• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-board to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicken and bird phobia at animal kingdom

mardi_gras

Earning My Ears
I'm absolutely terrified of chickens and birds, flamingos, ducks, ostriches, big and small.

Our first trip to AK, my son and BIL left me at EE so they can enjoy the rest of the park. Next year, it'll be just my son and i, i know he'll hate me if he's not able to go to kilamanjaro and all that other attractions just because of his mom's phobia, which he doesn't understand at all why i'm so afraid of these harmless creatures. Which i can't explain why either.

I can only view the tree of life from afar, i'm so afraid to even go beyond the gate. Is there any chance i will encounter any bird, even sculpted ones scare me a lot, on the way to The Bug's Life attraction?

The kilamanjaro, are there birds, ostrich and flamingos, roaming with the other beasts? If there are, how far are they from the guests?

Would you suggest that i don't dare try oasis at all anymore? Or are the birds in cages anyway?

The pangani forest exploration trail? I see in wikipedia it has cranes and aviary, i suppose it's definitely a no no! If i'm to ride the kilamanjaro, i won't necessarily need to go through this pangani trail to escape/exit, right?

Rafiki's planet watch? Should i or not?

I'm absolutely terrified of chickens and birds, flamingos, ducks, ostriches, big and small.

Our first trip to AK, my son and BIL left me at EE so they can enjoy the rest of the park. Next year, it'll be just my son and i, i know he'll hate me if he's not able to go to kilamanjaro and all that other attractions just because of his mom's phobia, which he doesn't understand at all why i'm so afraid of these harmless creatures. Which i can't explain why either.

I can only view the tree of life from afar, i'm so afraid to even go beyond the gate. Is there any chance i will encounter any bird, even sculpted ones scare me a lot, on the way to The Bug's Life attraction?

The kilamanjaro, are there birds, ostrich and flamingos, roaming with the other beasts? If there are, how far are they from the guests?

Would you suggest that i don't dare try oasis at all anymore? Or are the birds in cages anyway?

The pangani forest exploration trail? I see in wikipedia it has cranes and aviary, i suppose it's definitely a no no! If i'm to ride the kilamanjaro, i won't necessarily need to go through this pangani trail to escape/exit, right?

Rafiki's planet watch? Should i or not?

With a phobia that serious, I would avoid AK altogether.

There are plenty of birds on Kilmanjaro and throughout the park. The exotic birds that live there, plus tons of local birds, like ducks, ibis, cranes, herons, buzzards, sparrows and the black grackles. Plus seagulls. The seagulls can get agressive if they spot someone with food.

If you have that severe a fear of birds to the point where you are frightened of artistic representations of birds, you'll have serious problems on the safari, definitely at outdoor eating areas like Flame Tree Cafe, and the Flights of Wonder show is definitely out. In fact I tend to agree with the previous poster and say I don't think you'll enjoy the park at all - not so much because of the exhibits (the ostriches do roam freely on the safari), but mostly because of the native birds.

It will be very hard to avoid birds at AK.

The Oasis has macaws and they are NOT in cages. No birds in AK are in cages.

The safari has flamingoes and ostriches. Sometimes the ostriches come very close to the safari vehicle; they are free to roam. The flamingoes typically hang out in a group on their little island-thing. I'm not sure if there is a way to exit/"escape" the safari after you're already on it unless it's an absolute emergency.

Pangani does have an aviary, but I can't recall if there's a way to avoid it. I think the trail takes you right through it. I know the bat area at Maharajah has an alternate route.

I am not quite sure what to tell you. It sounds to me like you will have to decide either to deal with it for the sake of your son or skip the park. At the point that you're avoiding some of the major attractions, it might not even be worth your time unless you have park hoppers.

In fact I tend to agree with the previous poster and say I don't think you'll enjoy the park at all - not so much because of the exhibits (the ostriches do roam freely on the safari), but mostly because of the native birds.

True, I didn't even think of the native birds. They can be really aggressive in the eating areas.

And yes there are TONS of bird exhibits throughout the whole park.

Oh, ok. I suppose i just won't dare try my luck on the safari and the likes anymore. And i'll just try to not eat at the seagulls plain sight. The ducks, i'll try to be on the look out for them, as i always do.

Thanks you all. I'd survived AK once and enjoyed it very much, esp. EE. Will try to do it again.

What about the tree of life? The bug's life? Is there a huge chance i'll come across a duck on the way there?

You can come across a duck anywhere. People feed them, so they are not afraid of approaching humans. This usually happens in food service areas, but you can see them crossing paths in any park.

Oh, ok. I suppose i just won't dare try my luck on the safari and the likes anymore. And i'll just try to not eat at the seagulls plain sight. The ducks, i'll try to be on the look out for them, as i always do.

Thanks you all. I'd survived AK once and enjoyed it very much, esp. EE. Will try to do it again.

What about the tree of life? The bug's life? Is there a huge chance i'll come across a duck on the way there?

Always a chance.

It will be very hard to avoid birds at AK.

I am not quite sure what to tell you. It sounds to me like you will have to decide either to deal with it for the sake of your son or skip the park. At the point that you're avoiding some of the major attractions, it might not even be worth your time unless you have park hoppers.

Now my son wants me to get rid of this phobia before next trip.

I had the same phobia for years (even feathers could set me off). I went to group therapy and it really helped me. I can now go through most of Animal Kingdom with little to no problem. Would not go into any sections dealing mainly with birds though. Went to therapy once a week for about ten weeks.

If you are speaking to me, I know what a bird phobia is. I could not go to the beach and when I worked in Manhattan, NY, I would have to walk blocks out my way through buildings so I would miss the pigeons. The therapy I went to started by having me look at pictures of birds and then slowly worked me up to other things to do. I would have to sit in my car and watch ducks in ponds and things like that. Eventually, I had a small stuffed on the corner of my desk (not that I could touch, but it was there). Therapy can help, but, it is not easy. I still could never be in a room with a bird nor ever touch one but brlieve me, it does help.

We encountered LOTS of ducks at Flame Tree. They were in the eating area before we even sat down. We have a picture of one almost resting his head on my mother's lap trying to get her to give him some food. We shooed them away but they came right back! THE NERVE!! LOL. We refused to feed them, so the people at the next table did. Next thing you know, not only did they have ducks but several other small birds gathering around their table--and they were NOT happy. Well, you fed 'em, what the heck do you expect????

I don't mean this in an offensive way but with a phobia that completely irrational you should probably seek treament.

Bless your heart. I have to wonder how you make it through the rest of the parks? We have problems with the birds just flying around the eating areas, especially in MK around Liberty square.

There are birds flying around every WDW park. They are unavoidable. Maybe instead of seeking ways to stay away from them you could seek therapy to face the issue and find ways to not let it rule your life. Memories with your son are with seeking treatment for this problem.

Compared to the other parks, there are more birds. But I don't think the ducks are any worse at AK than the other parks. So, that said, I think I'd give it a try. Take a Xanax and go for it! And therapy doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

There are birds flying around every WDW park. They are unavoidable. Maybe instead of seeking ways to stay away from them you could seek therapy to face the issue and find ways to not let it rule your life. Memories with your son are with seeking treatment for this problem.

Absolutely.

My daughter has a strong fear of birds I think because of fear of them perhaps plopping a little something on her :lmao: Anyway we did Wild Africa Treck and I had no idea it goes into the Aviary - boy did that stress her out. I didn't tell her I saw a bird drop a little something right beside her. :rotfl2: She survived but barely. One of the guides offered to let her leave that area but she stuck it out. We always try to avoid bird areas but I also try to keep some exposure to not over protect her. I hope to not have that grow into a worsening phobia over time. Now my snake phobia on the other hand...:scared: I agree though that there are birds all over AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter