Christmas Day dinner I need Ideas....

dyna

DIS Veteran
Looks like I'm gonna be here with me myself an I on Christmas day. I think I'd like a special dinner but WHAT I do not know. It won't be steak that is the 1 thing I can't cook the way I like. I'll be honest I can't cook grill a steak worth crap.

Remember I'm cooking for 1.

What's your favorite thing to eat? If it was just me on Christmas, I'd pick my very favorite thing and make that. OR, get takeout the day before of something I really like and re-heat it. :)

Cooking for 1 - see, for Christmas, I treat myself to my one day of no cooking for the year.
So, I'd get takeout.
Around here, we do the Christmas Story's Peking Duck with other Chinese.
If I was you, I'd get the most expensive sushi rolls I could have delivered. I never treat myself to the really expensive ones, and if I only needed to feed myself one time, I would:)...

Looks like I'm gonna be here with me myself an I on Christmas day. I think I'd like a special dinner but WHAT I do not know. It won't be steak that is the 1 thing I can't cook the way I like. I'll be honest I can't cook grill a steak worth crap.

How about roasting one of those little cornish game hens?

Before I was married, I had many "me only" Christmases. I love the traditional stuff, so I'd get a 1/2 turkey breast (cooked on top of a pile of stuffing) with one or two mashed potatoes, and orange Jello salad. Sometimes I'd also make a small relish plate (carrots, celery, pickles, olives) as those would keep (if I didn't eat them all right away) for several days.

I have a really hard time cooking for 1. When left to my own devices it's either cereal or microwave popcorn. Do you have a favorite food that no one else likes? Or is super smelly? Or reminds you of a happy childhood memory?

I guess I would make homemade fettucine alfredo and scallops.

I like the idea of getting the smallest Prime Rib roast (or beef tendeloin roast) you can find (as the poster above). Roast this in the oven and save the rarer pieces for later in the week. I've found it reheats nicely for leftovers. No grill involved. Just get a good cut of meat and it will be delicious.

Sushi (delivered or takeout) sounds good to me. If you really want to cook you might consider a cornish game hen.
They're like small chickens so you can have a bit of white meat and some dark meat. It's possible to eat an entire hen, but you can always save leftovers for re-heat the next day. If you like this idea do a search for an apricot/almond glaze for the hen, it's a treat.

So many options completely dependent on what you want. I ate a solo dinner for T-Day but opted to cook for two and delivered a plate to a solo friend on the other side of town who is renowned in our circle for his inability to boil water (he uses his oven interior to store magazines :lmao:). I made a conscious decision to serve the same type of meal I would if more people were in attendance thus this was the final menu:

antipasti skewers
a clear mushroom soup
reversed seared Chateaubriand with a pan sauce( approximately 30 minutes active time), roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes
pumpkin spiced jelly roll/roulade filled with marscapone and candied ginger.

This Christmas, DGD will be here so for the two of us it will be:

An appetizer (still haven’t decided what but it will probably be veggie based)
Soup - mixed green soup with gremolata
Entree - porchetta with roasted fingerling potatoes roasted in the same pan, and braised leeks
Dessert - Christmas cookies and not sure what else yet.

Last edited:
I just ordered tamales from a specialty site - I ordered them for NYE, but if I had thought about it earlier it would have ordered them sooner so we could have them over Christmas....so I vote Tamales! But...that being said, the above suggestions for sushi (if that is your thing) sound pretty good, too. Something to be said about having YOUR favorite meal items as well, no matter what they are.
Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it , and your day is wonderful!

What I like about prime rib (or any slow-roasted cut of beef) is how wonderful it makes the house smell, all day long. So warm and homey.

I love sushi but it doesn't smell good, and when I pan-fry a steak it creates a smoky miasma that I try to clear rather than a pleasant aroma that I want to linger. I'm also not crazy about the smell of roasting fowl. I do like the garlicky scent of baking lasagna, I just don't personally associate it with Christmas.

tamales, rice, and beans. Nuke the tamales in the microwave to heat them all the way through. Then fry them a little bit in a pan with some oil...just enough to get the outside crispy. Of course, with the frying part, you have to take off the corn husk first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter