Christina Aguilera is a complete embarrassment

I cut her some slack at first -- after all, it proved she was singing live, and I thought she sounded fine otherwise, considering the overall environment.

Then I heard that she has screwed it up multiple times. I don't see disrespect in a mistake, but once you've made it, you'd better not make it again, because then it IS disrespectful to not have prepared. Cue cards, crib notes... you don't take the job and just hope that this time you'll remember the words.

That said, kudos for singing live. You can't compare her performance to Whitney's because Whitney pre-recorded hers -- apples and oranges.

You know, I wonder why she just didn't lip synch it.

Update:It turns out Christina Aguilera is perfectly capable of delivering a first-class rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner." And, in fact, she did so in Cowboys Stadium in Texas over the weekend. One problem: Christina nailed the song in her rehearsal on Saturday, one day before her botched performance before millions of viewers.

Probably none but I'm going to venture a guess and say that there isn't a professional, Grammy winning performing artist among us.

True, but even professional, Grammy winning performers have off days and most professionals still get stage fright. I mean, lets be real here, that is an extremely hard song to sing.

I heard on the radio this morning that they will probably go back to lip snycing the song. They said that is what they used to do and stopped somewhere along the lines. Maybe that is why Whitney's performance was so great?

For those of you who find it disrespectful what us Chicagoans do during the National Anthem this is why it's done: In 1991 days after the first Gulf war started the NHL all star game was held in Chicago Stadium. The game was broadcast live to the troops in the Middle East, and the crowd knew it. Here's a video. (Also enjoy the great Wayne Messmer who I miss very much.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpxVE_kQXg

It became tradition to cheer for our country and our troops. You don't have to LIKE it, but to call it disrespectful is just flat out WRONG. It's nothing BUT respect, love, and pride.

It was always a treat to hear the National Anthem before a Blackhawks game in old Chicago Stadium.

Jim

She made a MISTAKE end of story, Everyone on the Dis boards have made them would you want us to make a post about it, saying what a disgrace you were.

She is a professional singer who makes quite a bit of money. I don't buy the "stage fright" or "lack of practice" as an excuse.

I go to Broadway on a regular basis. These people get paid a small fraction of these Hollywood types, yet they are always well prepared - I have never seen anyone flub a line.

Bottom line - if you want to be a "star" you have to do your homework.

I totally agree! :thumbsup2

I mean, really, how many posters here can even sing the Star Spangled Banner? It is one of the hardest songs to sing!

I don't call myself a professional singer. I don't ask for a lot of money to perform. Please tell me you are not saying she should be judged like an ordinary non-singer??:rolleyes:

I don't call myself a professional singer. I don't ask for a lot of money to perform. Please tell me you are not saying she should be judged like an ordinary non-singer??:rolleyes:

It's not like they asked her at the last minute to sing. She had plenty of time to practice.

She made a MISTAKE end of story, Everyone on the Dis boards have made them would you want us to make a post about it, saying what a disgrace you were.

Thing is, I only make the same mistake once.

She's screwed up the words before. She is supposed to be a professional.

No. I am simply saying that it is a hard song to sing. And I think it is unfair to judge someone because they made a mistake on the song, especially when most people cannot do it (regardless of their professional status).

She screwed up, so what? Have you listened to singers on any of the award shows lately? MOST of them screw up or just sound horrible and that is on songs they sing constantly!

That's pretty much a run-of-the-mill day on the Dis boards, isn't it?:confused3

I think C.A. has a pretty voice, but she completely screwed this up.

No. I am simply saying that it is a hard song to sing. And I think it is unfair to judge someone because they made a mistake on the song, especially when most people cannot do it (regardless of their professional status).

She screwed up, so what? Have you listened to singers on any of the award shows lately? MOST of them screw up or just sound horrible and that is on songs they sing constantly!

She should not have accepted the job if she doesn't have the chops to handle it. There are plenty of singers who do a beautiful job with the song (see my other thread about this).

Not that hard.

High schoolers do it all the time, and perfectly.

Our DS's good friend, who has an exceptional voice, sang this last year, as a freshman, at the age of 14. Yes, he has some breath issues, but he nailed the notes AND the words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUwQWvjnqtQ

That is great! I hope he will be able to use his talent and become a great success. That is really wonderful.

And I hope that along his road to success, that he will be granted the premission to make a mistake or even to royally screw something up. To be. . . dare I say. . . human?

I guess it's a good thing that us normal folks don't live under the scrutiny of the entire country for our mess ups to be seen and flaunted. She isn't a house painter who used the wrong color, or a mechanic who forgot to put oil in during an oil change, or a carpenter who nailed something up crooked. She's a singer who messed up her song.

Everyone has bad days professionally. Everyone screws up at their job at some point. Just here on the DIS alone we can read lots of stories about teachers being screw ups. Singers are not exempt. They are not special or infallible.

I guess it's a good thing that us normal folks don't live under the scrutiny of the entire country for our mess ups to be seen and flaunted. She isn't a house painter who used the wrong color, or a mechanic who forgot to put oil in during an oil change, or a carpenter who nailed something up crooked. She's a singer who messed up her song.

Everyone has bad days professionally. Everyone screws up at their job at some point. Just here on the DIS alone we can read lots of stories about teachers being screw ups. Singers are not exempt. They are not special or infallible.

AMEN TO THAT!

There is not a single profession on this planet that is exempt from screwing up.

There isn't a teacher who never graded a paper wrong, a doctor who never missed a diagnosis, a garbage man who never forgot to pick up at a house, a house wife who never forgot to move the laundry from the washer to the dryer, a paralegal who's never forgotten an important document, etc. Was is a bad performance? A screw up at her job? You bet. The only difference is there were millions of people watching instead of just her boss and co-workers.

It's unfortunate and embarrassing for her, but for those of you being so harsh next time you screw up at work I hope someone makes a thread about you calling you a washed up has been over paid embarrassment.

She is a professional singer who makes quite a bit of money. I don't buy the "stage fright" or "lack of practice" as an excuse.

I go to Broadway on a regular basis. These people get paid a small fraction of these Hollywood types, yet they are always well prepared - I have never seen anyone flub a line.

Bottom line - if you want to be a "star" you have to do your homework.

So do I...and I've seen some beauties of onstage flubs, including one who "nah-nah'd" his way through a forgotten song lyric.

I've also seen Bruce Springsteen, Bono, and Bon Jovi flub lyrics to their own songs on stage at concerts. They get paid a fortune, and we paid a small fortune to see them. But it happens. And for the record - check out how many of those professional singers use teleprompters at their concerts. ;)

Paul McCartney changed one of the verses of "Carry That Weight," on one of his tours to "And this is the bit where I don't know the words..." :rotfl:

Should she have messed up like that? No. But she did. It happens. Won't be the first time, won't be the last. It wasn't a crime against humanity.

Don't know why I was singled out, I never said it was a crime against humanity, and I didn't start this thread. I do, however, stand by my opinion. :)

Don't know why I was singled out, I never said it was a crime against humanity, and I didn't start this thread. I do, however, stand by my opinion. :)

I was quoting your post because I simply disagreed with that particular point, no singling out was intended (and I love your Green Day pics, btw). :thumbsup2

I was just disagreeing because I have seen the pros screw up on stage plenty of times, both in concert and on Broadway. It just happens.

The "crime against humanity" comment was just about the outrage in general. Just think the whole thing is overblown.

I was quoting your post because I simply disagreed with that particular point, no singling out was intended (and I love your Green Day pics, btw). :thumbsup2

I was just disagreeing because I have seen the pros screw up on stage plenty of times, both in concert and on Broadway. It just happens.

The "crime against humanity" comment was just about the outrage in general. Just think the whole thing is overblown.

You gotta love BJ! :lovestruc (Well, *you* don't have to, but I do!)

Of course it's overblown, this is the Dis ;) I'm just bored and blowing off steam today :upsidedow

Everyone makes mistakes, it doesn't matter how small of an artist or how big it happens.....but to me the professional thing is to carry on and make light of it (though I doubt you'd get away with it considering the song, alot of people got upset about what happened with Roseanne singing it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter