Chicken and Dumplings

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
Does anyone have a "to-die-for" recipe for chicken and dumlings? I've searched over on the recipe board and came up with a couple, but would love to know if anyone else has a great recipe they would like to share. This is my DH's favorite meal and I would love to find a super recipe.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

Here is mine:
Cook the pieces of chicken you like (better with skin and bones for flavor) in water (seasoned with salt and pepper.) Bring to a boil and cook until falling off the bone. Remove chicken to plate to cool and cut off bone in bite size pieces. If the broth (THAT YOU SAVED) is messy looking, strain it. Otherwise just get it boiling. Take one can of those canned southern style biscuits, roll them flat in flour, and cut them into thin bite size bits and drop into boiling water. Keep it a gentle rolling boil until dumplings are done. If thin I add a little flour (1, 2, or 3 T.) that has been premixed in cold water in a jar and shook until smooth OR use Wondra flour. Add cut up chicken and serve. Yum.

Funny thing about chicken and dumplings. I guess there are 2 trains of thought on the consistancy of the dumpling.

Some like 'em flat
Some like 'em fluffy.

I wonder which is more correct? I was brought up on the fluffy variety and my husband was brought up on the flat variety.:confused:

These will fluff up while cooking. I think I will make some this week! I really had forgot about them!
I have a question. I have friends in NC who love "Chicken Pastry". Is it the same thing as chicken and dumplings? It sounds similiar:confused: !

I have never had any....maybe I should try it some night!!!

Had to comment on your post Muuskka. Where I'm originally from in Kentucky we call the flat ones sled runners. My favorite!
Tiggerlover, I think the key to great tasting chicken and dumplings is to use a chicken with lots of fat. Usually a hen. Boil it really good until tender. This should give you some great tasting broth. I make sled runners with all purpose flour, a tiny pinch of baking powder and then stir in ice water until a consistancy that you can roll out really thin. You will probably have to sprinkle your dough with flour to keep it from being too sticky to work with. Then cut into strips and add to your boiling broth. Good luck.:D

My recipe is is similiar to BBB, I sometimes use a whole chicken. Boil with chicken cubes, onion, celery, carrots. You can strain the broth and cut up the chicken & put back in the pot & add some cream of chicken soup. Then I use the Bisquick recipe, it makes the fluffy variety. It is a little tricky and I would be interested in something easier.
I had a friend growing up and her mom made the flat dumplings out of flour. They were good but I do not know how to make those.

I think the broth makes the difference between "good" and "to die for". Of course, you have to decide if you want to be flat or fluffy........

BBB -- I think chicken and pastry would be chicken pie, which is basically a thick chicken and dumplings in a pie crust.

I make mine just like BBB except I use a whole chicken and butter-me-not biscuits instead of southern style. I usually use two or even three cans of biscuits, which is too many dumplings, but one of my kids wants only dumplings. If there doesn't seem to be enough broth, add a little water or even a half can of broth before you heat it.

This is the way my dh's grandmother made this the last years of her life. Before that, she made the dumplings from scratch but she said no one could tell the difference when she switched to canned biscuits.

Or my side of the family, chicken and dumplings has milk in the sauce. Anyone else make them that way?

Here's what I do. I don't actually measure anything, but it's a forgiving recipe.

Put dark chicken pieces in the crock pot. (I use skinned thighs, but you can leave the skin on if you don't mind the fat.) Add some carrots (either baby carrots or carrots cut in half), celery, and onion. Also add about a cup of chicken broth. Cook on low until chicken is done (usually about 8 hours or so).

Take the chicken off the bone and shred it with 2 forks. (If you want to reduce the fat, strain the broth and put it in the fridge for a few hours or over night, and then scrape the fat off.) Combine the chicken, veggies, and broth. The broth is almost double-strength, so add water to taste. Also add pepper to taste. Pepper is what makes chicken broth really good. You can salt it if you need to.

Bring mixture to a boil in a sauce pan. To make dumplings, combine Bisquick and milk until it feels like dumplings. :) I think the amounts are on the box, but I just go by feel. I usually also add parsley to the dumplings. Use a spoon to drop clumps of batter in the soup, then simmer until done. I think it takes about 10 minutes. That part is one the Bisquick box, too.

If you want flat dumplings, you could probably use the canned bisquits that are in layers instead of Bisquick and separate each bisquit into about 2 or 3 dumplings.

isn't there a trick to the fluffy?

10 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered, or the other way around?

I'm from East Texas and we like our dumplings flat and chewy. I was surprised to see that at Cracker Barrel they serve the same kind of dumplings we love.

I don't have a recipe, but I cook skinless chicken breasts in canned chicken broth, remove the bones and cut into bite sized pieces. I make the dumplings by mixing shortening, flour a pinch of salt and cutting the shortening into the flour until there are small pieces of dough about the size of a pea. Then I add enough water to make a dough that you can knead. After the dough is smooth, roll out, cut into bitesize pieces and add to the boiling broth. When the dumplings are cooked through add the chicken back into the pan. This is how my dh likes his chicken and dumplings (he doesn't like dark meat)

Now you've gone and made me hungry! ;) I'm from the flat school of dumplin making. Actually, my mom makes the best ever. She rolls out canned biscuits until they are almost paper thin. Not sure exactly what the recipe is because she just does it.
You can also use flour tortillas and cut them into 1" strips. Not quite as good but fast and easy. If you dont tell....nobody will figure it out. :)

tiggerlover,

Here is a link to one of my all time favorite shows on Food TV (Food 911 w/ Tyler Florence--a super cutie pie). I have made this recipe a couple of times, and it is pretty yummy.

Chicken and Dumplings

Good Luck!

Darnit, another food post. You guys are driving me crazy! LOL! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter