk breaks the last 8 miles.

It's frustrating because my training went fairly well. I used a mashup of old @DopeyBadger plans and managed to get through 14 weeks of solid training without anything hurting. My legs felt great!

Anyways, I'm really just happy to have finished, and despite hitting the wall, I really enjoyed the race. This was my 7th marathon overall and 2nd Chicago, and I still say Chicago is my favorite. The crowd support is always so amazing and that really helped me power through.

Congrats to everyone on your finish and @cburnett11 - kudos to you for running smart and not risking injury.

@cburnett11 sorry to hear about the DNF - hope you can rehab the injury and get back to running soon! If you don't already use a sports chiro, I would recommend seeing someone. "My guy" has been fixing all my injuries for over a decade - better than trying to troubleshoot it yourself!
Congrats @michigandergirl and @dis_or_dat!
This was marathon #11 for me, but only the 3rd one that wasn't Disney or Ironman. Trying to keep up a pace and go for a time (which I never do in Disney!) is something I am still figuring out. Chicago was tough with the GPS issues from the buildings, but after awhile, I just stopped caring and was happy I was still moving forward!

Goals:
A: don't get injured -- yes
B: don't stop -- hmmm
C: 3:40?

Pre-Race: Training (ala @DopeyBadger ) had gone surprisingly well. Saw that everyone who BQ'd the last 2 years got in and felt a 3:40 might be attainable even though I was training for an "easy" 3:45. Unfortunately, I made a fatal error shifting some runs around and ended up with high hamstring tendinitis about 2.5 weeks before the race. Shortened some runs and aggressively foam rolled, massage gunned, and lacrosse balled but may have made things worse. Pain was always there even when sitting. It hurt so much I skipped a 6 mi easy run three days before the race. I tried 2 leg curls in the hotel gym and nearly cried out in pain.

I barely slept the night before. The warnings about the porta potty line situation were prescient! With my nervous bladder, I barely made it to the corral in time. I had seen the 3:45 pacer team earlier, but lost sight since I was all the way in the back and figured they were about a minute ahead of me.

Race: Honestly, I was so nervous about my hamstring I considered DNS'ing, but decided to be conservative and listen to my body. Even in my pictures you can see the stress all over my face. This was my first regular big marathon. Boston was a rolling start so never felt congested. This time it was a wall of runners but I tried not to weave. I knew GPS would be off due to the tall buildings and had practiced manual lapping but even missed a few mile markers during training. This time I missed the 1 and 4 mile markers so gave up and auto lapped after that. This meant I had no idea what my pace was. I could have tried to math it out, but tend to put my brain on auto pilot when I run (thus the missed mile markers!). I decided to go at a pace (conversational) I felt I could do if my leg held up.

After very slowly catching up and passing the 3:45 pacers, my bladder started to feel uncomfortably full - grabbing water at each aid station wasn't helping the situation either! I wondered if I could bear it for another 20 miles but since I wasn't running for time, I decided to stop at the next porta potties. Unfortunately several runners beat me to them. I thought about waiting but since they had just gotten in, I moved on. It was getting worse and I tried adjusting my flip belt but then started getting desperate and considered jumping into a Starbucks or even an alley! Luckily there were more porta potties after mile 11. Strangely when I got inside they started swaying so much I almost fell over and I heard the crowd cheer as the 3:45 pacing team passed. I was determined to catch up but didn't want to strain my hamstring. It was my slowest split (8:26) besides the first 5k. After finally passing them I tried to catch up to the 3:40 pace team but never saw them.

The crowds were awesome, the weather was great, and best of all my leg was holding up! So I began to relax around mile 18 and finally enjoy the crowds (Pilsen!). This was also when I started flagging a bit and ironically my feet and quads were getting sore so I started the "Just 2 more miles until 20" etc mantra going.

Not sure how everyone else felt, but the out and back between miles 22-24 was pretty tough. Seeing the mile 24 marker across the street made mile 23 seem to take forever.

Started to make my move at mile 24. A few runners surged past me but only stayed about 5-15 ft ahead so I made it my goal to slowly reel them back in. Felt like I was maybe 3:41 range. I knew Mt Roosevelt was coming and usually do well on hills but was nervous about the hamstring. Finally Grant Park! I kicked and crossed the finish line: 3:33 on the dot! Another negative split and BQ with 5+ min cushion! Remarkably my splits were pretty even besides the potty break and first 5k - about 8:05 give or take. If I could trust my watch, I probably would have gone with an even more conservative 8:15-8:20 pace, so maybe it was a good thing I just went by feel.

Post race: Was never so happy to grab a finisher's beer! 🤣 I also had to make another bee line for the porta potties. I guess I was well hydrated! I slowly walked to mile 27 to meet up with friends and family and my youngest gave me roses! 🥰
Chicago was so fun! The city is amazing. But really it was being surrounded by friends and family that made it such a special experience.

Last edited:
Wow awesome job @dis_or_dat!!
Not sure how everyone else felt, but the out and back between miles 22-24 was pretty tough. Seeing the mile 24 marker across the street made mile 23 seem to take forever.
100% YES - especially at that point in the race! It reminded me of the old out and back on Western Way before AK - and that one was at least way earlier in the marathon!

Yes, that was rough!! When I ran Chicago in 2019, there wasn't any out and back portions, and instead there was a Goose Island Beer Truck handing out beer at mile 23!! So I was totally thrown for a loop when just prior to mile 23 there was what looked like the same beer truck, which totally messed with my head because I thought once I did the out & back and got to the other side of it, I would be rewarded with beer, but NO!!! So cruel!

@dis_or_dat great job. Am glad that hamstring held up better than you expected. You are going to have to start ticking off those international majors next :).
I think DH would not be pleased. 🤣 My friend's coworker had run London (and qualified for Berlin) the week before and last minute decided to do Chicago and she ran a 3:12! Maybe when the kids are in college 🤔

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter