• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Children under 5 Covid vaccination

My daughter will be just under 5 when we sail next month and won't be vaccinated. What are the requirements for testing for her? I assume she won't have to wear a mask in the kids club?
She will need a PCR or NAAT test done 3 days prior to the cruise, then another test will be conducted by Inspire at the port. Unvaccinated under 5’s are expected to wear a mask at the Club/Lab and at BBB.

My daughter will be just under 5 when we sail next month and won't be vaccinated. What are the requirements for testing for her? I assume she won't have to wear a mask in the kids club?

the current info on the DCL page says children 2-4 who are unvaccinated must wear masks in the clubs. Also that they are tested 2 times for cruises under 5 nights, they are tested 3 times for cruises 5 nights and longer.
5+ fully vaccinated and no masks. hoping for an update soon in regard to vaccinated kids under 5.

Another update. I finally did get the vaccine cards approved. It required me to upload the vaccine cards, copy of their vaccine trial participation cards, call safe passage and additionally provide a link to the FDA statement approving vaccines in the <5 year age group in the comments of my submission.

I am not able to 'upload' their antigen test results on the safe passage website, as it does not give me an option for the <5 year children. When I spoke about that to safe passage, they told me to just email it to them when it is done and bring electronic copies to the port just in case. I think I'll plan to bring all of the actual documents with me to port, including the vaccine cards, trial participation cards and the antigen test results. I don't want to take any chances. This took significant effort to push through, so just be prepared if you are in the same situation.

they are tested 3 times for cruises 5 nights and longer.
Just to clarify… that’s a pre-arrival PCR/NAAT 3 days prior to cruise date, an embarkation test provided by DCL at the port, and a test onboard on the last evening.

Just to clarify… that’s a pre-arrival PCR/NAAT 3 days prior to cruise date, an embarkation test provided by DCL at the port, and a test onboard on the last evening.
Yes, correct, but the onboard test is only required for cruises that are 5 nights or longer (unless it’s changed). Plus that test is done in your cabin—house call.

Another update. I finally did get the vaccine cards approved. It required me to upload the vaccine cards, copy of their vaccine trial participation cards, call safe passage and additionally provide a link to the FDA statement approving vaccines in the <5 year age group in the comments of my submission.

I am not able to 'upload' their antigen test results on the safe passage website, as it does not give me an option for the <5 year children. When I spoke about that to safe passage, they told me to just email it to them when it is done and bring electronic copies to the port just in case. I think I'll plan to bring all of the actual documents with me to port, including the vaccine cards, trial participation cards and the antigen test results. I don't want to take any chances. This took significant effort to push through, so just be prepared if you are in the same situation.
To be honest, I see why safe passage was confused here. From their perspective, they had no way to know you were in an advance trial until you submitted the data and probably assumed the cards were forged because the dates did not match up with the approval for the vaccines for the general public. Hence why they kept saying there was no under 5 option approved by Disney yet—because the vast majority of kids that age have not been able to be fully vaxxed yet. Not about you, more that forgery is a real problem they are probably seeing a fair amount of, and they are suspicious of anything outside their parameters.

To be honest, I see why safe passage was confused here. From their perspective, they had no way to know you were in an advance trial until you submitted the data and probably assumed the cards were forged because the dates did not match up with the approval for the vaccines for the general public. Hence why they kept saying there was no under 5 option approved by Disney yet—because the vast majority of kids that age have not been able to be fully vaxxed yet. Not about you, more that forgery is a real problem they are probably seeing a fair amount of, and they are suspicious of anything outside their parameters.
Maybe, except under 5s who were lucky enough to get Modern right when it approved have already started getting their second doses this week. So, while they have the two week wait to be fully vaccinated, there are valid vaccine cards out there now for under 5s that Disney should be accepting. Plus, they've had a full month to be aware that this was coming and update their policies accordingly. The fact that there hasn't been any communication about how this group's vaccination status will be handled is concerning; they've had more than enough time.

Thank you so much for your efforts and updates. I'm hoping that by the time more under 5s are vaccinated, it won't be so much of an issue.

Maybe, except under 5s who were lucky enough to get Modern right when it approved have already started getting their second doses this week. So, while they have the two week wait to be fully vaccinated, there are valid vaccine cards out there now for under 5s that Disney should be accepting. Plus, they've had a full month to be aware that this was coming and update their policies accordingly. The fact that there hasn't been any communication about how this group's vaccination status will be handled is concerning; they've had more than enough time.
Exactly this. We sail end of August, more than two months after approval, and I really hope we don't have to go through all this mess.

Correct, our daughter gets her second Moderna shot today. Not looking for Disney to be heavy handed and don’t much care what others do, but I do want her to be considered vaxxed in time for our September cruise so she doesn’t have to mask in the kids clubs, etc.

Correct, our daughter gets her second Moderna shot today. Not looking for Disney to be heavy handed and don’t much care what others do, but I do want her to be considered vaxxed in time for our September cruise so she doesn’t have to mask in the kids clubs, etc.
Right. This is what's still on the website:

"Currently, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible Guests (based on US eligibility requirements) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at the time of sailing. This is a requirement for all Guests (US and international) ages 5 and older."

According to US eligibility requirements, everyone can now be vaccinated. They need to address this and revise the wording on their policy.

Edit to add: I sent Disney and email requesting guidance since their website doesn't mention this age group, and also sent a link to the Moderna FDA approval. Maybe if more people do this, they'll update the site!

Last edited:
Face covering for unvaccinated kids in the club are currently required.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/experience-updates/on-the-ship-us/

As of 7/20/2022
Face Coverings
Face coverings are not required for Guests outdoors while on board the ship and at designated locations on our private island, Disney Castaway Cay. Face coverings are optional in most indoor locations throughout the ship. Guests under 5 years of age who are currently ineligible to be vaccinated will be required to wear face coverings in Youth Activity spaces and in the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique; and, while not required, we continue to strongly recommend these Guests wear a face covering in all other indoor locations. Face coverings are required on motorcoach transportation and in the Disney Cruise Line Terminal and may be required in ports of call based on local government requirements.
(Sorry for the repost. I thought I was on the last page and thought no one had replied, but there was a page 3)

Right. This is what's still on the website:

"Currently, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible Guests (based on US eligibility requirements) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at the time of sailing. This is a requirement for all Guests (US and international) ages 5 and older."

According to US eligibility requirements, everyone can now be vaccinated. They need to address this and revise the wording on their policy.
The fact that peewee Pfizer is 3 doses, 13 weeks to fully vaccinated is undoubtedly part of this delay. None of their language about what's considered fully vaccinated references a three dose vaccine and they will presumably hold off on a mandate for this group until mid September to account for the 13 weeks from approval. In our area, Pfizer was much easier to get your hands on, so folks went with what they could get even if it meant waiting that extra 8 weeks to be fully vaxxed.

That said, it's been a month, plenty of time to make decisions about how the Pfizer 3-dose complication should be handled. Time to communicate with your customers!

How do they know who is fully vaccinated in the kids club?

i read they have a wristband…..but can’t confirm it. My last cruise I never noticed it—too many kids in pool area all moving too fast. Maybe it’s on the dcl wristband when they scan in.

This concerns me… the vaccine is available for 2 years plus in the US so I hope DCL doesn’t start requiring it for younger children.

"Currently, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible Guests (based on US eligibility requirements)

This concerns me… the vaccine is available for 2 years plus in the US so I hope DCL doesn’t start requiring it for younger children.

"Currently, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible Guests (based on US eligibility requirements)
I think CDC approval starts at 6 months, not 2 years

I think CDC approval starts at 6 months, not 2 years
You are right.

Right now, I am planning based on the assumption that kids 6 months and up will eventually be treated same as any other guest, with same expectations and protocols.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter