• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicago marathon

Hi guys! Anyone else getting nervous? Life is so busy with kids and work but I've been trying to use manual lap. Unfortunately I tend to turn my brain off when I run so I've already missed mile markers when I've practiced.

I didn’t think I was going to be able to go because of our situation here in the Orlando area. I scrambled yesterday to rearrange flights and get another night at my hotel. Not sure how I’ll perform with so much going on here at home. I will probably latch onto a pace group for a bit.

I have all the race week jitters! Also somehow did something to my upper hamstring last week after a nearly injury-free training cycle. But the weather looks absolutely perfect!
Aren't we supposed to get an email that we present for packet pickup? I haven't gotten it yet.

I have all the race week jitters! Also somehow did something to my upper hamstring last week after a nearly injury-free training cycle. But the weather looks absolutely perfect!
Aren't we supposed to get an email that we present for packet pickup? I haven't gotten it yet.
Oh no - we're in the same boat with the upper hamstring 😣 I added some conservative strides to the end of my easy run today ... big mistake. 😰

I got an email from Chicago on Wednesday and they gave a link to a QR code you can add to your wallet to present to packet pick up. Try looking through your junk/spam folder. The subject was "2022 Bank of America Chicago Marathon - Packet pick-up ticket information" from registration@chicagomarathon.com

This late Chicago training hamstring thing must be contagious. Last Tuesday I must’ve overstrided on my 6x1 @ MP-10 because I felt something in my hamstring on #5 and then even more so at end of cooldown. I guess I felt too good because of the cold front and fall setting in. So I cut back mileage even more the last week. Today was first day in a week I ran without my cw-x compression shorts and everything seems okay. Weather should be great there. Good luck to everyone! Chicago is a great marathon. I’ll be at the expo tomorrow fairly early.

I fly out early morning. I think I’m mostly packed, but can’t find my marathon socks 😔 They are nothing particularly special, but they are my favorite. Me thinks a child who didn’t do her own laundry and ran out of her own socks swiped them and lost them.

I’ll have a recap next week. I was good up until mile 18.5 when my stomach went into full revolt. At one point I didn’t know if i could even finish and I ended up in medical after I crossed the finish line. This is an ongoing issue and I just don’t know what to do anymore. I’m just so upset because the entire run was effortless up to that point.

Just got back from Chicago last night - had a great time, did the architectural boat tour on Saturday after expo, hit the Art Institute after the race, and visited the Shedd aquarium yesterday morning before a late afternoon flight.
Chicago puts on a great race - course is fantastic, tons of support, super organized and easy logistics.
I was on track for a PR until around mile 19-20 when my left calf started trying to cramp up - I NEVER get cramps (and I trained all summer in the heat and humidity of GA!) but here I was, cramping! I was drinking electrolytes so not sure what caused it, but kept having to stop and stretch and my pace slowed by a good minute + per mile. In the end, I was just 5 minutes over a PR.
@Bree so sorry about the stomach issue - I talked to a lot of people after the race who started having some problem or another around the same time, when the temps seemed to go from upper 40's to mid 60's in a blink!
Hope everyone had a great time - I appreciate all the tips and advice, and highly recommend this race if anyone is considering!

Chicago race report:

This was not what I hoped for. My goal was to run 3:25 in Chicago. It was my first race there since 3 straight from 2016 to 2018. Unfortunately I had my first DNF.

There were times during training that things seemed more difficult than they should’ve been. But late in the training cycle things started to click. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was real fitness gain, or a combination of the 2. The last few weeks of training were mostly strong. For my last long run I made a late decision to enter a 30k. My plan was not to race it, but to run a solid long run pace (for me, this would be MP + 40s or 8:29). Instead I averaged 8:08 and was conversational for 2/3rds of the race. This was a confidence boost 3 weeks out. 2 and 4 days later I crushed my workouts. So between the 30k and these 2 workouts, I was starting to feel really confident with a couple weeks to go before race day. 12 days out and I had 2 more workouts left. On Tuesday (12 days b4 race day) I had a 6x1 @ mp -10s. I felt really good and on mile #5 I felt a little something wrong in my hamstring. It was fairly dull, but I kept going and finished 5 and 6 pretty fast. During my cooldown, almost at the end, I felt something sharp in my hamstring. I immediately stopped and walked it in. Wednesday was my off day and Thursday was gonna be my final workout (10 at MP). I showed up and decided to just run easy and forego my last workout. This is basically all I did until race day. I had a couple easy days right before where I mixed in some strides. All systems seemed ready and I was cautiously optimistic.

Selinda (wife) and I got to Chicago early on Friday. We didn’t get a ton of sleep but were pleasantly surprised the hotel let us check in Friday morning. We grabbed some breakfast and then went to our room and took a nap. When we got up, we headed to the expo. The expo went smoothly. The lady that checked us in was originally from Louisville, so we chatted a couple minutes. After the expo, we hung out at the park a bit and then walked up Michigan avenue and got an early dinner at Giordanos. Friday was fairly chill and Saturday was totally lazy. I got an ez 3 miles on Saturday morning. Ate breakfast, napped, watched college football, and generally did nothing. It was a very productive pre race day. We met some KorfEdge people for a great dinner and had a relaxing walk back to our hotel.

Sunday morning I got up and everything seemed great. I put my 325 temporary tattoo pace band on, signaling to myself that I was committing to race this thing. I planned to start behind the pace group, eventually catch them mid race and then potentially pass them late if things were going well. My PR is 3:25:04 so this seemed like a reasonable plan to me. If things got rough, I figured I could hold on for sub 3:35 and BQ.

Met some guys before the race and everything was going well. Got in the corral and found the 325 pace group. The pacers got to the starting line quite a bit before I did, and with me intentionally going slow mile 1 they were out of my sight pretty quickly. I wasn’t concerned because I knew they were probably only 30 seconds ahead and I’d eventually catch them. I picked up my pace during mile 2 and 3 and even dialed it down a bit because I didn’t want to overdo it early. Everything seemed good and I figured/assumed that the longer I ran the more my legs would warm up (loosen) and I’d have smooth sailing.

Around mile 6 or 7 I felt a little dull pain in my hamstring. I grabbed a sample bio freeze I had stashed away and quickly slapped it on to deal with it. I thought even if it was phantom pain, the menthol would mask it. After a couple miles it worsened, but I hoped it would just go away. I tried to shorten my stride. I remember not stopping at the medical tent around 9 and wishing I had. I knew there was another med tent coming after 10 so I started deciding what I might do. I wasn’t ready to quit… I was hoping they’d be encouraging and have a real solution for me. I stopped there and they just wrapped it tightly. I was out quick and was hopeful this might solve my problem. I certainly wanted to give it a try.

Over the next 2 miles I was trying to find a cadence that made everything feel normal. I felt like I was limping a bit and the dull pain wasn’t going anywhere. Also, I decided that if things got to feeling better by me slowing some, that I’d just throw out any time goals and finish the race. But if that wasn’t the case, I’d rather make my decision to pull the plug early before it was too late.

Things weren’t getting any better. In fact I was slowing down, obviously not running relaxed, and I was thinking about my hamstring every step. At this point I realized my wife would be somewhere around 12.5 miles on the course and we’d be within a few blocks of the hotel. Running another 14+ miles much slower than plan and in increasing pain didn’t sound all that fun or smart. Plus I knew I had a half marathon coming up in 3 weeks and if I felt good I’d have a shot at a PR. I figured if I gutted it out to the finish, I’d probably be sidelined a while and would only have a stubbornly earned medal to show for it. So I quickly made the decision that I’d just run until I saw her and then let her know I was pulling the plug.

It sucked quitting the race. It would’ve sucked more quitting late in the race. I doubt I would’ve been able to make the decision to DNF at mile 20 or later. It was an easier choice to make this decision when I did. Who knows if it was the right decision, but I felt like it was the smartest choice with the info I had.

As soon as I stopped running, the leg felt better. Walking on it was no issue. A few times (later in the day) I’d feel some pain if I misstepped off a curb or did anything else odd.

With all the detours, it took longer to get back to the room than I hoped. I had planned to change and try to get to the finish line to cheer some other runners. By the time I cleaned up, sulked, etc, I would’ve missed most of the Louisville runners at the finish. Instead, we just tracked everyone and celebrated all the finishers from our hotel.

Even with a DNF, Selinda and I had a great weekend. The weather was good and we had a nice relaxing time. There were plenty of great results by others, so it only makes sense that there would be some failures in there too. This was my turn to not have things not work perfectly. I got plenty of sympathy on Strava and in person. Several people offered me congrats because they saw my poster hanging out of my backpack, but I had to let them know I was unable to finish this year. There will be more races in the future.

This is a really long race report, especially considering I didn’t get to the halfway point. Count your blessings as this would’ve been way longer had I been able to finish the race. 😂

Chicago race report:

This was not what I hoped for. My goal was to run 3:25 in Chicago. It was my first race there since 3 straight from 2016 to 2018. Unfortunately I had my first DNF.
Sorry things didn't go as planned. But sounds like you made a good choice to take care of your body. And glad it was a good weekend even with the DNF. Good luck on the half in 3 weeks!

Chicago race report:

There were times during training that things seemed more difficult than they should’ve been. But late in the training cycle things started to click. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was real fitness gain, or a combination of the 2. The last few weeks of training were mostly strong. For my last long run I made a late decision to enter a 30k. My plan was not to race it, but to run a solid long run pace (for me, this would be MP + 40s or 8:29). Instead I averaged 8:08 and was conversational for 2/3rds of the race. This was a confidence boost 3 weeks out. 2 and 4 days later I crushed my workouts. So between the 30k and these 2 workouts, I was starting to feel really confident with a couple weeks to go before race day. 12 days out and I had 2 more workouts left. On Tuesday (12 days b4 race day) I had a 6x1 @ mp -10s. I felt really good and on mile #5 I felt a little something wrong in my hamstring. It was fairly dull, but I kept going and finished 5 and 6 pretty fast. During my cooldown, almost at the end, I felt something sharp in my hamstring. I immediately stopped and walked it in. Wednesday was my off day and Thursday was gonna be my final workout (10 at MP). I showed up and decided to just run easy and forego my last workout. This is basically all I did until race day. I had a couple easy days right before where I mixed in some strides. All systems seemed ready and I was cautiously optimistic.

Selinda (wife) and I got to Chicago early on Friday. We didn’t get a ton of sleep but were pleasantly surprised the hotel let us check in Friday morning. We grabbed some breakfast and then went to our room and took a nap. When we got up, we headed to the expo. The expo went smoothly. The lady that checked us in was originally from Louisville, so we chatted a couple minutes. After the expo, we hung out at the park a bit and then walked up Michigan avenue and got an early dinner at Giordanos. Friday was fairly chill and Saturday was totally lazy. I got an ez 3 miles on Saturday morning. Ate breakfast, napped, watched college football, and generally did nothing. It was a very productive pre race day. We met some KorfEdge people for a great dinner and had a relaxing walk back to our hotel.

Sunday morning I got up and everything seemed great. I put my 325 temporary tattoo pace band on, signaling to myself that I was committing to race this thing. I planned to start behind the pace group, eventually catch them mid race and then potentially pass them late if things were going well. My PR is 3:25:04 so this seemed like a reasonable plan to me. If things got rough, I figured I could hold on for sub 3:35 and BQ.

Met some guys before the race and everything was going well. Got in the corral and found the 325 pace group. The pacers got to the starting line quite a bit before I did, and with me intentionally going slow mile 1 they were out of my sight pretty quickly. I wasn’t concerned because I knew they were probably only 30 seconds ahead and I’d eventually catch them. I picked up my pace during mile 2 and 3 and even dialed it down a bit because I didn’t want to overdo it early. Everything seemed good and I figured/assumed that the longer I ran the more my legs would warm up (loosen) and I’d have smooth sailing.

Around mile 6 or 7 I felt a little dull pain in my hamstring. I grabbed a sample bio freeze I had stashed away and quickly slapped it on to deal with it. I thought even if it was phantom pain, the menthol would mask it. After a couple miles it worsened, but I hoped it would just go away. I tried to shorten my stride. I remember not stopping at the medical tent around 9 and wishing I had. I knew there was another med tent coming after 10 so I started deciding what I might do. I wasn’t ready to quit… I was hoping they’d be encouraging and have a real solution for me. I stopped there and they just wrapped it tightly. I was out quick and was hopeful this might solve my problem. I certainly wanted to give it a try.

Over the next 2 miles I was trying to find a cadence that made everything feel normal. I felt like I was limping a bit and the dull pain wasn’t going anywhere. Also, I decided that if things got to feeling better by me slowing some, that I’d just throw out any time goals and finish the race. But if that wasn’t the case, I’d rather make my decision to pull the plug early before it was too late.

Things weren’t getting any better. In fact I was slowing down, obviously not running relaxed, and I was thinking about my hamstring every step. At this point I realized my wife would be somewhere around 12.5 miles on the course and we’d be within a few blocks of the hotel. Running another 14+ miles much slower than plan and in increasing pain didn’t sound all that fun or smart. Plus I knew I had a half marathon coming up in 3 weeks and if I felt good I’d have a shot at a PR. I figured if I gutted it out to the finish, I’d probably be sidelined a while and would only have a stubbornly earned medal to show for it. So I quickly made the decision that I’d just run until I saw her and then let her know I was pulling the plug.

It sucked quitting the race. It would’ve sucked more quitting late in the race. I doubt I would’ve been able to make the decision to DNF at mile 20 or later. It was an easier choice to make this decision when I did. Who knows if it was the right decision, but I felt like it was the smartest choice with the info I had.

As soon as I stopped running, the leg felt better. Walking on it was no issue. A few times (later in the day) I’d feel some pain if I misstepped off a curb or did anything else odd.

With all the detours, it took longer to get back to the room than I hoped. I had planned to change and try to get to the finish line to cheer some other runners. By the time I cleaned up, sulked, etc, I would’ve missed most of the Louisville runners at the finish. Instead, we just tracked everyone and celebrated all the finishers from our hotel.

Even with a DNF, Selinda and I had a great weekend. The weather was good and we had a nice relaxing time. There were plenty of great results by others, so it only makes sense that there would be some failures in there too. This was my turn to not have things not work perfectly. I got plenty of sympathy on Strava and in person. Several people offered me congrats because they saw my poster hanging out of my backpack, but I had to let them know I was unable to finish this year. There will be more races in the future.

This is a really long race report, especially considering I didn’t get to the halfway point. Count your blessings as this would’ve been way longer had I been able to finish the race. 😂

Sorry to hear Chicago didn't go to plan for you, @cburnett11! I just wanted to say be very careful pushing that hamstring. Your comment about having another race in 3 weeks and pushing for a PR raised alarm bells.

Back in 2015 I was doing a very easy recovery run after a half and felt a pain in my hamstring. I had another half coming up in 2 weeks, so I pushed the stretching and strengthening exercise to be ready for it. I felt good on race day so I started out strong and after a couple of miles the hamstring started warning me it wasn't happy. I slowed down and it still let go entirely after 8 miles.

I ended up tearing the hamstring and was out of running for 6+ weeks with extensive PT work. When the PT released me to run again, it was at severely limited run/walk intervals. It ended up taking 8-9 months from the time of the tear to get back to full running capacity. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Whatever you decide to do with the hamstring and upcoming race, be careful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter