Choosing a restaurant more for the resort it's in

epcotobsessed

DIS Veteran
Just curious how many of you do this? I doubt many people choose a restaurant solely because of the resort it's in but, for instance, we make a point to go to Jiko or Sanaa every trip both because we love the restaurants but also because we love walking around AKL. This trip I am struggling between California Grill and Narcoosee's as our last undecided dinner - I think California Grill is the better restaurant but I much prefer walking around the GF so I am leaning toward Narcoosee's. Anyone else factor in the resort?

I feel like when we first tried Ohana we did so because of the theming and the resort but then after going we continue to go because of the food. It would make total sense to pick an AKL restaurant if you've never been to see that resort. It's not a resort you can just hop on a monorail or quick bus ride to but it's a resort that everyone should take time to see!
As for your situation. Sind they are only a monorail ride away, I'd go to California Grill and then head to GF for a drink and walk around the resort afterwards. California Grill is the one on the top that plays the music during the fireworks, correct?

I don't necessarily choose the restaurant based on its location, but i do agree it is nice when a restaurant you like is in a location that might offer more than just dinner. Makes it easier to return to that restaurant.... So maybe it does play a role when making dining... LOL

BTW - I vote for Narcoossee's over Cali Grill. That is my preference. If you haven't been in a while, check out the Yachtsman, they have changed the menu a bit recently...

I don't necessarily choose the restaurant based on its location, but i do agree it is nice when a restaurant you like is in a location that might offer more than just dinner. Makes it easier to return to that restaurant.... So maybe it does play a role when making dining... LOL

BTW - I vote for Narcoossee's over Cali Grill. That is my preference. If you haven't been in a while, check out the Yachtsman, they have changed the menu a bit recently...
Yachtsman is our absolute favorite and we will be staying at BCV so we will be going there for sure! New menu sounds exciting.

Not sure of your trip timing but will the new lounge be open at GF? If so, and if time allows, I'd go there for a pre dinner drink and then hop on the monorail for dinner at CG.

I have dinner at 1900 Park Fare but plan to stop at Trader Sam's for a pre dinner cocktail. Resorts were a definite consideration with those plans.

Yachtsman is our absolute favorite and we will be staying at BCV so we will be going there for sure! New menu sounds exciting.
Yachtmans and Ca Grill Brunch were the favorites of my last trip. This trip we do not have a car with us so ,we are not doing quite as much resort traveling as it tends to take up rather large junks of time while depending on Disney transportation.

Not sure of your trip timing but will the new lounge be open at GF? If so, and if time allows, I'd go there for a pre dinner drink and then hop on the monorail for dinner at CG.

I have dinner at 1900 Park Fare but plan to stop at Trader Sam's for a pre dinner cocktail. Resorts were a definite consideration with those plans.
We are there end of July/beginning of August. Do you know when it's supposed to open?

I feel like when we first tried Ohana we did so because of the theming and the resort but then after going we continue to go because of the food. It would make total sense to pick an AKL restaurant if you've never been to see that resort. It's not a resort you can just hop on a monorail or quick bus ride to but it's a resort that everyone should take time to see!
As for your situation. Sind they are only a monorail ride away, I'd go to California Grill and then head to GF for a drink and walk around the resort afterwards. California Grill is the one on the top that plays the music during the fireworks, correct?
Great Idea !

Yup, we almost always choose the restaurant based on where it's located. But I hate wasting time traveling all over just for a meal (none of the restaurants are that good...).

That said, for a monorail resort you won't waste too much time if you want to eat at your top choice and then wander another hotel before/after. Assuming the monorail is behaving ;)

I don't think we have ever picked a restaurant because of the location. I can see why some might.
We will often pick restaurants that are closer to the resort we are staying. When we stay at AKL, we always have a meal at Boma and Jiko.
At Boardwalk, Flying Fish, Bluezoo or Il Mulino.

I’m planning to tour the monorail resorts to see the decorations this Christmas, and we will eat at a QS restaurant at one of those because we will be there. 😉

For years, we ate at the Kona Cafe at least once per trip because we were staying at the Poly. It was convenient, and it was good. We ate at 'Ohana the first time for the same reason. Over the years we have stayed elsewhere, and ate at the "local" restaurant (Yachtsman, Captain's Grille, The Wave, California Grille, Narcoosee's, Citrico's, etc...) Now we're more interested in cuisine than convenience. So, we'll take the time to travel to restaurants we like, regardless of where they are located.

I plan our trips several trips ahead of time so we have eaten at a lof of the hotel restaurants just to we can scope out the hotel and discuss the possibility of staying there. It the girls love of Ohana that made them decide on asking for The Poly on our next trip. And this can backfire. I have always had a childhood love of the Contemp and would like to stay there. But while loving the California Grill the tour of the Contemp keeps them vetoing a trip there. They don't think its Disney enough.

I've never eaten at a restaurant solely for its location - I eat there because I want to eat the food. However, if I have a few to choose from, I might then select the one that has a location I feel I might like better or which is more convenient to where I am. But for us, the restaurant selection must come first and it must be for the food. Location is secondary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter