• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas Dinner...do you do casual or sit down dinner?

Christmas Eve is hard because it's a really busy work day, so the best we've come up with is getting take out and eating it at church inbetween church services. The problem is finding somewhere that is open to get the take out from. 2 years in a row now places that said they would be open until noon or 2 on Christmas Eve decided to close early day off and left me in the lurch.

Christmas Day we are exhausted. We usually throw together the monkey rolls/cinnamon rolls thing the night before and eat that for breakfast and then sometimes do Ham for the main meal, which is always a sit down meal for us. But one kid has begged me not to do ham this year so I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Sit down dinner but casual. There have been years when the kids were little that we stayed in our PJs all day and ate in them. We don't really do that anymore, but there is no dressing up since it is just us plus one guest.

Christmas Eve we all work and have to rush to get ready for the candlelight service at church so we usually skip a real dinner. After the service (around 8 or 8:30) we usually have a light meal/snacks at my parents house. It varies year to year, sometimes soup and sandwiches, sometimes appetizers, cookies, etc. Just whatever we think up in the day or two before.
Christmas Day we eat a heavy breakfast, then have something easy like spaghetti for dinner. It's just DH and I and DD this year so there's no reason to go too crazy on a big meal.

Our family parties are the weekend before Christmas. We have bigger meals at those events.

Christmas Eve: We make pasta carbonara and the kids open their Christmas PJs and Christmas books. The tradition where we live is to serve tamales on Christmas Eve but my family isn't a huge fan of tamales. On Christmas Day the kids stay in their Christmas pjs but we eat Christmas dinner in the dining room on my Christmas dishes. We usually eat a spiral ham with sides and have bread pudding for dessert but we're trying something new this year. A few ago, I had major surgery on my knee and wasn't up to hosting a big traditional Christmas dinner so we decided to have a more casual dinner inspired by Mexican traditions. The family had so much fun with it that we decided to have a Christmas dinner inspired by British traditions this year.

Christmas Evening

Once dinner is eaten, those who were involved in the main cooking relax and everyone else tidies up and cleans the kitchen.

We usually then head to the living room, to watch some TV, usually the family film on BBC 1

Alcohol helps with the TV program choices, people either stick with what they were drinking during the meal or switch to their preferred alcohol. I must add, that we are all adults, all over 40 , no teens, and just one 4 pre school child. Obviously the pre schooler is not having alcohol!

Once the big meal has settled, its dessert time. This again for my family is not that formal. Its really a help yourself to whatever you like.

We always have a bowl of fresh dairy cream https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255674652 which has been hand whipped in the fridge to accompany the desserts.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

The selection on offer would be

Mince Pies
Despite the name, these are a individual sweet dried fruit pies. There are various types and brands, from these ones which are the basic ones to deluxe high end ones. Some people make their own, some people have store bought.
mince pies.jpg

Mince pies can be eaten cold or can be warmed in the oven or microwave. Using a microwave to warm them takes years of practice, as the filling contains sugar which heats at a higher temperature than the pastry case. Over the years, many a mince pie has been over heated and exploded!

Some people eat the mince pies on their own, some people accompany them with a dollop of whipped cream, and some people accompany them with custard. The custard is traditionally Birds custard, either made from powder or bought ready made. This custard is thick and deep yellow, and is not the same as French Creme Anglais. Other brands of custard are available ,including store own brands and again there are various price ranges, depending on the grocery store.
https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258869377
custard powder.jpg

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=289418006 https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256525603
made custard.jpg

Christmas Cake https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259193229 This used to be a big tradition to make your own cake, but now a days its not as popular. Its a rich , heavy fruit cake and each family would have their own recipe, handed down through generations. My grandmothers and my mum when I was a child would make this around Halloween time and then soak it weekly with alcohol to mature until Christmas. They would first cover it in a layer of marzipan / almond paste and then cover the marzipan with Royal Icing. Most families now just buy a small version of Christmas cake just to have in the house.

christmas cake.jpg

Christmas Pudding https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255886418
This is another traditional cake that my mum and grandmothers would make, again around Halloween time. It has similar ingredients to Christmas Cake, dried fruit etc but it is boiled not baked. I remember my mum (1970's housewife) would use the pressure cooker to cook these and there was a big effort made of preparing the cooking bowls. They needed layers of greaseproof paper and tinfoil, folded in a certain way and tied with string, which included making a handle. My mum used plastic bowls but the traditional way was ceramic bowls. Again, once cooked, they were soaked with alcohol and matured until Christmas.

At Christmas, they would be unmoulded from the bowl, sprinkled with brandy and set on fire and then brought to the table.

Nowadays, most people just have store bought
christmas pudding.jpg

Sherry Trifle https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258870038
Some families make their own, some use the Bird Trifle Kit, some people have store bought. Traditionally it is strawberry jelly (gello) tinned peaches, pears and pineapple, sponge cake (pound cake) custard - see above and whipped fresh dairy cream. During the preparation the sponge cake (pound cake) is usually soaked with Sherry - Red Spanish Wine https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257467883
trifle.jpg

After the family film is over, its usually time for the "soaps" Eastenders and Coronation Street.
These are long running programs, Eastenders is set in a working class area East End of London. Coronation Street is set in a working class area of the North of England city of Manchester. Eastenders started in 1985 and Coronation Street started in 1960. The Christmas Day Evening is prime time TV , so both of these programs usually have a dramatic or emotional story line which climaxes in the Christmas Day episodes.

When Downtown Abbey was being broadcast, this would also have a special Christmas Day episode, which again was prime time viewing.

During the soaps, the tins of sweets will be passed around and if you want it, more alcohol. There is usually a selection of Roses, Celebrations, Quality Street and Heros. All usually the same size tins / tubs as this photo. We also have crisps (chips)
celebrations tub.jpg

sweets.JPG

hereos.jpg

By about 10pm, people will be starting to "nap" on the sofa's and eventually start heading to bed.

Day After Christmas Day
In Ireland its called St Stephens Day, in The UK they call it Boxing Day

In Ireland St Stephens Day is traditionally a day to celebrate the life of St Stephen a Christian / Catholic Saint with connections to Ireland. Some parts of Ireland, people dress like beggers / poor people and sing a traditional song and collect money for charity.

In The UK, it was traditionally a day when the wealthy people would give "boxes of money or presents" to their servants, trades people or charities.

In both countries it is a public holiday, with banks and most businesses and transport closed. It is a day to spend with family or to do charity events. Depending on where you live some families go for a walk, go to a pantomime theatre show, visit family and friends, etc etc.

Or you can just spend it on the sofa, watching Christmas TV, vegging out.

Food on this day in my family is called stretch or starve day. Basically there is enough food left over from Christmas Day and everyone just helps themselves, and grazes before passing out while watching more Christmas TV.

I really enjoyed this—thank you for posting. Other people’s traditions have always interested me and yours was so full of detail. I had heard of most of the foods before—Yorkshire pudding, mince pies, but didn’t really know much about them.

It totally depends on where we're eating and how many people are coming. If at all possible we do a formal sit down. If the space doesn't allow it we'll do buffet style but the menu doesn't change and we still use the best tableware/linens each of us has. It's a special meal and we love it to be festive!

For the last two years just due to "reasons", we've done our main feast on a day other than Christmas and DH, DS and I have been on our own for Christmas Day. We went out to a movie both times and had movie junk food for dinner.

Last edited:

Sit down Turkey dinner x 2. One Christmas Eve and one Christmas Day with each side of the family.

The only tradition we participate in every year is Christmas brunch. It's bagels, cream cheese (or flavored schmears), lox, sometimes other smoked fish, red onions, capers, cucumbers etc. We also have a fruit salad that is all separated out--you make your own. My favorite parts are the grapefruit supremes because I'm usually too lazy for that, and the toasted coconut, because it's the only time of year I have that. Last year, we had the bagels, schmears, smoked sturgeon, smoked sable fish, and pickled herring shipped from Russ and Daughters in NYC. It was amazing.

That's with extended family. For dinner, they have a formal dinner, but we started skipping out the last few years. We've gone to a Chinese buffet before, but this year, we ordered Joe's KC BBQ from Goldbelly (same as the Russ and Daughter's order). I plan to make some side dishes and a dessert, and serve them up with the BBQ.

We do Christmas brunch at my parents house. It's more formal, my mom loves setting a fancy table. For Christmas dinner we also order chinese takeout. We do all sit around the table. My kids are all almost grown so it's rare everyone is together for a meal. This will actually be the first Christmas not everyone will be home.

IHop became a Christmas Day tradition about 6yrs ago. We usually go around 1pm, great for anyone wanting breakfast or dinner, lol. Last year we tried to suggest something else but all the kids had a fit saying "its our TRADITION!" So IHop it is, lol. This year it will just be myself, 2 daughters & 4 of the grandkids (ages 16-18-18-25). My son & his 3 boys used to tag along but now he has a new fiancee & they are doing a blended family trip starting Christmas Day.
Christmas Eve we will all be together tho for finger foods, desserts & to exchange gifts.

Our big meal is on Christmas Eve. On the menu:

Appetizers: Guacamole, Queso fundido and chips. Veggies and dip.
Soup course: Calabaza soup
Entree: Tamales, Carne guisada, Arroz con Pollo, Borracho beans, Homemade corn and flour tortillas
Dessert: Polvorones, Sopapilla cheesecake bars and assorted cookies

One Christmas Day we do a big brunch and then go to the movies later in the afternoon to one of the dine-in theaters in town and eat there. That's when I finally have a chance to take a nap!

Our meals change every year. My DD21 works in hospitality, so our eating/celebrating revolves around her. This year we will have Christmas Eve lunch at home - steak and shrimp. Christmas Day we will be going out to brunch at a resort (reminds me of Disney - ice sculptures, piano player, decked out for the holidays) and then that evening we will do appetizers, that for some reason, we only make/eat at Christmas and play board games.
When my kids were younger I use to host a big meal both Eve and Day. But, now that has become 30+ people each day with extended family and I just can't do it anymore. I can't accommodate all of those people, plus I just don't want to! I'm getting old and tired!

Last edited:
Casual on Christmas Eve. We have seafood for dinner. Food comes out in shifts and everyone just picks at it. There's usually 20-25 people.

Christmas day is a more formal. sit down dinner. The menu changes from year to year. Sometimes prime rib roast, sometimes ham.

We go to my Aunt's house for Christmas dinner and it's fancy sit down. She gets out the china, crystal, silver flatware, etc. I wish it wasn't so fancy because then after dinner we spent twice as long as we did eating carefully hand washing all this fancy stuff. I'd rather just eat off everyday plates that could go in the dishwasher and spend the time after dinner visiting.

We sit down in the dining room to eat dinner on Christmas, but all the foods are in the kitchen on the island and everyone fills their own plate.
Eve we sit in the family room. It is always Subway. DD will not let us change.....it is tradition for over 35 years

Christmas Eve we have just local family which is about 10 depending on who is in town. We have a sit down dinner using our nice Christmas china and glassware. We typically have things I can make ahead and just put in the oven when we get home from church - stuffed shells, chicken parm, always brownie sundaes for dessert with warm brownies fresh from the oven.

Christmas Day we have extended family and friends over, usually 20-25 guests. We serve beef tenderloin and everyone brings side dishes like Mac & cheese, grilled veggies, mashed potatoes and lots of home made desserts. We serve it all buffet style but sit at 2 big tables set with those nice plastic plates that look like china and the silver plastic cutlery. I tried using my nice dishes for 20+ one year but the clean up was just too much after the long day.

Christmas eve - we are going over to the neighbors -- whole roasted chickens with potatoes, sides - wild rice and mushroom medley, glazed carrots, green beans, and some appetizers, Dessert - pistachio cake, and brownies...

We are celebrating our family Christmas early, I am making brunch... Ham , Messy Eggs with cheese, Cinnamon Roll French toast casserole, sausage and gravy, biscuits, hash-brown casserole, a fruit Kringle, and fruit dip with fresh fruit...

As far as Christmas day... DH and I are planning to go either to the parks, or just hang out at home... if we stay home we will do something on the grill...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter