• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Children under 5 Covid vaccination

This concerns me… the vaccine is available for 2 years plus in the US so I hope DCL doesn’t start requiring it for younger children.

"Currently, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible Guests (based on US eligibility requirements)
Disney isn't going to change the requirements without ample notice.

But I'd get that first dose scheduled just the same.

It’s tricky because the US is the only country that allows 6 months - 5 years old children. Other countries haven’t approved it yet.

It’s tricky because the US is the only country that allows 6 months - 5 years old children. Other countries haven’t approved it yet.
True. I think that Disney is grappling with a decision. They either have to require vaccines as now for all vaccine eligible guests, which will be all guests over 6 months. That will be hard to do since as it now stands only 3% of vaccine eligible under 5s have gotten one dose. They have already been hurt by the low uptake for the 5-11 age group. Their other 2 choices are do nothing, which will frustrate people who have their kids vaccinated as well as those who look at it as a double standard. Or they drop all vaccine requirements sooner rather than later. Hard to know what path they will go down. It will probably depend on what the other cruise lines do, although some of them don’t require for the under 12s so it is easier for them.

Disney's policy regarding other guests that age doesn't matter to me, honestly. I just want to ensure that my child, who WILL be fully vaccinated at the time of our cruise, is treated the same way as any other fully vaccinated guest in regards to testing and masking. He won't mask and I don't want to drive to the cruise port not knowing if we can sail. We went through the trouble to get him vaccinated (and finding an appointment so early where I live required a lot of effort), so the fact that DCL isn't even acknowledging that this age group CAN get vaccinated right now is unacceptable.

They placed a blue sticker on my sons wristband to indicate he was an unvaccinated under 5.

We just started the Pfizer vacaciones for him, since it’s the only one available at his pediatrician’s office. We hope he will be considered fully vaxxed for our thanksgiving cruise because he had a total meltdown during the stateroom covid test the 4th night of our last cruise. I hope they accept his vaccination for the next cruise so we don’t have to go through that again.

They placed a blue sticker on my sons wristband to indicate he was an unvaccinated under 5.

We just started the Pfizer vacaciones for him, since it’s the only one available at his pediatrician’s office. We hope he will be considered fully vaxxed for our thanksgiving cruise because he had a total meltdown during the stateroom covid test the 4th night of our last cruise. I hope they accept his vaccination for the next cruise so we don’t have to go through that again.
My son has finally stopped screaming when other people give him the test, but still throws a fit if I have to test him. Would really rather not drag him away from activities to test before leaving.

My son has finally stopped screaming when other people give him the test, but still throws a fit if I have to test him. Would really rather not drag him away from activities to test before leaving.
Exactly our situation. We had to leave the Lightyear movie early. He is way better with someone else doing the test, but it's a total meltdown if I or my husband do it.

Disney's policy regarding other guests that age doesn't matter to me, honestly. I just want to ensure that my child, who WILL be fully vaccinated at the time of our cruise, is treated the same way as any other fully vaccinated guest in regards to testing and masking. He won't mask and I don't want to drive to the cruise port not knowing if we can sail. We went through the trouble to get him vaccinated (and finding an appointment so early where I live required a lot of effort), so the fact that DCL isn't even acknowledging that this age group CAN get vaccinated right now is unacceptable.
We are in the same boat and this is so frustrating. It took a lot of effort to get moderna right when it came out so my newly 2 year old could be vaccinated by the time we cruise. It still isn't available in my area for under 3 year old so luckily we have trips planned to an area that he can his second dose without me having to drive over 4 hours just to get it. And it's looking like it won't even matter.

We are in the same boat and this is so frustrating. It took a lot of effort to get moderna right when it came out so my newly 2 year old could be vaccinated by the time we cruise. It still isn't available in my area for under 3 year old so luckily we have trips planned to an area that he can his second dose without me having to drive over 4 hours just to get it. And it's looking like it won't even matter.
Uggggh. Thankfully we only (!) had to drive an hour to get to a pediatrician that ordered it. There was also a vaccine clinic offered later, but it didn't have appointments and we didn't want to risk them running out.
I won't be vaccinating my kids but it's not being offered to under 5's here in the UK anyway as it's not approved. They've both had it without incidence so I'm leaving them well alone.
Cool. Disney still needs to address that some kids under 5 CAN be vaccinated now.

I can 100% guarantee Disney will get rid of vaccine passports (at least for children under 12 soon). This is what most countries (Europe in general) is doing. They might keep the testing prior to boarding, but the vaccine requirement for children will probably be axed soon.

I can 100% guarantee Disney will get rid of vaccine passports (at least for children under 12 soon). This is what most countries (Europe in general) is doing. They might keep the testing prior to boarding, but the vaccine requirement for children will probably be axed soon.
Even if this is the case, the children who ARE vaccinated should be treated that way in regards to testing and masking. My vaccinated kid shouldn't have to test twice beforehand and during the cruise if vaccinated adults are not doing the same thing.

Even if this is the case, the children who ARE vaccinated should be treated that way in regards to testing and masking. My vaccinated kid shouldn't have to test twice beforehand and during the cruise if vaccinated adults are not doing the same thing.

I don't want to go off topic, but the reason that most European countries are getting rid of that is because enforcing passports did not really change the outcomes.
Vaccinated (kids or adults) can get and transmit covid, so that won't prevent contamination/spread in the ship. So What I think they will do is to get rid vaccine mandates all together and test both kids and adults before boarding. They might still be negative when boarding when they have the virus (incubation period), so at the end of the day, but that might reduce the likelihood of transmission but does not eliminate).

Covid won't go away, unfortunately. you can't contain a highly contagious respiratory virus.

Canada has approved one of them but, as far as I know, has yet to actually get children’s doses to any province to actually get shots in arms.

Not really sure you can 100% guarantee that...however if they are only allowing vaccinated kids to be unmasked in kids club - if I am going through the decision, time and effort to have my 3 year old vaccinated, he should be treated the same as 5+ and not have to wear a mask in the kids club. He already had covid within 90 days of leaving so he wont have to test but I'd like him to not have to wear a mask when his sister doenst have to. And all the other kids that are getting their vaccine shouldn't have to worry about testing twice before boarding either.

Not really sure you can 100% guarantee that...however if they are only allowing vaccinated kids to be unmasked in kids club - if I am going through the decision, time and effort to have my 3 year old vaccinated, he should be treated the same as 5+ and not have to wear a mask in the kids club. He already had covid within 90 days of leaving so he wont have to test but I'd like him to not have to wear a mask when his sister doenst have to. And all the other kids that are getting their vaccine shouldn't have to worry about testing twice before boarding either.

I am telling you, just wait a few months, you can quote me on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter