Children under 5 Covid vaccination

Yes, the Pfizer vaccine for the little ones is considered a 3-dose series with all 3 shots necessary to complete the series. The 3rd shot for ages 12+ is a booster, maybe 5-11 as well? But the little ones need 3 shots of Pfizer. And “fully vaccinated” is 2 weeks (14 days) after the last shot.

The Moderna vaccine for that age group is only a 2-dose series.
Add a little history to that. When Pfizer did their 2-shot clinical trial, the data didn’t show enough result with just 2-shot. So they extended the clinical trial, did 3-shot, and that was what was approved.

Moderna vaccine was highly sought after, harder to book in the first week that was available, due to that difference. Now it’s available in most places.

Update: we did Covid test with OnPoint proctoring on Saturday morning. Got our negative report within 15 minutes. Uploaded to safe passage right away. DW, DD7, me was approved after 12 hours, no word on DS4.

36hrs later, after some emails with safe passage, DS4’s Covid neg test was approved. We are clear to sail.

Update: we did Covid test with OnPoint proctoring on Saturday morning. Got our negative report within 15 minutes. Uploaded to safe passage right away. DW, DD7, me was approved after 12 hours, no word on DS4.

36hrs later, after some emails with safe passage, DS4’s Covid neg test was approved. We are clear to sail.
Great to hear. Have a great cruise!

Hilariously, I just got one of those form e-mails from DCL about testing for our cruise, and it still uses the same "ineligible due to age" language. :rolleyes2 He's clear to arrive so I'm just going by what Safe Passage says now.

Also, it's a week after he was exposed at daycare and he's still negative. Now we just need the other three adults in our party to stay negative. 🙏

Another update: I got a response to my initial email from Shoreside Guest Services stating in writing that my son would be treated like all other vaccinated passengers in regards to testing, and if I'm unable to upload results, to bring them to the testing tent. So that's that.

Sent in all our vaccine cards Sunday, everyone but my 3yo twin sons was approved Tuesday. Called Safe Passage this morning, was told under 5 cards were being reviewed by a separate department and were taking an average of four days.

Did son's OnPoint test this morning. It was super easy and he (thankfully) was very cooperative. Got our results immediately and just uploaded them to Safe Passage. I can't believe we dodged a bullet on him catching Covid from daycare.
Great news! I know our last cruise Covid was going around at my husbands work luckily he didn’t catch it. It’s so nerve wrecking. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Great news! I know our last cruise Covid was going around at my husbands work luckily he didn’t catch it. It’s so nerve wrecking. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.
Thank you! We have been testing him non-stop since last week. We caught Covid in June and he didn't catch it, either. He catches everything else from daycare. He got roseola his first week there and RSV earlier in the year.

We are still waiting on my mom to test. I feel like I'm going to throw up waiting. :P

Did son's OnPoint test this morning. It was super easy and he (thankfully) was very cooperative. Got our results immediately and just uploaded them to Safe Passage. I can't believe we dodged a bullet on him catching Covid from daycare.
That's awesome! Enjoy your vacation!

We both work full time jobs with the public and my sons been in daycare for awhile - in fact I'm pretty sure he gave ME covid from those kids! @nancipants can you review with me how to do this so we can get on the ship easily. Last time I had to take him to the pediatrician to get his covid test.

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new topic just for this question, but does anyone know if the cost for these proctored tests through OnPoint/Inspire are reimbursable through medical insurance? If not, I would imagine they would be a qualifying expense for FSA/HSA reimbursement?

We both work full time jobs with the public and my sons been in daycare for awhile - in fact I'm pretty sure he gave ME covid from those kids! @nancipants can you review with me how to do this so we can get on the ship easily. Last time I had to take him to the pediatrician to get his covid test.
If he's vaccinated, he can do the antigen test two days in advance. We made an appointment through OnPoint and did a zoom chat with a proctor. She instructed me when to open the box and then I just swabbed my son, making sure he was in view of the camera.

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new topic just for this question, but does anyone know if the cost for these proctored tests through OnPoint/Inspire are reimbursable through medical insurance? If not, I would imagine they would be a qualifying expense for FSA/HSA reimbursement?
Whether or not the proctoring service is reimbursable by your medical insurance depends on your policy. Many US health insurances do NOT cover testing for travel but some don't specify.

Covid-19 test kits are eligible for FSA/HSA. So you can use FSA/HSA to purchase the test (if you don't have free tests available to use). I don't believe the cost for online proctoring is FSA/HSA eligible. I'm not sure how or if that works when the online service also sells you the test. I know I have to buy home tests through a specific pharmacy if I want it reimbursable.

If he's vaccinated, he can do the antigen test two days in advance. We made an appointment through OnPoint and did a zoom chat with a proctor. She instructed me when to open the box and then I just swabbed my son, making sure he was in view of the camera.

My baby is 2 if he’s unvaccinated

Unvaccinated children need a PCR/NAAT test 3 days prior to embarkation (paid by you). Then at port he will be tested again (paid by DCL).

Details are on the DCL website Know Before You Go

My family is going on the Wish in October. My two year old granddaughter just had covid and is not vaccinated. Can she do a 90 day recovery letter and also include her positive test and not have to be tested before the the cruise or at the port? Any information would be very helpful.

My family is going on the Wish in October. My two year old granddaughter just had covid and is not vaccinated. Can she do a 90 day recovery letter and also include her positive test and not have to be tested before the the cruise or at the port? Any information would be very helpful.
Yes she can. My son is 3 and vaccinated but they still approved his 90 day recovery letter so he does not need to do any testing. You need a lab based pcr or NAAT test showing a positive result and then a recovery letter on letterhead including the doctor name, number and address. This letter can not be dated within 5 days of your positive test. You’ll upload both in safe passage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter