Choosing FP when not everyone will ride?

deedeew80

Dreaming of My Prince
I still have some time before my FP window in 49 days, but I need to start planning what I am going to choose. Here is my problem. It will be me, DH, DD8, and DS6. DH & DS don't do any thrill rides. So they won't be doing Mine Train, Slinky Dog, FOP, ToT, Soarin, etc. So when I get FP for these attractions, do I get us each one and DD & I can ride twice? Or do I use DH & DS FP for something else, whether for them or us? What do others do when everyone in their party doesn't ride? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've done both.
If there is something they want to do, I would get it for them first. If not, then use them for you and DD

Sometimes I split us into 2 groups and we do different attractions at the same time then meet up after. (My daughter and I go to Voyage of the Little Mermaid while my husband a son go to Star Tours)
If just one isn’t riding we get a Fastpass for that person and just burn it so we can all stay in line together. (My daughter HATES TOT but likes the line experience so she goes through it all but just doesn’t ride)

I don’t think you’re allowed to transfer magic bands / fast passes

I don’t think you’re allowed to transfer magic bands / fast passes
If you are in the park with someone that does not want to ride something then you can trade MB or card and someone else in the group can ride twice. the person that you are using there FP must be in the park and they must scan there MB or card to enter the park for the day.

We split up. My daughter loves rollercoasters and thrill rides, my son hates anything with even a tiny hill. I don't think it is fair to him to not get his allotment of fast passes - quite honestly it never occurred to me to do that anyway. I'll make our fast passes so that DH and DD ride a coaster and DS and I ride something easy nearby. Then, later, DD and I will ride a coaster while DH takes DS on another easy ride.

You can set FP for each person individually so that they are doing any and all things independently if you want. My DS rode Space Mountain while I whipped up on Zurg for Buzz Lightyear a week ago. Or you can stay together and swap them around as long as everyone is in the park. It is really a pretty good system, but I do miss the paper versions sometimes as we use to get some on our way out and hand them to someone just coming in. It was great!

Just to piggy back on this thread: So if I made FP for my DS3 and me to go do something else while everyone else rode something he was too short for, would I still be able to get a rider switch pass? Or do I need to show the CM a FP to get the rider switch? I've heard different things.

I was planning on asking this same exact question as our FP booking date got closer! So glad to hear about the transfer option. DH gets nauseous practically walking, I can’t imagine what rides he’d go on with my youngest while me and my oldest are on the coasters!

I find a ride nearby my son will enjoy. Your entire party doesn't need to FP the same ride, they can go on TSMM while you ride SDD, etc...

My DS has not been into thrill rides either (and I don't particularly care for them) so I have booked separate fast passes for DD and DH than my DS and myself. That way, everyone gets to choose what they want to do. I try to book the not together fast passes at the same window so we aren't separated too long.

When you go to book fastpasses you get to choose who in your party you are choosing for before searching so it is pretty easy to do.

I have also done both. Last trip my twins were little so I would book a thrill ride for me and our oldest son and something more tame for hubby and the twins at the same time and then we'd meet back up when everyone was done. This trip my in-laws are coming and they aren't into rides in general (they are coming to watch the kids have a great time!). So I booked FP for 7 people, me and three kids will ride FOP for example, then we'll come out and my in-laws and hubby will hand off their magic bands so our teenager can take the twins on FOP a second time within the same FP window. In-laws, hubby and I can then do some shopping or have a coffee while we wait for the three kids to finish their second ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter