• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Children's fanny pack or backpack

kghigh

Earning My Ears
My children are 6 & 8 yo. I am hoping that they can take some sort of bag to carry their own water bottle and autograph book. What do you use? Bonus points if you can suggest where to find suggested item in Canada. TIA

At 6 and 8 they can carry their own backpack . we usually bring 2 backpacks in for 6 people and everyone alternates carrying them. It contains extra clothes, sunscreen, water bottles, snacks, bandaids, and any medicines we may need. With the ages of your kids I'm sure one bag is plenty to rotate so noone gets stuck holding it all day. Have fun.

Maybe they could use some sort of cinch backpack. they are small and light weight. You can find Disney themed ones on etsy.

For a boy - I'd suggest a cinch sac. For a girl - either a cinch sac or a cross body bag. Fanny packs aren't big enough to hold a water bottle typically, unless you get one designed for hiking and those tend to be higher priced items and bulkier than what you need.

I have to admit, though, while I'm an advocate of the philosophy that no healthy child should in a stroller over the age of 4, I'm not sure making a 6 year old carry their own stuff all day is in your best interest. I might make an 8 year old carry their own stuff. I hate carrying stuff all day - it makes ME tired! You might consider ONE family backpack. You can be a dictator about how much stuff actually goes in it each morning to save on weight. If the kids have their own bags - you may be carrying their bags by the end of the day - plus whatever you bring.

I like the cross body idea. That way you do not have to remove them on every ride and possibly leave them behind. Vera Bradley has all sizes with comfortable straps too

My 4 year old carries a tiny Jansport backpack that we found at the outlet. My 10 year old carries a cinch bag.

My kids are similar ages. 6 & 9. I'm planning to carry one family backpack for all of us. Realistically, I know if I gave them anything to carry I'd be the one to end up carrying it all day after the first ten minutes! That said, I am thinking of putting 2 cinch sacks in my backpack to test it out the first day at the parks.

My kids didn't carry anything at the parks. I took my purse or a small backpack.

We don't carry water bottles ever. Ice water is free anywhere that fountain drinks are sold.

Our first trip we used fanny packs where all they could fit was some snacks for the day and maybe their sunglasses. The second trip they didn't want the fanny packs so they carried a cinch-style string back pack. We ended up liking that better because they could carry their own extra stuff...sweatshirt, water bottle, snacks, flip flops. It worked out really well. We did not want a larger standard backpack. I think those would have been too bulky, heavy and hot especially after several hours in the parks.

DH and I swap a family backpack with all our crud. We are planning on one water bottle for now as ice water is available for free in most places. The only place I might change that is AK because I know we might get soaked on the KRR and we'll need a change of clothes (or swim outfits to change into before riding) so we'll have more to carry. Probably would look at using some smaller backpacks or cinchbags we have around.

My DS was 5 the first time he carried his own backpack. It was a small, 2 zippered I found at Walmart. It was perfect for his sweater, toys (ones purchased at the parks) and the ocational Powerade. Since I always take my resort mugs with me, I used those for our free ice water and sometimes lemonade. (Crystal light packs) Next time we go he will be 8 with his same back back that we have added pins of his choosing. My DD will be 5 so I am planning for her to carry her own too. Something small about 12 inches or so, probably from Walmart too :rotfl:

This thread is great... this is our first trip without a stroller and I am realizing that the kids are going to have to wear a small bag or else my back is going to break!! and I feel much less guilty about the 12 year olds carrying their own things. I probably won't have the 7 year old carry anything although she is a fashionista and might want to. I still am going to miss the stroller for putting all our stuff in... As you might realize I suck at packing light!! :rotfl:

We purchased a Disney backpack from American Tourister and are planning to use it to hold everything. My husband will carry it all day. We don't plan on taking a ton of things, but since my kiddos are very small, we will require some items on hand.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I wouldn't make them carry anything unless they want to (and then, only if they REALLY want to). They may think they like the idea of having their own bag, but they don't understand what that bag is going to feel like after a few hours in the hot sun. My kids have to carry their own backpacks through the airport (out of necessity) but for a whole day in the parks - no way. I don't even like having to carry anything. My daughters are 6 and 8 as well, and they will get hot and tired enough without any extra weight. Also, straps from backpacks, especially the strings on cinch bags, can get uncomfortable and scratchy after a while. It's also a big responsibility for them to have to keep track of the bag (on and off rides, after eating, during bathroom breaks). Sure, you can remind them (if you remember) but I find it much easier to throw everything into one backpack and be done. No, I'm not a pack mule. But my kids are on vacation too - I want things to go as smoothly as possible.

If you do decide to have them carry their own bags, either stick to your guns and make them carry it all day (and make sure they understand that beforehand), or get smaller bags that you can fit into a larger backpack if they decide they absolutely can't carry it anymore.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I wouldn't make them carry anything unless they want to (and then, only if they REALLY want to). They may think they like the idea of having their own bag, but they don't understand what that bag is going to feel like after a few hours in the hot sun. My kids have to carry their own backpacks through the airport (out of necessity) but for a whole day in the parks - no way. I don't even like having to carry anything. My daughters are 6 and 8 as well, and they will get hot and tired enough without any extra weight. Also, straps from backpacks, especially the strings on cinch bags, can get uncomfortable and scratchy after a while. It's also a big responsibility for them to have to keep track of the bag (on and off rides, after eating, during bathroom breaks). Sure, you can remind them (if you remember) but I find it much easier to throw everything into one backpack and be done. No, I'm not a pack mule. But my kids are on vacation too - I want things to go as smoothly as possible.

If you do decide to have them carry their own bags, either stick to your guns and make them carry it all day (and make sure they understand that beforehand), or get smaller bags that you can fit into a larger backpack if they decide they absolutely can't carry it anymore.
I agree with you 100%. No way do I even want to carry a backpack around lol. My husband and I will NOT be taking turns. He always carries everything for us. I imagine the extra weight would make me even more hot & tired. Again, my boys are really small and only need to keep up with their magic bands :)

Our boys, 7 & 9 last trip used sinch sacks. Easy and lightweight drawstring backpacks. You can find them at Target, Dollar Tree, Five and Below, and more expensive brands at any sports store. Since I am not sure what you have accessible in Canada, you can stop by a Walmart or Target once you get to WDW. Assuming you're are driving. If you're not driving online shopping may be your best option. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter