• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Christmas 2020 visit. Insanity?

I've done five Christmas trips (some were pre Christmas and some pre-Christmas extending into the busy holiday period), primarily to visit with extended family who were going to be there (Personally it would not be when I would plan a trip to go to the parks). We stayed offsite, so costs weren't bad (rented nice offsite timeshare units from owners). Costs onsite are insane that time of year, but I can see onsite earlier fastpass perks and EMHs being a real plus. The week prior to Christmas is much less crowed than the time between Christmas and New Year (and you can see the crowds get a little heavier day by day approaching Christmas). The period between Christmas Eve and New Years day is the very busiest time of the year. There is a noticeable difference before this extremely busy period and during it. If you can do the slightly less busy pre-Christmas or post new year with people's schedules or more of that than the crazy busy period, I would seriously consider that (so much more pleasant).

For those who are not Disney diehards it really is an Insane thing to do IMHO. It's way too much for DH who doesn't like crowds, and I doubt we'll ever do it again. But who am I to talk as someone who has visited five times in that timeframe. And DH and I are still married. lol.

Honestly from what you have said about your brother, I'd scrap the idea of WDW if those were the only time choices. I'd do a different destination/trip. End of summer is just so hot and Christmas is just so crowded. I love Disney, but neither of those timeframes has any appeal to me. Often though you have to experience something yourself before you are in the camp that it really was a bad idea.

My extended family who we visited during these stays are true diehards. 18 hour days at the parks, no big deal. Rope drop mornings, naps and swimming in the afternoon, and back into the parks till they close at 2 a.m. to get a ride on Dumbo with the little kids with little wait were power for the course for my brother. They even did the MK on the New Years Eve Millennium (special night time show and fireworks), stayed from rope drop till closing (didn't dare leave with fear of not being able to get back in) and didn't get back to the condo till 5 a.m. due to crowds. We weren't there for this trip. I asked my dad what he thought about that with all the crowds and what he said was "It was so neat, one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Totally worth it". For people like my extended family, anytime is a good time and on top of regular vacation my brother's company has the time between Christmas Eve and New Year as a paid holiday.

Also, on the plus side even during crazy busy periods, resorts are never crowded as everyone is at the parks. Pool time at the resorts, some tennis, etc. were lots of fun and are really great way to spend some time if crowds start getting to you.

I think your post is key: Christmas (or any time) is a *great* time for those who already LOVE Disney. Based on the OP's description of her brother, I don't think he's going to come away with the same feeling.

When do the Christmas week crowds usually start? Is it Christmas Day thru new years or before? I know it’s always crowded now. But, when does it get crazy.

When do the Christmas week crowds usually start? Is it Christmas Day thru new years or before? I know it’s always crowded now. But, when does it get crazy.
With the way Christmas and New Year's day are falling this year in all likelihood crowds will get heavier starting Sat. Dec. 21st I would think and probably won't die down all that much until Jan. 6th. Those will be the prime two weeks that schools will be off. Within that crazy busy time if history repeats itself the time between Christmas and New Year will be the heaviest of the heavy crowds. I've usually seen the 24th-31st as the most crowded. That entire two week period, though, won't be any prize.

The brother won't have to plan/navigate the trip all on his own; the OP will do all of the planning for him. I think that makes a BIG difference.

None of us on the boards actually knows him except the OP. I just re-read the first post, and OP only says he is reluctant to go to WDW, but he's willing to pay top dollar to go.

I've been to WDW with first timers - even over the holidays. The key to a good trip, in large part, is knowing what they like and don't like, and trying to meet their needs. If the brother likes fine dining, he might not have any idea of the level of fine dining that exists at WDW. If he only went as a kid, he probably has no idea about many parts of WDW in 2020, because for example, he might not know that WDW serves adult beverages, or that he can get a Christmas tree delivered to his room.

It really depends why he's apprehensive, and how well the OP is able to listen and help him navigate options that meet his preferences.

There is a Youtube video from Disney Food Blog and it's geared toward bringing a Disney Hater

It talks about doing things like Disney Springs, fishing, golf and some of the tours. I did Marceline to the Magic Kingdom and it was a very interesting tour, talking more about the influences on Walt is creating the parks. Like for example. they had to fly in the glass before they put the roof on to do the Pepper's Ghost effect in Haunted Mansion because it was so big. And how they put a spare piece inside in case one ever breaks.

OP,
We have vacationed at WDW at various times of the year and found the days around Christmas to be the least favorable at the highest price and largest crowds. If asked to go at Thanksgiving or Christmas we would select Thanksgiving, but note we have done both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter