Christmas Dishes and Glassware

I started with a 12 piece set of Phaltzgraff Christmas tree stoneware about 20 years ago when my daughters were young. We would use them every day from the day after Thanksgiving until the first week of January. I then bought 4 place settings of solid red Fiestaware dishes to be able to serve my Christmas day company, too. Two years ago, both of my daughters got engaged and our Christmas dinner expanded to 12 people. I was able to find the same Phaltzgraff dishes on Ebay and added a couple more red Fiesta pieces. I love using those dishes for the 6 weeks each year! We have the tall 42" cabinets in our kitchen, so I'm able to store all the dishes on the top shelves of them. I swap the Christmas tree and red dishes out with my every day dishes so that when we're using them, they're in a convenient cabinet near the sink and dishwasher.

I have 2 sets. One was used once the other never opened. I even hosted Christmas for about 16 years and only used it the first year. Much rather buy the nice disposable stuff from Costco!!!

Yes, I actually took a picture of my holiday dishes for this instead of trying to describe the pattern. :laughing:

We use them as our everyday dishes during the season. The colors make them Christmas-y but the pattern not so much. No trees, reindeer, etc., so I'll sometimes use them throughout the rest of the year too, if I need another serving platter or more place settings than our other dish sets can cover (I can do twenty settings with this one), or even for reasons as simple as these bowls are better for soup than our others. I get a lot more use out of these dishes than I initially expected I would. They live year round on the top shelves of my kitchen dish cabinets.

image.jpeg

I also put my Christmas dishes out right after Thanksgiving and use them until about mid January. I love them. It is the Nikko pattern (link below). I have service for 12. I purchased

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Nikko-C...nal-Christmas-Tree-2-Bowls-NICE-/112561057086

I purchased these to store them in instead of the boxes they came in.

https://www.amazon.com/Household-Es...75&sr=8-1&keywords=red+and+green+dish+storage

I have dinner plates, salad plates, dessert plates, soup bowls, smaller bowls and assorted platters/serving dishes. Also have assorted holiday glassware.

I have a basement with cabinets that I store them in during the rest of the year.

MJ

I have a cheap set of holiday dishes plus add ons and serving pieces that I got years ago from Target. I take them out when the kids start their vacation and put them back in storage when they go back to school. I'm not really fond of the pattern anymore, I basically got them because I was shopping the 90% Christmas clearance and employees were bringing out carts full of the stuff, so I grabbed a ton of things.
Every year I think about getting rid of them and just getting some holiday paper plates to use on Christmas Day. We don't host a big holiday dinner, and when people do pop in to visit I end up using paper stuff anyway.

I have a small set that I take out as soon after Thanksgiving as I can and use through Christmas and a few days after. They're stored in their box in the attic in between seasons.

I have a Wedgwood range called Country Village built up over many years - I get it down from the attic (well DH does!) early December and use it right through to New Year. I doubt any of the family will want it when I go!

I ha awesome set of Wedgewood & Waterford my parents bought for me at an estate sale. I used them for years. Quite the pia, they could not be put in dishwasher or micro due to guilding. Used them for years. 5 years ago sold them at auction, paid for our cruise.

I now use my favorite dishes. Past down to me from my DGM. She bought them at Kresges - think the Woolworths or Walmart of the 1920s. I love them

I also put my Christmas dishes out right after Thanksgiving and use them until about mid January. I love them. It is the Nikko pattern (link below). I have service for 12. I purchased
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Nikko-C...nal-Christmas-Tree-2-Bowls-NICE-/112561057086
I purchased these to store them in instead of the boxes they came in.

https://www.amazon.com/Household-Es...75&sr=8-1&keywords=red+and+green+dish+storage

I have dinner plates, salad plates, dessert plates, soup bowls, smaller bowls and assorted platters/serving dishes. Also have assorted holiday glassware.
I have a basement with cabinets that I store them in during the rest of the year.
MJ

We have the same Nikko Christmas tree pattern but our dishes are round with the scalloped edges. They are very pretty but I'm just wondering if they are worth storing if we only use them once or twice a year. I appreciate the comments from everyone as it gives me things to think about. I'm leaning towards getting rid of the glassware and keeping the dishes (at least for now).

OP, if you truly don't want it try selling it. There may be someone out there who are looking for pieces in the same pattern you have. And it would go to someone who would it give it a good home and use it.

We have the same Nikko Christmas tree pattern but our dishes are round with the scalloped edges. They are very pretty but I'm just wondering if they are worth storing if we only use them once or twice a year. I appreciate the comments from everyone as it gives me things to think about. I'm leaning towards getting rid of the glassware and keeping the dishes (at least for now).

That's the one I want. I have the Nikko Blue Peony. And I love the teddy bear under the tree. So I bought the cake plate to placate myself! LOL

As for storing my fancy china, we didn't have a lot of space so I didn't get the complete set. I only bought the plates. That's all I really needed. I have a set of plain white serving pieces that I can use all year long.

If I had the space I'd probably be like Mirielle with tons of patterns.

Thanksgiving dinner is served on the china that I inherited from my mom's mother - it was what she always served Thanksgiving on. From then until about a week after Christmas, we use the Pfalzgraff Snow Bear Christmas dishes (although DH uses the glasses year-round because he hates our current ones), then Easter is on the china that my father "gave" to me (after my Nan passed away... he downsized and "gave" me lots... by leaving random boxes in my garage when I wasn't home :rotfl2:). The rest of the year is Fiestaware.

I use my Christmas dishes from early December thru New Year's Day and a little beyond. It's really not that difficult nor time consuming to exchange them for the everyday dishes. They're in the upper corner cabinets in my kitchen and it takes maybe 30 minutes tops. I do have to get out the step ladder.

Service for 8 of this pattern I got at Target in the late 90's. Dinner plates, salad plates, soup bowls, mugs, and glasses. Plus about a dozen serving/accessory pieces: large platter, 10 x 13 baking dish, elevated cake plate, S & P shakers, candy dish, etc.

Furio-Italy-Sponge-Christmas-Tree-Dinnerware-12-Plates.jpg
Furio Christmas Tree Sponge

I also have 4 dinner plates, just the plates, of an old Fiestaware pattern.

87650c5f7be0271787656cefe1b6bf5b--fiesta-ware-christmas-patterns.jpg

OP, this is a company that purchases tableware, then resells it to people who are looking for replacement pieces.

http://www.replacements.com/misc/selltous.htm

I've never bought or sold with this company and I don't know how much they'd be willing to pay, but it might be worth looking into if you decide you want to unload your holiday dishes. At the very least, you might be able to help someone find that piece they've been looking for.

My mom received a few pieces of Spode Christmas servicing pieces as gifts. She then filled in here and there, finally getting place settings for 8. As much as I liked them, never really wanted another set of dishes to use for such a short amount of time.

Went to friends 25 years ago, they had Christmas dishes and all of a sudden I wanted Christmas dishes. We have 8 place setting and all serving pieces. Haven't used them in years. We are a small family and just find it too much work to pull out.

Thinking about selling but just don't know the best way to go about it.

My mom has Christmas Dishes that we only use for Christmas Eve. The rest of the year they are stored in the basement.

This thread made me realize that I have an obscene amount of dishes. I own two sets of china that were my grandma's. I have a set of Fire Kings that were my other grandma's. My dishes are plain white Fiesta, but I also own a place setting in each and every color as well. I have regular Corelle from when the kids were little and they could not break it. I now own holiday Corelle as well.

I think I will start using the Christmas Corelle for the whole season. Good idea!

OP, this is a company that purchases tableware, then resells it to people who are looking for replacement pieces.

http://www.replacements.com/misc/selltous.htm

I've never bought or sold with this company and I don't know how much they'd be willing to pay, but it might be worth looking into if you decide you want to unload your holiday dishes. At the very least, you might be able to help someone find that piece they've been looking for.

These people personally know me. They're great folks!

We have a lovely set of Christmas dishes and matching glassware. We really only use it on Christmas Eve and I am considering whether I want to keep it anymore. It seems a waste of space to store this set when we rarely use it more than once a year. We've had this set for more than 20 years. It started as a gift and grew to more than 12 place settings and many serving pieces to accommodate family. I could easily use the china we now have and decorate with table linens and some easy to store décor items.

I'm curious how many of you have holiday tableware and how often you use it.

Get rid of it. You don't need it. Just give it away. I'll do my civic duty by taking it off your hands if you like. :) HAHA.

I ha awesome set of Wedgewood & Waterford my parents bought for me at an estate sale. I used them for years. Quite the pia, they could not be put in dishwasher or micro due to guilding. Used them for years. 5 years ago sold them at auction, paid for our cruise.

I now use my favorite dishes. Past down to me from my DGM. She bought them at Kresges - think the Woolworths or Walmart of the 1920s. I love them
That's a great way to use it! Some of mine have gilding - I got a lot of mine from the Wedgwood factory shop which is less than an hours drive away for us. If I could ship it to the US and exchange it for a cruise I would! ;)

I have an obscene amount of Pfalzgraff Winterberry. (pic below)

It started simply enough when I mentioned to my mother that I would like some Christmas dishes. For the next 5+ years it was a never ending supply of Pfalzgraff winterberry products...I have place settings for 12, several platters, gravy boats, spoon rest, candle holders, trays, snack dishes, a full set of matching silverware, cheese tray, wine glasses, table runner....and on and on and on...I'm pretty sure she bought EVERYTHING they made in Winterberry.

It takes up a ton of space in my attic, but I don't think I could get rid of it. I used to get it out every year, drag all of the boxes downstairs and all of my every day plates upstairs to the attic. However, I haven't gotten it out in about three years because it feels like a hassle.....

I think I'm going to get it out this year, since my mother mentioned it last Christmas, and I felt horrible.
winterberry plate.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter